PDA

View Full Version : Was I that wrong???

MoCkiN U
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
We had a customer visit my store last night that was slurring his speech really badly and sounded super drunk. It was so slurred he could have had a stroke so I was leaving it alone. I saw he had kids with them both looked younger than 15 years of age so I just sat back and observed. He got loud a few times but didnt cause a major scene. He was putting his arms around the reps and such and also customers he didnt know so once I got complaints of him smelling like alcohol from the reps I made a decision to call the non emergency police #. I told them I had a customer who appeared to be drunk at my store and had to kids with him and I was worried he might be driving and that he wasnt causing a scene but was worth checking into.

Gurnee PD came out and talked with the guy and turns out the son was driving on a new license. The son had his girlfriend with him and he was super embarrassed and kept trying to calm his dad down. Well police leave and of course he turns his anger on us making rude comments and threatening us so we had to call police back and he got arrested in my store.

Well I call my boss and tell him what happened (im asst manager) and he starts in on me about how wrong I was and I shouldnt have done that cause I could get in tons of trouble with corporate.

**My dilema is this**

I told him i am ok with getting in trouble since I now know those kids are safe and so is the community around me because he didnt drive home. His responce was "Its not your problem to fix, you cant make that call. If something were to happen then it simply happens"

Was I that far off of is this just another sign of uptight corporate america?

UnderPSI
04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Sounds like you did the right thing. Better to be safe than sorry.

michelle
04-26-2009, 10:22 AM
You did the right thing. Better to be safe then sorry. It's sad your boss doesn't appreciate your efforts in that respect though.

nismodave
04-26-2009, 10:25 AM
You did the right thing. That is total BS.

noeggs4u
04-26-2009, 10:26 AM
You did the right thing,your boss is a corporate tight ass.Do not second guess what you did.

MoCkiN U
04-26-2009, 10:28 AM
OK. I am alright with getting written up or whatever if my conscience is clear

awsomeears
04-26-2009, 10:32 AM
You did the right thing, your Boss is a Douche bag and probably would be the type that wouldn't help a old lady jump her car in the middle of winter because its not his problem !!!

GTSLOW
04-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Your boss is a fucking moron if he doesn't defend you or what not. 100% the right thing to do.

PureSound15
04-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I think your boss might be a bit more understanding if he were there. I think you did the right thing.

noeggs4u
04-26-2009, 10:34 AM
if something would have happened you would have kicked your self. Also remind your boss if something would have happened and they traced this guys steps back to the store they would maybe ask why you did not do anything. Nice mustang got 04 gt 40th anniversy.

domokun
04-26-2009, 10:36 AM
F your boss, you did the right thing.

Car Guy
04-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the 'new' America, where you get punished for trying to help......:punch:

97z2801ss
04-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the 'new' America, where you get punished for trying to help......:punch:

yea its true, kinda messed up. Its almost not worth helping someone because they will prob sue you. :chair:

wrath
04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Doing the right thing doesn't always coincide with the right thing for people's self-interested dollars or corporate america.

If people did the right thing our economy wouldn't be where it's at.

You might have saved somebody's life or property damage. It sure would suck for Corporate to be in the headlines to say "Belligerent .22 BAC man drives off from Kwik-E-Mart and into Special Olympics van".

-stew-
04-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Your boss is a corporate bitch. :thumbsup to you for doing the right thing. Maybe you should contact corporate and let them know your boss is threatening disciplinary actions because you took some pro-active measures to protect your customers, your employees, and your store.

srt4eh
04-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Your boss is a corporate bitch. :thumbsup to you for doing the right thing. Maybe you should contact corporate and let them know your boss is threatening disciplinary actions because you took some pro-active measures to protect your customers, your employees, and your store.

x2 :thumbsup

scaleracer
04-26-2009, 11:25 AM
You did the right thing! Who knows what bad you prevented from happening..

lordairgtar
04-26-2009, 11:29 AM
You did the right thing. If that guy was driving himself and he had an accident that hurt or killed people, you'd feel worse. Now if he hit your boss...........

johnny--2k
04-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I see nothing wrong with what you did. Honestly, your boss seems like a complete douche and if you could find another job, I would leave that place. I would hate working for someone who has no sense of right/wrong and no conscious.

Deggy
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM
So lemme get this straight...

You're boss was upset that you called the police because a man was basically harassing his staff and your customers. I think you did the right thing, but where do you work? I will remember not to ever go there. No offense to you at all, but I would never wanna deal with your boss. He clearly doesn't give a shit about customers. I sure as hell wouldn't want a drunk man harassing my customers/employees, and/or endangering the kids he was with.

