PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded 9" WAR case

Gregor
05-03-2009, 11:27 PM
I have a the dreaded 9" (WAR) third member under my car. I was duped pretty hard on this purchase. Mostly because I didn't do my homework, and I trusted the seller. Both stupid mistakes on my part. But while talking to few guys at the shop shot peening connecting rods came up. Understanding that peening rods makes them less prone to cracking, would the same effect work on the third member?

Now I have spend more than my far share on this car. (Atleast by my wife's standards). And wasn't looking to replace a third member. Would having the third member shot peened be a waste of time and money? Till I can get the coin for a "N" case.

This is going behind a mildly stock 302 rebuild, with a C4, and ET streets. The car is EST at weighing about 2800 with driver. The axles would be Strange / Moser and the diff is a 4 pinion trac lok with 4.11:1 gears. 50/50 street strip.

thanks for any input on this.

juicedimpss
05-04-2009, 01:06 AM
if the car is light,you MIGHT get lucky for a while.

Irish
05-04-2009, 06:35 AM
What is the back story behind these cases?

DRK
05-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't launch the car at the dragstrip with it but it should be fine on the street

DR.FORD
05-04-2009, 08:48 AM
WAR cases are absolutely the weakest 9" carrier. Shot peaning will do nothing to cure that so don't bother. It will break at the front pinion support when it does, taking out everything. Like Ron said, because it is relatively light, it may stay together for a while. If you make power, you are on borrowed time. When it comes time to change it out, let me know. I have nodular Ford cases and am a Moser dealer.

DR.FORD
05-04-2009, 08:50 AM
What is the back story behind these cases?

They came in old Galaxies and full size Fords & Mercurys. The double ribbing has fooled more than one person!

Gregor
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Ok well seeing that I am using this car at the strip, drag racing yes, fast no. I am 50% screwed. So there goes any chance of me drag racing this year. WTF.

Dr. Ford send me a Pm on a axle and third member prices.

Gregor
05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Or I might as well sell the tracloc and pick up a 8.8.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Horrible news.