PDA

View Full Version : Buying Camera this weekend got tips??

MoCkiN U
04-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I have a gift card to best buy from my work for $550 and Im going to put all that into a camera. I am not into the craziness of the picture taking like some are but I do want to mess with HDR, car neon @ night, and such images. I also want that the wife can pick up and turn on and snap a picture without changing a ton of settings.

What do I take pictures of? Car shows, My daughter running around, distance shots with zoom needed (zmax in august), night shots of cars, typical family quick shots with a tripod, pics of my car.

I also want the camera to have enough features that if later I get more into it the camera will have it ready to go. I have 2 chosen and wanted to hear feedback from you guys.

Nikon D60 10MP SLR $599
Cannon Powershot 10MP $399

twirkin50
04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I picked up a Canon XSI about 6 months ago and was under the same thought, didn't want a super fancy camera and didn't want to change a ton of settings. After taking the time to learn the camera functions it is now really easy to use manual mode and alter the settings to lighting, speed, focus. Couldn't be happier with my XSI and will eventually upgrade to a 40 or 50D. I didn't think I would get into it at first, but now take my camera with me just about everywhere I go. The XSI and XTI are very resonable beginner DSLR's.

twirkin50
04-30-2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8929699&type=product&id=1214611419717

MoCkiN U
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
ok. shit.....now confused LOL

thanks for helping. Keep tips/ideas coming

DirtyMax
04-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Fow what you are aiming to do, I'd definitely buy a DSLR. It's going to give you ultimate flexibility down the road and still has a "full auto" mode for when your wife wants to play.

I'm not going to get into brand wars but I'd say go play with the Nikons and Canons at Best Buy and see which one you like best.

twirkin50
04-30-2009, 02:30 PM
It's going to give you ultimate flexibility down the road and still has a "full auto" mode for when your wife wants to play.

Good point, forgot about the auto mode. :D

MoCkiN U
04-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Got my print outs and going to go play later today. Thanks guys

94greenbandit
04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
I bought a canon XSI in November and love it. but like they said play with both brands and see which one you like

shoooo32
04-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I should have listened to the guys on this board when they said get a Canon. I didn't listen, bought a Nikon, and now wish I had a Canon. Get a XSI and don't look back.

wrath
04-30-2009, 04:58 PM
If you really want a DSLR, the T1i looks enticing. The Nikon D60 is a bit of an antique as compared to the similarly priced Canon XSi/450D.

Having learned just barely enough about photography/cameras to pretend to know something, it seems like the entry-level DSLRs are too much fawkin' around. You have top-of-the-line point-and-shoot camera capability in a giant package that costs more.

udlose98
04-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I have no complaints going with Nikon. I can name pros and cons of each, but none the less very satisfied.

MoCkiN U
04-30-2009, 08:52 PM
after going to play with them all and honestly I am kinda lost. I dont really dig the whole zoom with turning the lens. I know its a higher end camera and thats where its at. I think I just need a point and shoot. I dont see myself devoting the time/energy to learn what all the setting mean as I didnt really learn what my last one even had. I do want some cool features so maybe just staying with the powershot is my best bet?

-The nikon has the image edit features built into it which was nice
-Canon felt nice in hand and was weighted well and the screen was really vibrant and easy to read
-both have room to grow "if" i do get more into them.

The single thing that really has me right now is these are rated with battery life and image rating for 800+ images and the powershot is stated to only last for approx 60 images on the 4 AA batteries. crap, gotta research

udlose98
04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
even though you can rotate the lens by hand, the nikon and cannon will both have (AF) or Auto Focus features. There is a small toggle to turn AF ON and OFF, its possible it was off when you looked at them, but i gauruntee they both had it.

DirtyMax
04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
The zoom ring is a little odd at first but over time, most people grow to love it. It gives you a lot more precise control over a slider or dial on the P&S units.

You can certainly get quick apertures with a P&S but the ISO is going to usually be sacrificed. Since you already plan on doing night time shooting and would like to dabble in HDR, I think you may outgrow even a high end P&S rather quickly.

DSLR can be very overwhelming at first. It starts to come to you rather quickly and learning is half the fun.

I can take my gear to work (Oak Creek) someday if you want to run up and goof around with it in a non-store setting.

MoCkiN U
04-30-2009, 10:41 PM
The zoom ring is a little odd at first but over time, most people grow to love it. It gives you a lot more precise control over a slider or dial on the P&S units.

You can certainly get quick apertures with a P&S but the ISO is going to usually be sacrificed. Since you already plan on doing night time shooting and would like to dabble in HDR, I think you may outgrow even a high end P&S rather quickly.

DSLR can be very overwhelming at first. It starts to come to you rather quickly and learning is half the fun.

I can take my gear to work (Oak Creek) someday if you want to run up and goof around with it in a non-store setting.

thx dude!! i'll go play again tomorrow and try to make a decision

MoCkiN U
05-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Well today went back to best buy for one more round after some research and reviews online. It was so close between the canon and the nikon that eventually in the end the canon device software had the in camera image editing the nikon has but on my pc so I was ok with that and the feel of the canon was really nice.

I came home with the canon rebel xs with bag, m card, tripod, extra battery and called it a night. I spent the last little bit putting the bag all together to hold the stuff and protect the camera, charging the battery and loading all the device software on the puter at home.

Z28Envy
05-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Well today went back to best buy for one more round after some research and reviews online. It was so close between the canon and the nikon that eventually in the end the canon device software had the in camera image editing the nikon has but on my pc so I was ok with that and the feel of the canon was really nice.

I came home with the canon rebel xs with bag, m card, tripod, extra battery and called it a night. I spent the last little bit putting the bag all together to hold the stuff and protect the camera, charging the battery and loading all the device software on the puter at home.

Nice buy! Check out www.photography-on-the.net They have a shit ton of info on there that you will be able to read to help you learn. I go on there a lot and read and it truely is a great site!!

MoCkiN U
05-02-2009, 11:29 PM
awesome!! THX

Nick
05-02-2009, 11:51 PM
My only gripe with POTN is they are a little light on the criticism. I like honesty in order to improve myself.
good site though. great resource

domokun
05-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Im selling a XSi if your interested.

moels
05-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Im selling a XSi if your interested.

Pm sent.

I am also looking at buying a decent but not too expensive dslr camera. From what I've read, the XSI looks like the perfect fit for me. I wanted to run out and just pick one up, but I've found such a difference in prices on the internet. I'm a little skeptical about ordering from a website I've never dealt with but I wouldn't mind saving a few hundred bucks if possible. Another idea is to find one slightly used. I just can't justify spending a ton of money on a camera, that I'm sure I will have to replace when the boys get to high school sports and the pictures become more important.

Any ideas are appreciated and I'm not trying to hijack or anything.