PDA

View Full Version : 2002 F150 engine noise went 1st starts.

Swags63
04-24-2009, 01:00 AM
I have a 2002 Ford 150 4X4 with the 5.4 in it. It run great and this is my first modular motor, but when it 1st starts there is a noise like a bad lifter. When it warms up it goes away but it drives me nuts:fire:fire:fire. My question is do these motor make noise at start up or do I have a problem. The noise goes away in a few minutes but I don't like it. Any info or suggestions.

Thanks Swags63

07ROUSHSTG3
04-24-2009, 07:06 AM
check your exhaust manifolds. i am guessing that they are rusting out and that is what you are hearing until they warm up. very common on the 2 valves. it will get worse and eventually the ticking will not go away, and your check engine light will stay on.

SilverBullitt
04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
the f150s had problems with the lash adjusters among other things. but that could be the noise youre hearing.

07ROUSHSTG3
04-24-2009, 12:30 PM
^^^
yeah there are a lot of things that it could be. the lash adjuster noise should be heard even when warm though. the thing will sound like a diesel chugging at idle.

the 5.4 is a generally ticky motor.

-stew-
04-24-2009, 02:13 PM
^^^
yeah there are a lot of things that it could be. the lash adjuster noise should be heard even when warm though. the thing will sound like a diesel chugging at idle.

the 5.4 is a generally ticky motor.

Has this truck recently had an oil change? Possibly a bad anti-drain back valve in the oil filter?

I worked on a 5.4l that locked up the left heads' cam. It ran and drove, like shitty, but it did run and drive. I had the front of the motor all tore down to do timing chains (what I figured the problem to be.) It was my boss's truck. He was pissssed when I started spinning the cam gear and shouting WHEEL OF FORTUNE!!!!! Good times, good times.

Rocket Power
04-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Your sparkplugs tight? Mine had what sounded like a lifter tick before the one blow out.