You did the right thing. :thumbsup

Silver350
04-26-2009, 11:40 AM
You did the right thing. When I worked at speedway we were supose to call the cops when ever we saw someone that was intoxicated. I never had a customer that showed ovious signs of beeing drunk so I never had to do it but I would of in a heart beat if I would of saw what you did.

Voodoo Chick
04-26-2009, 12:04 PM
You did the right thing, 100 %. Don't listen to that BS your boss is telling you, you were perfectly justified.

MoCkiN U
04-26-2009, 12:46 PM
So lemme get this straight...

You're boss was upset that you called the police because a man was basically harassing his staff and your customers. I think you did the right thing, but where do you work? I will remember not to ever go there. No offense to you at all, but I would never wanna deal with your boss. He clearly doesn't give a shit about customers. I sure as hell wouldn't want a drunk man harassing my customers/employees, and/or endangering the kids he was with.

You did the right thing. :thumbsup

I want to keep the company I work for under wraps on this thread. Those who know.....know so lets keep my work name out of this thread but I work for a great company with awesome advancement opportunities, education benefits, and so on. It wasnt the company with this view just my direct manager. We all know how different those views can/could be. Remember, I didnt call cause he was harrassing my customers I called on the concern about the kids he had with him. It didnt become a issue with other customers "till" I called the cops.

My company I work for is great. I just wanted opinions on this particular scenario with my manager. Thanks all for the feedback!!

Sprayaway Fox
04-26-2009, 12:55 PM
You work at a autozone? Thats the same attitude they always have there.

mr.gone1985
04-26-2009, 12:58 PM
You did the right thing. I would think your boss could get in more trouble when the whole story is told. As long as you can sleep at night knowing you did the right thing that is all that matters.

Deggy
04-26-2009, 01:05 PM
I want to keep the company I work for under wraps on this thread. Those who know.....know so lets keep my work name out of this thread but I work for a great company with awesome advancement opportunities, education benefits, and so on. It wasnt the company with this view just my direct manager. We all know how different those views can/could be. Remember, I didnt call cause he was harrassing my customers I called on the concern about the kids he had with him. It didnt become a issue with other customers "till" I called the cops.

My company I work for is great. I just wanted opinions on this particular scenario with my manager. Thanks all for the feedback!!

I think I recall you saying where you work before, but your secret is safe with me. :)

If I ever need your services, I would like to work directly with you. :thumbsup

indyzmike
04-26-2009, 03:49 PM
I hate it when the the right thing to do could trigger a lawsuit. I reminds me of the story where a security guard at a store stopped a girl for stealing a bottle of booze. He got fired because his duty was only to alert store employees, not make contact with the cutomers.

1320PNY
04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Dear Kelley,

You did the right thing and for the right reasons, but you have to navigate your argument / defense in order to appease your employer.

If a MAN comes in drunk to your store, that's one thing. If a MAN comes in drunk and is PHYSICALLY CONTACTING people whom DO NOT wish to be contacted, that's another thing.

I would go with the "Guy was in the store drunk and several customers raised a voice about feeling uncomfortable...thus I contacted the non-emergency police."

Drop the whole kids in car (you're too perceptive for corporate) deal.

If some guy touches people and they don't like it, then he's a subject for assault. Plus he was legally intoxicated and you left that to the authorities, so you did your job.

If you get reprimanded, let us know, I'll call and cancel my plan!

MoCkiN U
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
no need to go that far shaun.....thx tho buddy. thanks all for posting up opinions today

That_Guy
04-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing. Better to be safe than sorry.

you did the right thing even though he was a customer. your boss sounds like a doucher.

if it makes you feel any better im proud of you :rolf

88Nightmare
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
I definitely agree with what you did kelley. How were you supposed to know that the guy had his son driving? I think you helped avoid what could have been a very bad situation had the guy actually been driving.

fivonut
04-26-2009, 07:32 PM
We had a customer visit my store last night that was slurring his speech really badly and sounded super drunk. It was so slurred he could have had a stroke so I was leaving it alone. I saw he had kids with them both looked younger than 15 years of age so I just sat back and observed. He got loud a few times but didnt cause a major scene. He was putting his arms around the reps and such and also customers he didnt know so once I got complaints of him smelling like alcohol from the reps I made a decision to call the non emergency police #. I told them I had a customer who appeared to be drunk at my store and had to kids with him and I was worried he might be driving and that he wasnt causing a scene but was worth checking into.

