PDA

View Full Version : are all farm and fleet parts ppl retarded?

88Nightmare
05-04-2009, 04:04 PM
After not being able to get ahold of two outdoor power equipment companies (busy signals at both places for over half an hour), I called my local Farm and Fleet small engine department. I wanted to know if they had my lawn mower spark plug in stock. At the time of the phone call, I did not remove my spark plug to get the model off of it, but I did have the model to my lawn mower. Some kid answered. I asked if they had any spark plugs for the Honda Harmony HRR216 mower in stock. All I hear is "uhh......" for about 30 seconds, and then he puts the call on hold. He picks up about a minute later, asks me what model mower it is. I told him. I know for sure thats the model because its stickered on the front of the deck, and there is a sticker on the discharge chute giving specific model information. I tell him the model again, all I hear is "uhh...." repeatedly. Then he asks if I know what series it is. Judging from the model number, it must be an HRR series. He says so is it a WM or WR or WX series? NO, its an HRR. Its stickered all over the mower. Then I just get another 45 seconds worth oh "uhh" out of him. I finally said forget it, and hung up the phone.

To me, I figured spark plugs would be commonly known parts. I worked at a harley dealership in parts for about 10 months. When those guys call or stop in, they EXPECT that the person behind the counter they are talking to is just as knowledgable about the bike as they are. If they have any feeling you don't know what you are talking about, they generally start calling you names and walk out. And honestly, whenever I call for parts, whether its mower parts, 4wheeler parts, car parts, I expect the guy on the other end of the phone knows what he is doing. I don't know what the farm and fleet kid's deal was. Its not like I was asking for a gold plated crankshaft :durr

So I guess the summary of the story was after deciding to stop being lazy, I went and pulled the plug and called napa with the model number and they have like 11 in stock. But I figured any decent parts guy would know or could easily find what spark plug I needed.

Korndogg
05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
yeah they pretty much all are there. The good small engine guys left back when I was there.

Rocket Power
05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Well the Honda Harmony might be the gheyest named outdoor equipment ever. :goof
I would've just pulled a plug and asked for it, rather than make them look it up and hope they got it right

88Nightmare
05-04-2009, 04:23 PM
yeah its a pretty gay name, but the thing is awesome. starts 1 pull every time

TheRX7Project
05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I would've went in with the plug and said it was for some sort of manlier sounding machine... like a Yamaha sausage smoker lol

LIL EVO
05-04-2009, 04:47 PM
ngk.com, use the drop downs!

Make: HONDA
Motor Model: HRR216
Model: 5.5 hp. GCV160

plug - BPR6ES

napa has them in stock for $2 something. Same plug as a dsm

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Here's what I do. Take plug out, drive to Napa and get new plug then I go home and put the plug back in and with 10 primes the 10 year old Briggs and ScrapIron 6 horse starts on the first pull after sitting all winter. Tennessee quality baby ! :rolf

subliminal1284
05-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Its not so much they are retarded, most of the people farm and fleet hire are fresh out of high school they arent going to actually know anything about the department they work in. They just look stuff up in a book or a computer and if its not there they are lost. Blame farm and fleet for hiring people they can pay less rather than people who actually know what they are talking about.

Korndogg
05-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I wont walk in that store since i quit.

awsomeears
05-04-2009, 06:23 PM
You might be retarded :wooo :thumbsup

When you need a spark plug or any part that is ON THE ACTUALLY ENGINE you need the Model and Serial off of the ACTUAL ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!

Korndogg
05-04-2009, 06:28 PM
oh noes large font!

:rolleyes:

It would have been impossible to read your post without it!

BoosTT
05-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm guessing you were expecting more from farm and fleet? lol.

Also- who doesen't have a small engine spark plug in stock?

lordairgtar
05-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Should just asked for the oldest guy there.

Karps TA
05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
The F&F guy did nothing wrong. The model of the equipment really isn't going to help anybody. There is no easy way of looking up that info. You really do need the engine model number. Various engines could have been put on a single model. Spark plug mfgs' don't create a book that crossreferences equipment, just engines.

HY35F2T
05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
could of just spent the 10 seconds it takes to pull the plug out and get the number.:rolleyes:

For some reason though they do like to hire ppl that dont know shit i applied when i was in highschool and the kid that didnt even know lawn mowers are carb got hired lol.

Yeehaw
05-04-2009, 06:59 PM
You might be retarded :wooo :thumbsup

When you need a spark plug or any part that is ON THE ACTUALLY ENGINE you need the Model and Serial off of the ACTUAL ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!

this is true my books for off highway apps mostly go by engine

easiest thing bring plug in so the employee can grab the plug number off it cross it their number and get ya on your way

TURTLE
05-04-2009, 08:00 PM
cross-ref ftw!

jakedrew
05-04-2009, 08:48 PM
just bring the whole lawnmower in next time.

Rocket Power
05-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I would've went in with the plug and said it was for some sort of manlier sounding machine... like a Yamaha sausage smoker lol

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

88Nightmare
05-04-2009, 09:05 PM
just bring the whole lawnmower in next time.

lol. pick it up and set it on the counter. I need a plug for this.

After looking around, thinking about the questions he was asking me, he was referring to the honda commercial mower line. And btw, all the harmony residential mowers have the same 160cc engine, the differences have to do with side discharge, rear discharge, bag options, mulching options....etc.

claimsman
05-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Simple answer YES

Voodoo Chick
05-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Maybe he just hasn't really learned the parts yet.....maybe in a year or so, if he stays there, he'll be more adept.

Korndogg
05-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Should just asked for the oldest guy there.

thats the problem. the old guys that worked there when i was there left and now its high school kids that don't know anything about them

udlose98
05-04-2009, 10:37 PM
as a former employee, not in automotive, i can say yes...yes they are.

DRK
05-05-2009, 07:19 AM
are all farm and fleet parts ppl retarded?

I'm not sure, do you work there?