PDA

View Full Version : What is with the NFL moving the draft to late Sat afternoon?

Karps TA
04-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Ruins one of the best drinking days of the year. I've had a NFL draft day party for 4 years now. Nothing beats getting a bunch of guys over at 11am to sit around drink beer, and make stupid comments while watching the draft for 8 hours or so. It had turned into the perfect guys day, which always finished with a run to a titty bar at the end of the night.

Now the draft doesn't even start till 3pm. Which means it won't be till like 4:30 before we find out what player will be riding the pine for the Packers for the next 2 years.

Prince Valiant
04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Works for me...we always make a big party of it up in GB, now we can run it longer into the night. Before, we always hit the wall at 9 or so.

Karps TA
04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I could never deal with the Draft and actually be in GB. I'd end up driving to TT house and firebombing it I think.

Prince Valiant
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
trust me...there is no better time than GB at draft time. We basically try to eat ourselves sick and drink ourselves blind while trying to figure out who's going to go where. I hold our group record with 126 wings (BWW) w/ various appetizers, followed by a hooters cheesecake, followed by 3 krispy kreeme doughnuts.

PB86MCSS
04-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Wasn't it late starting last year? I prefer it to be early, not trying to make a prime time TV event out of it. I think its become way overblown but still fun to pay attention to, but I can't see watching that much of it....too much time between picks. Like hearing Mel Kiper tell it like it is though, not kiss up to teams like most sports analysts.

That_Guy
04-24-2009, 11:59 PM
trust me...there is no better time than GB at draft time. We basically try to eat ourselves sick and drink ourselves blind while trying to figure out who's going to go where. I hold our group record with 126 wings (BWW) w/ various appetizers, followed by a hooters cheesecake, followed by 3 krispy kreeme doughnuts.

i was up at in green bay last year for the draft.. no matter who we drafted i just booo'd.. "somebody has to do it" :rolf

pw_cc_runner
04-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I do not like the later start either... but they are probably thinking it will get more people to sit around and watch the talking heads before hand and they can sell "higher" priced add space in the hours leading up to it when before people were sleeping or not around?

Karps TA
04-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Hate the BJ Raji pick. Like would have rather had anyone but a fat pot smoker . Fukcing fatass was sweating just talking on the phone. But love the move for the LB Matthews.

70challenger452
04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I personally love the Raji pick, I really think he's gunna be a stud in the NFL. After watching him completely blow up offensive linemen while in college, I'm psyched to see him wear the green and gold. While I really I love the fact that we finally moved up in the draft to get a real good talent, and I'm a big Clay Mathews fan, I just really don't see him ever becoming more than an average OLB and real good special teamer

Prince Valiant
04-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Loved both the picks...but was far more surprised and impressed with the Matthews pick.

Raji is a freakin' beast. His 40 is decent for his size, but what impresses me is how quick off the ball he is. In just a short space he can blow big guys back. Also I like that his motor seemingly never stops. I actually think we've got two impact players on the first day....