PDA

View Full Version : Brake question

Voodoo Chick
05-05-2009, 03:19 PM
How hot is "normal" for a drum brake after driving for a bit? The passenger-side drum on my RS feels quite warm, not burning hot, you can touch it without searing your skin, but it seems hot. We have removed the entire assembly and re-assembled it correctly, there is nothing binding or catching, nothing rubbing, wheel turns freely, no oil or fluids leaking, bearing and seal were correctly replaced, axle shafts are fine, shoes replaced......is it possible I'm just being paranoid? I have never touched a drum after a drive before, so I honestly don't know what is "normal." Right now, my lack of experience/knowledge with this is really embarassing..........:(

Irish
05-05-2009, 03:31 PM
No they should be ice cold lol.... :goof

I am sure they are fine. Everything gets warm from friction.

84hurst
05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
It's gonna be pretty warm but shouldn't be extremely hot, unless you're doing repeated hard stops. Everything sounds normal to me.

88Nightmare
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
its normal. like irish said, brakes work off of friction. metal retains heat for awhile. the stuff is going to be warm for sure.

Voodoo Chick
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks, guys......I am still in the learning process about alot of stuff, and I get really freaked out easily. I appreciate the reassurance. :) You all saved me from a panic-attack, lol!

jbiscuit
05-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Caution. Might be hot. Don't touch it. :rolf Just joshin ya

lordairgtar
05-05-2009, 06:58 PM
It's even normal for brakes to glow red at night from the heat, especially race cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvz0OdZrOw&feature=related

1320PNY
05-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Some simple facts to be helpful...

Touch without pulling away by hand is typically 150 degrees. Metal takes on a brownish hue after it is heated in excess of 220 degrees. It will take on shades of blue and purple when it gets in the 500 degree range.

Your brake fluid is good for boiling over 240 degrees, so typically if the metal hasn't taken on a brownish hue, you haven't done any damage.

Voodoo Chick
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Once again, thanks all.......I guess until I started having a few brake-issues with this car, I NEVER thought to touch a drum to see how hot they were after driving.....it's something I just simply overlooked, and didn't notice until just these last few days. It would make sense that they would get hot, though......but why is it that the drum on the driver's side stays cool? Only the pass. side drum gets really hot..........

Russ Jerome
05-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Drum brake rear only does 20-30% braking, 110*-160* would be
normal. Your front rotors do substantialy more work and expect
180* plus temps after driving. Anything over 120* you wont be
able to touch it, in the 100-110* area you could breifly touch it.

Voodoo Chick
05-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I can briefly touch it. I can't touch it for a long time, but I can touch it for about 2-3 seconds before it burns. The driver's side drum, though, is only warm, I could keep my hand on it for minutes.....it's that mild.....

Russ Jerome
05-05-2009, 09:59 PM
An infa red heat gun is indispensable for checking for draging
calipers or loose wheel cylinders on brakes. Good investment
to diag cylinder issues on non electronic cars. I keep on at home
to mess with the cat and one at work to check girls temprature :)

Voodoo Chick
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
All I know is that I have one evil bastard of a migraine headache right now from worrying (sp?) about this car.......I think I'm about to have a Camaro-induced aneurysm...........