PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the coolant overflow tank?

xFullThrottlex
04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if theres any good way of doing this. I have a plastic GM coolant overflow tank and its 31 years old. It's yellow, and scummy looking... I know it's near impossible to get it looking like new again but I would like it to look better then it does. Ive sprayed it with degreaser and that got the grease off of it, but like I said it's weathered. I have not tried plastix on it and I doubt that would do much, would I be better off just taking it off the inner fender and spraying it white with plastic paint?

I don't really want to buy a new plastic one as it's about $40.
A billet one would be cool but once again it's more then I'd like to spend.
The generic Napa one is like $10 but I don't really want a generic Napa overflow.

I know on the rat rods/trad rods that they just use a Jack Daniels bottle, anyone ever do this? Would I just need a hose leading to the bottle and a bracket to hold it in place? Would this just make me look like an :alcoholic?

Sorry for the novel and thanks for any help/comments/suggestions!:banana

deuceWI
04-30-2009, 10:56 AM
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Something I saw once about restoring old yellowing electronics, like PCs or an old Nintendo or something. Not sure if it would work for you, but it could be worth a try since alot of the materials needed can be found around the house.

Plum Crazy
04-30-2009, 11:04 AM
i used CLR on mine from a 2001 grand prix and it did the job, the dexcool had gone bad and turned the overflow brown and sticky, used the whole bottle and left it in overnight, looked brand new when i was done.

xFullThrottlex
04-30-2009, 11:08 AM
deuce thanks for the link, it's very intriguing

TeamRev did you put it on the outside of the overflow or just the inside?
I see some black overspray on the overflow as well and was thinking maybe Acetone or Mineral spirits on the outside. THANKS!

77thor
04-30-2009, 11:25 AM
I would try a bleach solution...

xFullThrottlex
04-30-2009, 02:04 PM
I would try a bleach solution...

Yessir i just used clr and the stuff you use on bathtubs and it turned out pretty decent, doesnt look like new but doesnt look like crap either:headbang

I'll get pics later

lordairgtar
04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Just take some kitchen cleanser and clean it with that and then use a vinyl treatment like Armorall.

xFullThrottlex
04-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Just take some kitchen cleanser and clean it with that and then use a vinyl treatment like Armorall.

Haha, thats exactly what my dad told me after I finished:thumbsup

Russ Jerome
04-30-2009, 11:58 PM
CLR inside, light coat of penetrating oil on the outside to
get the yellow tinge away. If your soaking for a while Fels
Naptha non foaming dish detergent will rinse out quickly.