PDA

View Full Version : Ruh roh...Blown Piston Ring w/ pics (56k=death)

CobaltSSTuner
04-20-2009, 10:58 AM
**Updated pics and stuff on pg 3

We tore apart the cobalt this weekend. Took the head off, and inspected the pistons. The sleeves are in the best shape I could ask for, for blowing a ring. Doesn't look like there is any major machining needed. Just some basic stuff. I figured I cracked a piston, but this is awesome news for me. Car should be back up and running in the next few weeks.

Here are a few photos

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/3-2.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/1-1.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/2-2.jpg

On an even better note, i had a box of parts come to my house on sat :D

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/mmmturbo.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/turbo.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/Tmani.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/turboorsupercharger.jpg
As soon as I get the motor squared away, thats stuff is going on^^ :headbang

Just curious, does anybody know what kind of injectors these are for? They came with the turbo stuff...

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/Injector.jpg

I want to give a special thanks to Alex(TeamRevSupport), Tyler(Stealthy1SS), and Eric (Ebristol).

juicedimpss
04-20-2009, 11:11 AM
dont forget to pull some more timing out.

GTSLOW
04-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Man you just had that things at Gus's sat night. Good luck on the new build. Was it a turbo before?

CobaltSSTuner
04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
nope, its supercharged. I"m doing a custom turbo swap. s20g turbo.

GTSLOW
04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Sweet man. I'll still take ya tho. :goof ;)

Flicktitty
04-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Goood stuff Jordan, can't wait too see it out.

that snail's been needing to go on for YEARS now.

CobaltSSTuner
04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Sweet man. I'll still take ya tho

eh idk about that lol....

I'm shooting for around 325hp on 15psi. Once I get the basic tuning squared away with the turbo, I want to see atleast 20psi.

CobaltSSTuner
04-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Goood stuff Jordan, can't wait too see it out.

that snail's been needing to go on for YEARS now.

geez man long time no talk. And its been a Year lol.

My guess is turbo will be on before the end of may :)

That_Guy
04-20-2009, 12:58 PM

I'm shooting for around 325hp on 15psi. Once I get the basic tuning squared away with the turbo, I want to see atleast 20psi.

your such a modest fuck... :rolf:thumbsup 325 hahahaha

GTSLOW
04-20-2009, 01:38 PM

I'm just givin ya shit man :)

CobaltSSTuner
04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
ha i know. its all good.:thumbsup

stealthy1ss
04-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Man you just had that things at Gus's sat night. Good luck on the new build. Was it a turbo before?

No that was me at Gus's. I had just come from his house straight to Gus's. My shit actually runs! :D

Russ Jerome
04-20-2009, 07:13 PM
The heavy black coating on top of the pistons apears to
be oil from the PVC system, oil and combustion equal
detonation, lead to broken pistons/rings.

Consider installing an exhaust check valve in the downpipe
while the car is down, plumb your VC to this so all the tiny
droplets of oil go out the tailpipe and not into the combustion
chamber. Ive built systems using generic
exhaust check valves from AIR systems on Ford and
Chevys, so well I've had to tweek them from pulling
raw oil right off the pan :o

Another benefit to a crankase evac to the exhaust is it help
seal the rings even under boost, less gas in the crank area
equals more HP and a better running car.

Russ Jerome
04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Here is one I made for something, typical downpipe:
http://sites.google.com/site/miscmicsforlinks/_/rsrc/1240272963477/Home/007.jpg
Research the angle online, this one works sweet.

That_Guy
04-20-2009, 07:20 PM
alot of his issues have to do with the person who first tuned the car i wont name any names.."cough street attack zach cough huge doucher cough"

CobaltSSTuner
04-20-2009, 08:15 PM
The heavy black coating on top of the pistons apears to
be oil from the PVC system, oil and combustion equal
detonation, lead to broken pistons/rings.

Consider installing an exhaust check valve in the downpipe
while the car is down, plumb your VC to this so all the tiny
droplets of oil go out the tailpipe and not into the combustion
chamber. Ive built systems using generic
exhaust check valves from AIR systems on Ford and
Chevys, so well I've had to tweek them from pulling
raw oil right off the pan :o

Another benefit to a crankase evac to the exhaust is it help
seal the rings even under boost, less gas in the crank area
equals more HP and a better running car.

