PDA

View Full Version : Need roofing advice/home inspector

4eyedstang
04-21-2009, 07:37 AM
i found a house i would like to buy.but one of the contengincies is that i have to put a new roof on it before i move in.

so my question is how much will it cost to put a roof on a 1000sq ft ranch style house? i probably could do it myself but i have no clue on how to estimate the cost.i did take a good look in the attic and the decking looks good and there is no sines of any leaking.

i am also looking for a home inspector

nitrous
04-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Is this going to be a complete tear-off or a roof-over?

4eyedstang
04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Is this going to be a complete tear-off or a roof-over?
I'm thinking complete tear off but there is only one layer of shingles up there. so i may just re roof depending on cost

PonyKiller87
04-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Well if you just shingle over whats there your only really going to save the time / labor to tear off and the cost of a dumpster(about $500)

Do figure the cost you need to know the square footage of the roof. Then go to menards and they can punch that in the computer and it will tell you how many bundles of shingles, rolls of tar paper and coils of nails you will need. They will show you a few different shingle options and thickness of paper, once you pick they will give you a price quote. My guess for a 1000 sg ft ranch, somewhere around $1000 total for materials for decent but not top notch stuff. Not sure what roofers charge, theres probably a few people on here that could do it for you as a side job.

brotherbenn83
04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Don't know if this is true or not, but I heard a typical pro roof install is about 3x materials cost. Therefore if you need $1000 materials, they would do the job for about $3000.
If you do it yourself, buy a roofing nailer. Very good $150-$200 investment. If you want someone else to do it, let me know I have a buddy with lots of roofing experience(not a pro roofer though)

nitrous
04-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Figure around $125-150 per square (100 sq.ft.) for materials. This includes good shingles, felt paper, nails, and ice/water barrier.

You may run into unexpected problems such as bad/rotted sheathing. If you only have a few bad pieces it's not so bad, but if most of the roof is bad you can add in the price of that.

wrath
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah, plan on $125/square. If you have a lot of valleys that can add up if you do valleys the right way (not running the roofing through the valley like seems to be common practice these days). Don't cheap out, get a dumpster and strip it. And buy decent shingles. And while you're up there, address any potential venting problems.

Shingles, even with all the typical roofing issues are addressed, still seem to only last about half their advertised lifespan.

awsomeears
04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Real roofers tear off every time !!!

Not to mention that's the half ass way of doing it, I have helped on some tear offs and its unreal what you find rotted out even if there are no leaks in the house. Wood can soak up a shit ton of water......

check your pm's

4eyedstang
04-21-2009, 05:09 PM
thanks for the help guys but it looks like this ones a no go" my bank wont finance it"

so back to waiting for this short sale offer i put in a month ago.:alcoholic