PDA

View Full Version : 91 Sunbird Clutch Bleeding

LIL EVO
04-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Seriously... I've never had so much trouble bleeding a damn clutch before.

The slave has a hex cap bleeder hole. Apparently you're supposed to open the bleeder and let the master gravity feed.

Well I went through a whole jug of brake fluid and the pedal still goes to the floor. The slave pushes the rod maybe a half inch at the transmission.

I also stuck a mity-vac in the bleeder hole and pumped out a whole bunch of fluid. No go.

What is the trick??? Seriously!!

Sprayaway Fox
04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Try pushing the clutch in halfway and then gravity feeding it. Without it pressed the system holds because the valves arent open to feed it. Or Go up on pedal and push pedal down and crack bleeder till pedal goes all the way down then shut bleeder then go up with pedal and repeat till all fluid comes out.

LIL EVO
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Tried pumping, holding, and opening bleeder. No go.

I will try the half-way down trick.

I'm also going to try the "reverse" bleed. Force fluid in the bleeder hole and push it back up to the master cyl.

Irish
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Power bleed it like you said.

LIL EVO
04-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Power bleeding did nothing. There is no air in the lines. Clutch pedal is light and the slave rod barely moves.

What the fuck

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
This happened to me once on a 88 GMC truck, had to change the starter in order to do that the slave cylinder had to be pulled off. I figured no problem I had bleeding this cantankerous POS down to a science (power bleeding) after having nothing but trouble bleeding it the conventional way in previous dealing with this pick up.
Well this time after power bleeding it I had little to nothing, I messed with it for awhile and ended up replacing a master cylinder that I had replaced 2-3 years earlier. Fixed it fine.

75% of my dealings with hydraulic clutches have been negative and a pain and the other 25% has been perfect and easy.

twicks69
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Did you rebuild the master cylinder? The cylinder rod might have a blown o-ring. There should be two o-rings on it and over time it is pretty common for it to degrade one or both of the seals causing pressure loss, but no physical leakage in the car.

Just an idea.

Good luck Jason!

LIL EVO
04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
$115 later, new master and slave and it works. FUCK

Glad it's not my money/car.

Plastic master/slave cyl.. seriously.. plastic?? Firewall flexes when you push the clutch, slave bracket flexes on the transmission. Unreal. So ass backwards.

Irish
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
$115 later, new master and slave and it works. FUCK

Glad it's not my money/car.

Plastic master/slave cyl.. seriously.. plastic?? Firewall flexes when you push the clutch, slave bracket flexes on the transmission. Unreal. So ass backwards.

That's the General's quality for ya.

twirkin50
04-27-2009, 10:53 AM
My honda did the same thing..........master and slave fixed it. Glad to hear you got it fixed!