Thats a great idea! I'm going to have to look into doing that.

srt4eh
04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I have a Hahn S20G on my srt4 now...wanna run 20Gs at GLD when yours is done? Mine will be tuned by the end of June ;)

CobaltSSTuner
04-21-2009, 10:12 AM
hell yea, I'm down. How much boost are you planning on running on ur s20g?

GTSLOW
04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
No that was me at Gus's. I had just come from his house straight to Gus's. My shit actually runs! :D

:rolf shit there's to many of you in here.

srt4eh
04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm looking at 24-26psi....

TURTLE
04-22-2009, 07:18 AM

^^^^^^^^
RACE CAR!!!!!:goof:goof:goof

i run whatever the atmosphere gives me:thumbsup

srt4eh
04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
^^^^^^^^
RACE CAR!!!!!:goof:goof:goof

i run whatever the atmosphere gives me:thumbsup

lol...its not a race car til I have some headwork and cams...lol. I do have meth/water injection now....this "neon" is gonna be sweet :banana1:

1siksrt
04-23-2009, 11:12 AM
hell yea, I'm down. How much boost are you planning on running on ur s20g?

That sucks that the cobalt bottom end is that weak, I put down 450whp without breakin a sweat on the stock nsrt engine...when you get yours done ill take a lane as well:thumbsup sometime in may or june???

1siksrt
04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
lol...its not a race car til I have some headwork and cams...lol. I do have meth/water injection now....this "neon" is gonna be sweet :banana1:
eddies car is gonna be fun for sure:thumbsup

That_Guy
04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
That sucks that the cobalt bottom end is that weak, I put down 450whp without breakin a sweat on the stock nsrt engine...when you get yours done ill take a lane as well:thumbsup sometime in may or june???

the cobalt bottom end is actually very impressive its just the pistons are the weakest part. that and bad tuners.

spindler27
04-24-2009, 09:39 PM
alot of his issues have to do with the person who first tuned the car i wont name any names.."cough street attack zach cough huge doucher cough"

i've heard a lot of shit about this tool, not one thing was good either, im just praying that the number of srt's he's worked on doesn't increase any further, i have my site that draws just about all of them in, but 1 in particular has gone to him and i'm not very impressed with his work

That_Guy
04-24-2009, 11:08 PM
i've heard a lot of shit about this tool, not one thing was good either, im just praying that the number of srt's he's worked on doesn't increase any further, i have my site that draws just about all of them in, but 1 in particular has gone to him and i'm not very impressed with his work

yeah he likes to blow up cobalt's.:rolleyes: " 4 of them so far plus a possible redline" id advise anybody who has had a tune or work done by him to go in and get it looked at by a professional shop its only a matter of time before it blows

CobaltSSTuner
04-24-2009, 11:53 PM

Long time no talk!

The bottom end is somewhat impressive. I'm getting the rods cryo treated for extra comfort, forged pistons, possible neutral balance shafts, but thats really it. I'm looking for a stock set of cams so I can send them out and get them re-ground to 272's and do valves and springs. Then I'll be happy :)

I guess I might just kick the boost up to 20 just because all these srt guys are intimidating me lol :headbang

CobaltSSTuner
04-24-2009, 11:55 PM

Yep, zack is a tool. He's been running from me for a while now. Has been nowhere to be found. F***ed over alot of people.

srt4eh
04-25-2009, 01:06 AM
Long time no talk!

