PDA

View Full Version : Rust converter WTF

Voodoo Chick
04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I bought a bottle of rust converter to use on the rear inner wheel wells of my RS. I did EXACTLY as the directions indicated. I sanded off the rust/paint first, cleaned/dried the area, and applied as per instructions. On one side, it turned out fine....on the other side, it seems to look weird......it looks like grey filler-primer, and it's not supposed to....it is not wet or "gooey," but it looks odd nonetheless. It did convert the rust, but it looks very strange.....What happened?? Can I sand it once it is totally cured? It seems weirdly chalky in that area.... :confused

07ROUSHSTG3
04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
what the hell is rust converter??

Voodoo Chick
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM

It's the coolest thing ever (when it works.) It's a chemical which, when applied to rust, converts it into an inert state, so it no longer spreads, and it turns black and becomes stable. You may then sand it, paint it, fill it, etc, without the worry that the rust will develop underneath.

pOrk
04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Por 15?

Voodoo Chick
04-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Por 15?

No, it's a chemical solution to be used before POR 15......tannin-based.

pOrk
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Whats the product name?

GRAMPS SS
04-28-2009, 04:21 PM

ERIC..it turned her Camaro into a Mustang...:thumbsup...one hell of a rust converter.....:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Voodoo Chick
04-28-2009, 04:27 PM
ERIC..it turned her Camaro into a Mustang...:thumbsup...one hell of a rust converter.....:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

No.....seeing as I only did the rear......she's a 50/50 now.....a "Mustaro."

GRAMPS SS
04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
so it's BI :goof

WickedSix
04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
rust converter i've always used only came in grey...if yours was black to begin with I wonder if it wasn't something as simple as angle of can during application.

stuff works great on old trailers anyway :thumbsup

Voodoo Chick
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Well......I figured out one thing for certain.....I am retarded. I went out to check on the car, and the reason the stuff looked weird, is because I had sanded all the rust off. It was just surface rust, and I (in all my enthusiasm) sanded it all down to clean bare metal. So......there was no rust there to "convert, " hence, no chemical reaction took place. I just realized this, by the way. I REALLY think I need to lay off the chemical fumes for a while.....that tiny little lonely braincell isn't doing so good.....:durr

Voodoo Chick
04-28-2009, 04:38 PM
so it's BI :goof

Yes.....yes she is.

TheRX7Project
04-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Do you mean like Rust-mort ot whatever it's called?

lordairgtar
04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes.....yes she is.
She only hangs out with other Camaros then?

shawn
04-28-2009, 08:07 PM
rust converter is a gift from god when used right. im helpin a buddy restore a old fleetwood and we just got done applying some rust converter to the lower quarters. stuff worked great. anyone that hasnt used it, its available at ur local parts store.

GRAMPS SS
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
so i can use this on anything that is rusted and it will STOP rust from spreading any more..

jbiscuit
04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
at least you fixed the initial problem. The rust. Good work! :)

Rocket Power
04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Well......I figured out one thing for certain.....I am retarded. I went out to check on the car, and the reason the stuff looked weird, is because I had sanded all the rust off.
Way to go:rolf So instead of saving you effort ,you expended the effort plus used converter you didn't need to:goof

shawn
04-28-2009, 11:09 PM
so i can use this on anything that is rusted and it will STOP rust from spreading any more..

as far as i believe as long as u apply it the right way and put at least some kind of primer/paint over the area applied to. i've never had any problems with it coming back through

PonyKiller87
04-28-2009, 11:19 PM
rust converter i've always used only came in grey...if yours was black to begin with I wonder if it wasn't something as simple as angle of can during application.

stuff works great on old trailers anyway :thumbsup

Now if only you could find some mush converter to change the deck back to wood on that trailer, lol.

88Nightmare
04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
isnt POR15 a rust inhibiting primer? I thought POR15 etches the metal and prevents rust

Voodoo Chick
04-29-2009, 12:42 AM
isnt POR15 a rust inhibiting primer? I thought POR15 etches the metal and prevents rust

It will inhibit rust IF used under ideal circumstances, and the surface is 100 % contaminant-free.....if there is any doubt, though, it is best to use the converter, and then the POR15. You will get wonderful results that way. I have been checking here and there on the car as the converter has been curing, and the result has just been getting better and better. The parts that had surface rust are all black and solid now, and will be ready for the finishing process very soon. I wanted to stop that rust, because I absolutely hate it when people will just slap Bondo and paint over it, and then it just comes back, and bubbles through the badly done bodywork anyway. As for the area that I sanded too much, I suppose that works out OK, too, because those areas are clean bare metal. I think this should turn out pretty nice, maybe not perfect, but definately better than before.

DRK
04-29-2009, 05:52 AM
rust converters only slow the process down. the only way to get rid of rust is to cut/grind it out

88Nightmare
04-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Im fixing rust on my 87 s10 blazer. I took an angle grinder and gently ground down on surface rust, but on one spot, theres still some rust color etched into the metal. Doesn't matter how much I keep grinding, theres still a peppered etched rust spot. Is it safe to just POR15 right over that?

kornholio788
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
rust converters only slow the process down. the only way to get rid of rust is to cut/grind it out

He is correct. I sell it and sell a decent amount of it. There is nothing on this whole planet made that will 100% kill and stop rust. Only slow it down.

kornholio788
04-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Im fixing rust on my 87 s10 blazer. I took an angle grinder and gently ground down on surface rust, but on one spot, theres still some rust color etched into the metal. Doesn't matter how much I keep grinding, theres still a peppered etched rust spot. Is it safe to just POR15 right over that?

POR15 is made to go over rust. In fact I have been told it actually sticks to rusty metal a little better than brand new metal. Don't get me wrong it will stick to both great though. POR is good stuff. Gets rock hard. For an even better result use the cleaner/etcher that you can buy to put on before the actual por15.

If you are close to waukesha I work for auto paint and supply. Our main store is in waukesha just off of main street. Hard to miss. Big building. We carry alot of por product.