PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Hobbyist plates?

TheRX7Project
04-28-2009, 09:27 AM
What all does it take to get them? Do they require a vehicle inspection?

After I got my "modified exhaust" ticket, it got my gears going. I'm thinking that Hobbyist playes may be just what I need for my 7.

Karps TA
04-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I have hobbyist plates. Required me filling out the form and mailing it in.

I was registering my car out at a friends in East Troy before that. When I filled out the Hobbyist plates I still used that address just in case I needed to run it through emissions one last time, but oddly enough the plates and registration was mailed back to me at my house in Muskego.

Voodoo Chick
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Go to the DMV, ask them for the paperwork, fill it out, send them $200, and in a few weeks, your plates arrive in the mail.

FANAT1C
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
^ Or you can print the form from WI DOT website. Here's a link: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/hobbyist.htm

That page has all the info you should need.

Karps TA
04-28-2009, 11:35 AM
wow its $200 now. Still a great deal though. I think it was only $125 when I did it.

Todd Z
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
I have them on my Vega. Most cops have no idea what the hobbiest plate allows. I got pulled over several years ago by one of West allis' best and was issued if I remember right eight tickets. They were all droped because most fell under the hobbiest rules and the few that did not because my lawyer is good and called for harrasement. I was pulled over for almost two hours.

LIZMO
04-28-2009, 11:45 AM
what are all the advantages of having the plates?

Holeshot
04-28-2009, 11:54 AM
what are all the advantages of having the plates?

# vehicle must be at least 20 years old.
# Vehicle may be modified from the original manufacturer's specifications.
# Vehicle can still be recognized as the original year and make.
# Vehicles are typically known as "hot rods" or "street rods."

loud91rs
04-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Sweet looks like i'm getting those for both of my camaros

Karps TA
04-28-2009, 01:06 PM
# vehicle must be at least 20 years old.
# Vehicle may be modified from the original manufacturer's specifications.
# Vehicle can still be recognized as the original year and make.
# Vehicles are typically known as "hot rods" or "street rods."

Technically those aren't advantages. :goof

Advantage is only having to pay for plates once, and never having to deal with emissions. I beleive the plates are yours for life. May be a small fee to transfer.

Plum Crazy
04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
not to change the subject, but i was looking at the other special plates, Medal of Honor winners dont pay for their plates and they never expire. Thumbs up to WI for doing something honorable for once.

JC70SS
04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I guess I should have them:)

Deggy
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
not to change the subject, but i was looking at the other special plates, Medal of Honor winners dont pay for their plates and they never expire. Thumbs up to WI for doing something honorable for once.

What does this have to do with his questions about wondering how to go about getting hobbyist plates on his RX7? I know you said "Not to change the subject" but what was the point of telling us that?

But anyways, thanks for the info.

gottwins?
04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
I was pulled over for exhaust last night but the cop was cool and let me go. I really want hobbyist plates but my vanity plates are too good to let go.:alcoholic

pw_cc_runner
04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
FYI, they are a really ugly green and yellow

LIL EVO
04-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Isn't there also a restriction on not being able to drive with hobbyist plates during the winter months? I thought I read that somewhere.

LIZMO
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
I was pulled over for exhaust last night but the cop was cool and let me go. I really want hobbyist plates but my vanity plates are too good to let go.:alcoholic

so if you had hobbist plates you wouldnt get a ticket?(well ik he let you go) but what i mean to say is if you have hobbist plates, they cant give you a exhaust ticket?

gottwins?
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
so if you had hobbist plates you wouldnt get a ticket?(well ik he let you go) but what i mean to say is if you have hobbist plates, they cant give you a exhaust ticket?

I think they can give you a ticket for whatever they wan't, but I know for sure it would be dropped in court. If you have hobbyist plates it allows you to modify your car in ways that would be illegal if you didn't have them.

Silver86
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
hmm... i may have to look into getting those for my 7.

84hurst
04-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Isn't there also a restriction on not being able to drive with hobbyist plates during the winter months? I thought I read that somewhere.

Yup, the only month though is January and you must have another vehicle titled in your name (kinda proof that you won't drive it in winter).

Another advantage too is that you never have to pay a yearly registration. One flat $200 and that's it.

pw_cc_runner
04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Yup, the only month though is January and you must have another vehicle titled in your name (kinda proof that you won't drive it in winter).

Another advantage too is that you never have to pay a yearly registration. One flat $200 and that's it.

They do let you buy a temp plate if you absolutely had to drive it in January.

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-28-2009, 03:51 PM
That's weird you can do illegal stuff with just a dumb plate.
I don't need no plate.........:)

wrath
04-28-2009, 05:39 PM
How do you get insurance on one of these vehicles? My mud truck is titled as a 1987 R10 but barely resembles one. Would a state patrol officer even sign off on the inspection of such a vehicle (I'd put much smaller tires on it)?

Rocket Power
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
How do you get insurance on one of these vehicles? My mud truck is titled as a 1987 R10 but barely resembles one. Would a state patrol officer even sign off on the inspection of such a vehicle (I'd put much smaller tires on it)?