The bottom end is somewhat impressive. I'm getting the rods cryo treated for extra comfort, forged pistons, possible neutral balance shafts, but thats really it. I'm looking for a stock set of cams so I can send them out and get them re-ground to 272's and do valves and springs. Then I'll be happy :)

I guess I might just kick the boost up to 20 just because all these srt guys are intimidating me lol :headbang

lol...nothing like friendly competition :banana

CobaltSSTuner
04-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm all about competition. but for some reason, i'm not suprised that 3 srt4 guys find their way in my rebuild thread lol

boostin350z
05-06-2009, 10:58 PM

good lord. joel is an srt4 god lol, and your turbo is pretty nice. what kinda numbers you lookin at?

srt4eh
05-06-2009, 11:45 PM
hoping to hit 400whp...I'll prolly end up just short due to me using the stock head. June 15 its getting dyno-tuned...we shall see :)

HiProfile
05-20-2009, 09:02 PM

Most people I know use a slashcut. If you research that (isn't easy), you'll find you practically don't need a check valve. As the exhaust passes, it creates a vacuum as the air moves around it - not unlike a wing makes lift. Unless you have a very restrictive muffler or exhaust, you'll always get vacuum from it - increasing with exhaust flow. The tests I've seen show ~1-8 inHg at any given load/rpm.

BTW what sort of turbo is that? Looks rather unusual - a bit wasteful with aluminum I might add.

1siksrt
05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
hoping to hit 400whp...I'll prolly end up just short due to me using the stock head. June 15 its getting dyno-tuned...we shall see :)

if a certain srt4 i know can run 10's on a stock head @ high 130's pretty sure a stock head and cams wont hurt you that much:thumbsup

1siksrt
05-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Long time no talk!

ok sounds good, i'll run my pump tune against you.. thats around 20psi..:D

AND ZACK IS A POS, and his work is god awful!!!!!!!!!

srt4eh
05-22-2009, 03:17 PM
if a certain srt4 i know can run 10's on a stock head @ high 130's pretty sure a stock head and cams wont hurt you that much:thumbsup

well...as far as the 20g is concerned....supposedly the head causes issues with power past 400...i know its got more in it...lol

TURTLE
05-22-2009, 07:08 PM
well...as far as the 20g is concerned....supposedly the head causes issues with power past 400...i know its got more in it...lol

race car!

lol:goof

i'll be happy with stock srt power to the ground... 215-220'ish... :alcoholic

CobaltSSTuner
05-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Most people I know use a slashcut. If you research that (isn't easy), you'll find you practically don't need a check valve. As the exhaust passes, it creates a vacuum as the air moves around it - not unlike a wing makes lift. Unless you have a very restrictive muffler or exhaust, you'll always get vacuum from it - increasing with exhaust flow. The tests I've seen show ~1-8 inHg at any given load/rpm.

BTW what sort of turbo is that? Looks rather unusual - a bit wasteful with aluminum I might add.

its a hahn s20g...

CobaltSSTuner
05-22-2009, 09:04 PM
ok sounds good, i'll run my pump tune against you.. thats around 20psi..:D

AND ZACK IS A POS, and his work is god awful!!!!!!!!!

do i get a head start? lol...

Brian98GTP
05-24-2009, 08:18 PM
BTW.... those injectors look like stock 36lb/hr 97-03 GTP injectors.

stealthy1ss
05-24-2009, 10:11 PM
When is this car going to run again? Next year? Never?

CobaltSSTuner
05-25-2009, 02:12 AM
STFU Tyler! As soon as Alex gets some free time, i'll be ready. I have all the parts sitting in my garage.

Thanks for the heads up! i did a lil searching and thats what I came up with...

Sooo if anybody wants some free injectors, let me know.

Plum Crazy
05-25-2009, 06:41 PM
hey tuna, my Palmen Hrs are Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat. so, towards the end of June, if you can take a wed and thurs. off, we can pull the motor, get the pistons in and hopefully have it running in those 2 days.

SlowMotion
05-25-2009, 09:06 PM

Brian when I saw the pic of the injectors they looked damn familiar definitely gm 3800 series II injectors :thumbsup

Deggy
05-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey Jordan, if you ever get a hold of Zach, tell him I'd like my $100 muffler back or my $100 back.

CobaltSSTuner
05-27-2009, 08:53 PM
**Pictures** :) (i've had them for a while, just been lazy to put up pics)

Pistons
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/Pistonbox.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/Piston.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/Pistonspec.jpg

Turbo stuff
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/ATPDelete.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/SCDelete1.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/SomeParts.jpg

New(er) intercooler, the guy put like 2k miles on it, alot better quality than the original ebay cheapo intercooler that originally came with the kit.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/Intercooler.jpg

Cheapo intercooler
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/cheapintercooler.jpg

This is just some of the stuff that I have photos of on my camera...i have more stuff in the garage, i'm just to lazy to take pictures...

hey tuna, my Palmen Hrs are Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat. so, towards the end of June, if you can take a wed and thurs. off, we can pull the motor, get the pistons in and hopefully have it running in those 2 days.

