PDA

View Full Version : oil change rant

lilws6
04-28-2009, 09:54 PM
so i finally decide to getting around to doing my oil change on the bike this after noon after work. So i stopped and picked up some mobile one bike oil at almost $10 a quart thats not the bad part i'm fine with that its cheaper than suzuki full syn. so i get home put it up on the stands pull the filter replace it nothing special. I start taking out the plug and "now mind you as long as i've owned it the plug always came out kind of hard so i was expecting this eventually." pieces of aluminum threads started coming out. i figured ok i'll just snug it up and it'll be fine when its done draining. Well that went out the window right as i was snugging it up of course it had to strip out.:flipoff2: so i immediatly jumped in my car and ran all the way back to work before they close i know we have a rethreading kit and over size plugs so i was hoping they were big enough. shure nuff they were perfect so i run all the way back home not being 8 got off work around 5. finally got the bike high enough to drill out the pan and re tap it. clean as much of the shavings out i can and install the new plug. threads in like a charm seems straight snugs up. ratchet time tighten her up and she holds whoo!!! fill her up with $40 worth of oil and she good right? of course not. now i'm not shure if the gasket on the new plug has to sorta bake to the pan or not but it still leaks. not a considerable amount but of course it bothers me and i'm going to have to take care of it as soon as i can and buy MORE oil. searched real quick on a source ive known to have reasonable prices on parts and i'll have to be ordering a new $98 pan that i knew was probably going to have to be replaced. good thing is after all this i'll know my bike from front to back and how to tear it apart and fix it. not a good start to the year i hope the trans am oil change goes better then this knock on wood :alcoholic

xFullThrottlex
04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
yikes dude,

i feel your pain, I bought a set of plugs for my bike on saturday over at Action Powersports.. not to bad at $3 per plug (and I need two.) Went to put them in and noticed that they sold me the wrong plugs, and of course they were now closed. I went in today looking to exchange them and get the right plugs and the new plugs are $10 per plug. So I spent and extra $14 and fought them every bit of the way. (Working on Japanese bikes with big hands FTL)

lilws6
04-30-2009, 11:46 AM
never really had a problem with mine the plugs are pretty easy but i've had them out probably 80 times already this year

Silver350
04-30-2009, 12:56 PM
I did a the oil changes on my buell and talk about a bitch the pan bolt was easy to get to but filling it was a bitch seeing the opening was on the swing arm in front of the rear tire I had to purchase a beer bong type apperatuse just to put the oil back in the bike. also taking the lower front valance to get to the filter was a pain.

lilws6
04-30-2009, 11:27 PM
yea unfortunatly i have to pull one of the side fairings off to get to my filter plugs easy on the bottom i do oil changes almost everyday and i can't believe this one gave out on me musta just been its time to go

VroomPshhTsi
05-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Just did my first oil change on a bike. I love not having a lower fairing, but the oil filter was a pain in the f'n ass. It was on way too tight, used a oil filter wrench and almost broke the filter but finally loosened it enuf to do the rest by hand. Seriously I hate when people tighten the oil filter too much!! Besides the oil filter crap, it was easy as pie :banana