PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Thompsons-FTW.

STANMAN
05-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Going from Nittos to Mickeys was the best choice I ever made on my car, I really can't believe the difference. It was semi-cold last night by the time I got to really try them, cold enough that the Nitto's would have been useless, and the MT's just dead hooked. I am sure some of it was going from 305/35/18 to 305/45/18, but wow is it a night and day difference. No more traction excuses, now when I lose it's all me:rolf

I just hope they last longer than the 3000 miles everyone says. Also a big THANKS to John @ Fast Times, and to Greg and others for sending me there. He beat the Jegs price by $10 a tire, no shipping, had them in a day, and charged me a whole $5 a tire for mounting and balancing, while I waited. Big thumbs up:thumbsup

MoCkiN U
05-05-2009, 06:04 AM
I havent roasted my tires yet mainly due to being exspensive and they I have 5K on mine already and no issues. If they get some steady track time I can see them not lasting worth a poo

USMARINE1108
05-05-2009, 07:09 AM
What Nittos did you have on there?

BAD LS1
05-05-2009, 07:20 AM
mine didnt survive the tuning process. They were cool cuz they didnt squeal, but they hated freeway driving and protested by shedding rubber in sheets just about. They did hook OK too.

STANMAN
05-05-2009, 07:21 AM
What Nittos did you have on there?

555R's, their drag radial.

Greg@GLD
05-05-2009, 07:42 AM
The difference is like night and day Bob, but like Tom said, they go bald FAST so enjoy them. You really shouldn't need to do any burnout with them other than a mild "cleaning".
You also are going to be putting more stress on your driveline now, so be aware of that as well.

SBC-Fox
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
mine didnt survive the tuning process. They were cool cuz they didnt squeal, but they hated freeway driving and protested by shedding rubber in sheets just about. They did hook OK too.

I almost think you had shitty rubber or somthing i drove mine to our cabin up north 3 or 4 times and to the dells twice never had any problems with hwy driving however there dangerous than a mofo in any bit of rain.

Glad they worked out and didnt rub on the stang:thumbsup

BAD LS1
05-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I almost think you had shitty rubber or somthing i drove mine to our cabin up north 3 or 4 times and to the dells twice never had any problems with hwy driving however there dangerous than a mofo in any bit of rain.

Glad they worked out and didnt rub on the stang:thumbsup

This was 2 years ago now, so maybe? But 750 ft/lbs going through them, not much is gonna hold up to that. Hence why they last 600 miles w/o one stationary burn out.

MoCkiN U
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
however there dangerous than a mofo in any bit of rain.

OMG YES!! Was coming back from vernon 2 week ago and caught in a small shower. The streets were fine it was in the turns where they wanted to slide out but the all out worst was when I hit a puddle of standing water. Almost went into the guard rail a few times just from that and I was under 50mph on 94 in IL. You cant drive on the I down there at that speed without getting ran over so I ended up taking a exit over to 41 and coming home

Sprayaway Fox
05-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Im gonna bring the Nitto pain STANMAN!:rolf.....PS. Im gonna need a long burnout.

I like my Nittos mainly due to wear and if you ever got caught out in the pouring rain after a carshow youll like Nittos better, even if it is one time.

FourEyedFord
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I have the MT Radials on my car, and at the track they seemed to disappear before your eyes! You could visably see a difference in tread depth at the end of the day. They won't last probably more than a season, but they are the best performing drag radial you will ever own.

Irish
05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I have heard that they are at there best right before they show the cords.. like a slick almost. Is that true. I have only run Nitto's and Slicks.

FourEyedFord
05-05-2009, 04:06 PM
I have heard that they are at there best right before they show the cords.. like a slick almost. Is that true. I have only run Nitto's and Slicks.

With the BFGs I have heard that is true. The MTs however, seem to be pretty sticky from beginning to end. I've heard that taking them too far down can actually have a negative effect, but I have never taken a set down that far yet. I am buying a fresh set for my car this year before I take it to the track. On my current set the center lines are almost gone, and the outter "slashes" are much shorter than they used to be.

STANMAN
05-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Pics of the tires.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/STANMAN74/WeddingandMickeys038.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/STANMAN74/WeddingandMickeys035.jpg

Squatch
05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
The rug adds a nice touch......

Irish
05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
With the BFGs I have heard that is true. The MTs however, seem to be pretty sticky from beginning to end. I've heard that taking them too far down can actually have a negative effect, but I have never taken a set down that far yet. I am buying a fresh set for my car this year before I take it to the track. On my current set the center lines are almost gone, and the outter "slashes" are much shorter than they used to be.

Thanks!:thumbsup

michelle
05-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Need some whitewalls now!

michelle
05-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Also, me thinks the car should be trailered down to get the shaker installed because of those new tires. Or do you have another set of rears?

07ROUSHSTG3
05-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Also, me thinks the car should be trailered down to get the shaker installed because of those new tires. Or do you have another set of rears?

if you need a set of tires to drive down there bob, i have my old nittos in the garage. they have some life left on them. i will not be mounting them, actually i was going to toss them. let me know if you want them. don;t know the size off the top of my head.

Reverend Cooper
05-05-2009, 07:44 PM
I drive my BFG Drag Radils every where. Whats the point if you gotta have 2 different sets.Ask Greg mine wear fine and hook great.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-05-2009, 07:49 PM
The rug adds a nice touch......

i was thinking the same thing, LOL!

STANMAN
05-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I have another set of 18X9 white bullits with 275/40/18's on them that I will be driving down there on.

The rug is sweet isn't it. I baby my car, what can I say:rolf

PureSound15
05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Hmm.... I guess it looks OK because it has the whole retro thing going on. Certainly it's a "your cup of tea" kind of thing.

Cool though, thanks for posting a pic.

STANMAN
05-05-2009, 08:55 PM
if you need a set of tires to drive down there bob, i have my old nittos in the garage. they have some life left on them. i will not be mounting them, actually i was going to toss them. let me know if you want them. don;t know the size off the top of my head.

Thanks for the offer, but I have another set:thumbsup

Adamsy87
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Great tires! I also noticed that they wear quickly. I at least have some tread left but I'm sure that will go quickly on my first trip to the track this year.

70 cutlass 442
05-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I love my et streets, had a 200 hit going through it on my 5.0 and never let me down!

retro_pony
05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Good talking to you today Bob - thought I'd check out the new tires... man, that's some BIG rubber!!! How about some shots from behind (mind out of the gutters everyone) to show the width and tread of the tires?

STANMAN
05-06-2009, 08:19 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/STANMAN74/WeddingandMickeys036.jpg

Not a very good one, I will get one that's closer.

FANAT1C
05-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Nice! Looks like you mean business.
Would like to see a few pics from the side, showing the whole side.

Smokey1226
05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I cant wait to see what my Et Streets look like on my new rims!

stenchmiester
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I have another set of 18X9 white bullits with 275/40/18's on them that I will be driving down there on.

The rug is sweet isn't it. I baby my car, what can I say:rolf

bob get ahold of me and any other bcm members who want nice rugs for in there shops i get the commercial grade ones u see in stores and resturants (spell?) so pm me for pricing