Well I need to give atleast 3 weeks notice for vacation. So the soonest I could take off is the 17th&18th. Would that work for you?

Hey Jordan, if you ever get a hold of Zach, tell him I'd like my $100 muffler back or my $100 back.

deggy, there is no way zach is going to talk to me...i'm out for blood...and he knows it. He screwed me over hard, and lots of other people. I've tried calling, i've even tried tracking him down. Bastard keeps avoiding me. Now i think he's in the navy, but idk. If i ever see him again, it will not be pretty.

srt4eh
05-29-2009, 12:14 PM
those treadstone fmic are supposed to be pretty nice. Whatcha doin with the other one?

CobaltSSTuner
05-29-2009, 05:08 PM
prolly gonna sell it. It was too small for my application too, so if anything, i'm just gonna see if i can sell it for like 50 bucks.

SpdRcrZ
07-20-2009, 09:10 PM
this thing running yet? lol

Damn I miss my Cavi now!

That_Guy
07-21-2009, 08:01 AM
this thing running yet? lol

Damn I miss my Cavi now!

its top secret grasshopper

Z Speed
07-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I thought you had this bad boy almost done already. looks like I will have my toy rolling before you then. :wow

That_Guy
07-23-2009, 08:26 AM
I thought you had this bad boy almost done already. looks like I will have my toy rolling before you then. :wow

his car was finished this last weekend and tuned

CobaltSSTuner
07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
cars together, working on a few small things. its been hard to find time to work on it. takes time. im basically ready for tuning

srt4eh
07-25-2009, 09:11 PM
My car needs tuning as well....would have been tuned except my spark plugs decided they wanted to give up at top end so I had to wait for my new ones to arrive in the mail. I can't wait to see your car done :). The 20G is amazing

Z Speed
07-29-2009, 06:25 AM
cars together, working on a few small things. its been hard to find time to work on it. takes time. im basically ready for tuning
break her in and go for broke... see if u can break my hp numbers. 492hp - 387tq at 28psi:durr

I will have a new toy for ya to run in due time.

That_Guy
07-29-2009, 07:26 AM
break her in and go for broke... see if u can break my hp numbers. 492hp - 387tq at 28psi:durr

I will have a new toy for ya to run in due time.

curt your so full of shit.. your brother has the same setup and he has had a god awful time breaking 350. not to mention you have been chummy with beeyond for years. adjusting the weight on the rollers doesnt mean you made 492 it just means your cheating yourself. it seems like every time you talk about your car the numbers go higher and higher. i find it all hard to believe considering you cant tune for the life of you. i wouldnt let your tune my lawnmower let a lone somebodies car. there is a reason why you aren't in the loop with jordans car because he doesnt need to deal with another zach. stop copying and pasting somebodies elses tune and claiming your as a tuner.

:alcoholicim glad i got that out there

srt4eh
07-29-2009, 04:55 PM
heh....

CobaltSSTuner
07-29-2009, 08:25 PM
My car needs tuning as well....would have been tuned except my spark plugs decided they wanted to give up at top end so I had to wait for my new ones to arrive in the mail. I can't wait to see your car done :). The 20G is amazing

Yea, so my supercharger locked up on me. Go figure. Turbo is hanging on the back of it right now :) i wasn't completely ready to go to turbo yet, but i dont have a choice. I'm stopping by Vulcan Turbo in Waukesha this weekend to pick up a few parts if they are open :confused Shooting for a 2 week full up and running time. GF's bday is next week so thats gonna put me back the 2 weeks (money wise lol)

As for your post curt, I never saw your dyno sheet, nor have i even heard that you dyno'd. Last I remembered was that you dyno'd at beyyond and struggled to get over 250. I'm not talking shit, i'm just saying I didn't know.