Insure it like any other car. If you already have a title why would you need the state patrol to inspect anything?

wrath
04-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Insure it like any other car. If you already have a title why would you need the state patrol to inspect anything?

State patrol would have to inspect it to get the hobbyist plates. That way I can get away with giant tires and other random not-Wisconsin law friendly items.

TheRX7Project
04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
^^ That was my concern. I don't have a cat, nor a few other minor things (cracked windshield, iffy turn signals, etc.) and I don't really want to have to get an inspection.

One thing to note, if you have hobbyist plates and you get any plates suspended due to parking tickets then you have to re-register the hobbyist plates.

I really think this is the golden ticket to not getting hassled by the cops for my exhaust.

Rocket Power
04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Technically those aren't advantages. :goof

Advantage is only having to pay for plates once, and never having to deal with emissions. I beleive the plates are yours for life. May be a small fee to transfer.

A 20 year old car doesn't go through emissions anymore anyway.
I think the biggest advantage is that if you plan on keeping the car for a while it'll cost less than renewing regular plates.

I sound like some people are getting the wrong idea, it's not like you can drive with open headers it's for modified vehicles. Whereas collector plates are supposed to be for stock old vehicles

#
# Street modified vehicles, replicas, homemade motorized vehicles or vehicles that have been altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications do NOT qualify. These vehicles may be eligible for Hobbyist license plates, form MV2388 PDF.

TheRX7Project
04-28-2009, 05:58 PM
So what CAN you get away with, with said Hobbyist plates then?

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I really think this is the golden ticket to not getting hassled by the cops for my exhaust.

Common sense and a little restraint will be more effective. I also have trouble not messing around in my loud as heck no cat car but I haven't been pulled over in it after 4 years of having it. :thumbsup
I think in Milwaukee loud exhaust is not to big a deal unless you have black windows, 20's and are a known street pharmacist, then your loud muffler becomes a reason to get pulled !
I mean do you hear of Hog's being busted for mega loud exhaust ?

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Yea I got the same type bad BS info from ALOT of misinformed people, they all told me "hobbyist plates means you can run open headers on a t bucket and its all legal (seen those cars at shows ? I have) or you can run 48 inch tires on some old mud truck with no pick up box, fenders, mudflaps and you are immune from tickets"

The "do what you want" claims always sounded pie in the sky to me.

TheRX7Project
04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Common sense and a little restraint will be more effective. I also have trouble not messing around in my loud as heck no cat car but I haven't been pulled over in it after 4 years of having it. :thumbsup
I think in Milwaukee loud exhaust is not to big a deal unless you have black windows, 20's and are a known street pharmacist, then your loud muffler becomes a reason to get pulled !
I mean do you hear of Hog's being busted for mega loud exhaust ?

WAPD seems to have an issue with it on Saturday Nights at HWY... I'm pretty sure having a "modified exhaust" is OK by Hobbyist plates.

I've never been hassled for it before either. Not even last year when I had only 1 muffler (and it was a cannon), or even the 2 days I drove it with NO mufflers. Uncorked rotary = ungodly loud. Not even all the times I drove it on the freeway, which it resonates real bad, with cops RIGHT BEHIND me.

It's not that I pride myself with having a loud exhaust. It's that it just won't calm down. I threw an extra muffler on it this year, and it's still somewhat loud. That's just how it's going to be.

84hurst
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
When you get those plates it means pretty much any vehicle that is modded from stock. Rules are more lienient such as exhaust, motor... etc. I considered getting them for my Olds (with a far from stock motor) but I went with the collector plates instead because I thought the green and yellow was ugly. If I get time tommorrow I'll try and find a dmv link for you. Btw. I never needed an inspection either and I live in Milwaukee....

Voodoo Chick
04-29-2009, 12:58 AM
WAPD seems to have an issue with it on Saturday Nights at HWY... I'm pretty sure having a "modified exhaust" is OK by Hobbyist plates.

I've never been hassled for it before either. Not even last year when I had only 1 muffler (and it was a cannon), or even the 2 days I drove it with NO mufflers. Uncorked rotary = ungodly loud. Not even all the times I drove it on the freeway, which it resonates real bad, with cops RIGHT BEHIND me.

It's not that I pride myself with having a loud exhaust. It's that it just won't calm down. I threw an extra muffler on it this year, and it's still somewhat loud. That's just how it's going to be.

If it's any consolation my Olds sets off all the neighbors' car alarms.....:stare

TheRX7Project
04-29-2009, 06:35 AM
When you get those plates it means pretty much any vehicle that is modded from stock. Rules are more lienient such as exhaust, motor... etc. I considered getting them for my Olds (with a far from stock motor) but I went with the collector plates instead because I thought the green and yellow was ugly. If I get time tommorrow I'll try and find a dmv link for you. Btw. I never needed an inspection either and I live in Milwaukee....

I've seen the basic DMV link that says "vehicles modified from stock" but it doesn't give any specifics about what is OK and what is not.

lordairgtar
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I've seen the basic DMV link that says "vehicles modified from stock" but it doesn't give any specifics about what is OK and what is not.
Probably anything SEMA, DOT or CARB approved.