Gurnee PD came out and talked with the guy and turns out the son was driving on a new license. The son had his girlfriend with him and he was super embarrassed and kept trying to calm his dad down. Well police leave and of course he turns his anger on us making rude comments and threatening us so we had to call police back and he got arrested in my store.

Well I call my boss and tell him what happened (im asst manager) and he starts in on me about how wrong I was and I shouldnt have done that cause I could get in tons of trouble with corporate.

**My dilema is this**

I told him i am ok with getting in trouble since I now know those kids are safe and so is the community around me because he didnt drive home. His responce was "Its not your problem to fix, you cant make that call. If something were to happen then it simply happens"

No good deed goes unpunished!!!

Take your slap on the wrist but hold your head high, you did good!!!

65chevelleSS
04-28-2009, 11:54 PM

**My dilema is this**

Yes, you did the right thing. Who knows what wouldve happened.

Smokey1226
04-29-2009, 12:15 AM
After reading what you wrote, i have been in that same situtation before and will probably see it multiple times this summer :(

Ask yourself how you would feel if you would of read the paper tomorrow morning and seen a picture of those 3 dead due to accident (if the Drunk Dad was driving).......

Don't even question yourself if you made the right or wrong decision. You did! That was his fault he got out of line. He will learn his lesson, and hopefully so will his Son and his GF. They will now keep in the back of their mind, what happened that day and hopefully think twice about drinking and acting like a fool.

Secondly im not the type of person to talk smack, but your Boss is a phuckstick for getting upset with you.

SSScottSS
04-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Your boss is looser. You did the right thing and in all honesty, if he tries to discipline you for what you did I would consider discussing it with a lawyer. If more people gave a rip about doing the right thing like you did, this world wouldn't be so screwed up.

I personally thank you for doing the right thing.

u_say_go
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
since you know/think you're getting written up, spend some time writing a statement on why you made the decision to call police. explain clearly that you were concerned for the safety of the customers and reps in the store, and you were affraid for your own safety.
Keep that statement with you for when you get written up, staple it to your write up.
good judgement call Kell! :thumbsup

deuceWI
04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
New America - where Good Samaritans get sued

It's sad when you have to second guess yourself when you are trying help.

I personally think you did the right thing, and I'm happy you're somewhere where the police actually responded rather than just ignoring the situation.

DirtyMax
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Every company in your industry is all the same... The farther up the ladder you get, the more corporate kool-aid you drink and it becomes the difference between right and "right". That guy is being a corporate douche and you should not second guess yourself whatsoever... did the right thing morally. If it comes to disciplinary action that leads up to termination or written actions that prohibit advancement, etc., I believe you would have legal recourse on your side. I hope it doesn't come to that but if it did....

94greenbandit
04-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Nothing your boss is one who has the corporate stick shoved far up his ass. Have you heard anything from corporate about this. Yo did fine don't sweat it

TraceDaddy
04-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Just a "flyer" of an idea. Do you have surveillance equipment there? If so you could pose this question to your Boss (delicately). IF this guy goes out and kills somebody, and the cops trace back his footsteps, and see his obvious state of intoxication in your store, would the bad press be even worse. We've probably all the seen the footage of the older man at the pharmacy who recently had a heart attack and ran over that doctor. In that case, there we not serious flags to indicate his poor health. In your case, there were.

If Channel 4 were to come to your store and ask why you did nothing, would you be comfortable with "It's corporate policy" as your response.

MoCkiN U
04-29-2009, 03:29 PM
since you know/think you're getting written up, spend some time writing a statement on why you made the decision to call police. explain clearly that you were concerned for the safety of the customers and reps in the store, and you were affraid for your own safety.
Keep that statement with you for when you get written up, staple it to your write up.
good judgement call Kell! :thumbsup

actually that is what I did. THere was a write up issued but I didnt sweat it. Its done and over now. He covered his butt and took the corporate stance BUt.....

My DM who called me asked me what happened. He then said " I understand why you did it and cant say I wouldnt have done the same but this is why we created the warning for future scenarios"

and off we went

pOrk
04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
You work for a bunch of fuck bags. Print this post and attach it to your write up :) Boss'es who don't back their employees are nothing more then cowards.

DirtyMax
04-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Does that write-up now prohibit you from being promoted for xx number of months? Alot of companies have those policies in place. That would certainly suck if a great opportunity arose and you couldn't advance. I hope that's not the case.

MoCkiN U
04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Aw naw. Its just a coaching and goes in my file. Stops me in no way shape or form.