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 10:02 PM
well tuna, thats good to hear!

Z Speed
07-30-2009, 04:43 AM
Yea, so my supercharger locked up on me. Go figure. Turbo is hanging on the back of it right now :) i wasn't completely ready to go to turbo yet, but i dont have a choice. I'm stopping by Vulcan Turbo in Waukesha this weekend to pick up a few parts if they are open :confused Shooting for a 2 week full up and running time. GF's bday is next week so thats gonna put me back the 2 weeks (money wise lol)

As for your post curt, I never saw your dyno sheet, nor have i even heard that you dyno'd. Last I remembered was that you dyno'd at beyyond and struggled to get over 250. I'm not talking shit, i'm just saying I didn't know.

yea that was mid june... I was heat soaking bad on the dyno cause it was 90+ degrees in the shade. but last dyno prior to that I put down 260hp 255tq in october of 08.

but yea I did dyno my car turboed 22-24 degrees max timing, 24 psi got me over 400.. mixed in my gas tank some vp import fuel and turned the boost up to 28psi and got it to break 500 almost.... took it to gld next day blew the trans drove it home gave it one good last pull before getting to my house got some fuel cut and thats the last time it ran for me:devil

CobaltSSTuner
07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
i thought you had issues with your turbo being too big and not reaching full spool or taking a long time for spool?

Z Speed
07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
i thought you had issues with your turbo being too big and not reaching full spool or taking a long time for spool?

nah It was just the fact I wouldnt get into the efficentcy range of the turbo till I got above 15psi and thats when the car started moving... I would get full spool about 4000rpms it just seemed slow cause everything would jump on me and then i hit boost and rocket past them lol....

and idk what i did or why i got called a tool but if you could please... talk to me if theres a problem. Im not sure exactly what started it but. I was offended when I was called that when I tried to help you out man. I know ive said a few things out of line in the past due to misunderstanding. I just dont get why theres all this talk going on...

I did my best to help you with your car when we discovered your motor troubles at no gain to myself and to be insulted was kinda a low blow man. honestly all the trash talk needs to stop and be forgotten.

CobaltSSTuner
08-04-2009, 09:19 PM
nah It was just the fact I wouldnt get into the efficentcy range of the turbo till I got above 15psi and thats when the car started moving... I would get full spool about 4000rpms it just seemed slow cause everything would jump on me and then i hit boost and rocket past them lol....

and idk what i did or why i got called a tool but if you could please... talk to me if theres a problem. Im not sure exactly what started it but. I was offended when I was called that when I tried to help you out man. I know ive said a few things out of line in the past due to misunderstanding. I just dont get why theres all this talk going on...

I did my best to help you with your car when we discovered your motor troubles at no gain to myself and to be insulted was kinda a low blow man. honestly all the trash talk needs to stop and be forgotten.

/sidenote/
I've never really had any problems with you aside from some of the things that have been said in the past and things that have been claimed. but thats neither here nor there. I'm not about to have an "e-argument" on a forum. You have my phone number. It hasn't changed since january. If you really wanted to talk to me you could have contacted me. Fact is, derek acts like a tool when he is around you. I have a problem with him. Thats all i'm saying on the forum.
/sidenote end/

Turbo should be on by saturday. Then it will be waiting on tuning. From a certain someone :)

Flicktitty
08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Jordan, got any pics? i needs some.

CobaltSSTuner
08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I do...on my phone lol. Text me, this is my new number-- 920-285-3622. Ill send ya some via text, otherwise ur gonna have to wait till fri, when i can get the gf's camera

stealthy1ss
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
So is the turbo on the car yet?

CobaltSSTuner
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
uh yea lol. Piping is ran and blah blah. Just waiting on a 90 degree coupler that i 3 day shipped outta japan!!!

and i'm running around with a catted open downpipe...no exhaust yet lol

GMRedline
08-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Where do the 12 second cobalts hang out?

That_Guy
08-13-2009, 12:36 AM
apparently there is a fella who thinks he has a 12 sec one right in milwaukee with the stock supercharger of all things lol..

CobaltSSTuner
08-13-2009, 09:14 PM
redlines suck! lol :)