PDA

View Full Version : Car audio/video guys...inside

Want_Notch
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
So the wife and I bought a new to us 08 Expedition. (Thanks Nick) I want to put a DVD/Tuner/GPS unit in. The factory unit is a double din unit so I would like to use a fixed secreen unit. Anyone have a suggestion on brand/model, what to look for what to stay away from?

MoCkiN U
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
couple of things I found when I was searching around but this has been a bit.

Pioneer: At the time when I was shopping the pioneer had great power ratings but the one thing that drove me crazy was you had to purchase an external dvd player to play movies on it.

Alpine: Had great features to it and with their player you got access to their online programming feature where once you setup the device you loaded that onto a disc and it reprogrammed the unit if you lost power on the vehicle plus with the online software youcould get really deep into programming the sound features of the unit. Probably the best touch screen of all of them. Alpine sceens have a "click" responce in them that gives you tactile feedback when pushing a button.

Kenwood: This unit had good screen quality and all the power options I wanted but allowed me to change the wallpaper of the unit to any image I wanted and also had a external usb hook up to plug a jump drive into it. All 3 units had ipod hook ups in it but only the kenwood had the hookup capability to my zune (even tho I cant control it thru the deck) so I went with this unit and really like it. I have the 7019 version of their unit.

That was a year ago and stuff changes sooooo much. The major tip I would give today is to see which ones use the gyro system in them that keeps you from bypassing their security system by grounding a wire to play videos while moving. The last I knew they didnt have a fix or work around on that gyro system to allow you to play movies while in motion.

Waver
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Pioneer and alpine both make in dash units that work very well with very clear screens.....You saw mine mike, and like I said, the navi part adds about 300 to what I paid for mine....and then you can get ones with bigger screens......what ever one you choose I can help you install them.
Oh and for all those who are curious: I have the Pioneer dv4000. Cd/dvd/mp3/ that is also sat compadible