PDA

View Full Version : Summit/Jegs prices BEWARE

Sprayaway Fox
04-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Ive been buying some parts lately and relized that there are cheaper places on Ebay to get parts. These are Ma n Pa speed shop vendors that are cheaper then the big outlets. Just a headsup to people that reach for the good ol Summit book and order.

Example: Solid roller cam was thirty dollars cheaper then Summit, plus it came with a Comp Cams T shirt. I call Summit to let them know it was cheaper and they couldnt match the price of the cam. I ordered through Ebay and got the same thing with a T shirt for 30 bucks cheaper. I have been finding this a lot lately for some reason.

Voodoo Chick
04-16-2009, 02:08 AM
Well......if it comes with a T-shirt, it has to be good! :)

Z28Envy
04-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Ive been buying some parts lately and relized that there are cheaper places on Ebay to get parts. These are Ma n Pa speed shop vendors that are cheaper then the big outlets. Just a headsup to people that reach for the good ol Summit book and order.

Example: Solid roller cam was thirty dollars cheaper then Summit, plus it came with a Comp Cams T shirt. I call Summit to let them know it was cheaper and they couldnt match the price of the cam. I ordered through Ebay and got the same thing with a T shirt for 30 bucks cheaper. I have been finding this a lot lately for some reason.

A cam? You must have a race car then!:goof I can't compete!:rolf

letsrunem
04-16-2009, 02:16 AM
They're usually pretty good about beating prices by $1 but not ebay for obvious reasons. At least you have the peace of mind knowing you can return pretty much anything.

Sprayaway Fox
04-16-2009, 03:11 AM
A cam? You must have a race car then!:goof I can't compete!:rolf

Pshh. I need a cam just to see your tailights for a 1/4 mile in that rocket ship you call a car....U needed a .50 jet from Vic at RPM? He told me a .500 jet!, thats the word on the street....Streetcar?...yeah...Streetcar:rolleyes:: )

I returned one thing to Jegs and got hit over the head with shipping. I do a build sheet now and write down the PN's then before ordering I check the specs and PN again then order. Kind of gunshy on returning things after the stuff that happened a while back.

Z28Envy
04-16-2009, 03:17 AM
[QUOTE=Sprayaway Fox;528714]Pshh. I need a cam just to see your tailights for a 1/4 mile in that rocket ship you call a car....U needed a .50 jet from Vic at RPM? He told me a .500 jet!, thats the word on the street....Streetcar?...yeah...Streetcar:rolleyes:: )

You wont have any trouble keeping up with me. My tranny is on strike! Won't be spraying it until I save my lunch money and get a built one! Maybe I can drop it at your house and you can throw that t56 in it if you are bored!!:rolf

Josepy
04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=Sprayaway Fox;528714]Pshh. I need a cam just to see your tailights for a 1/4 mile in that rocket ship you call a car....U needed a .50 jet from Vic at RPM? He told me a .500 jet!, thats the word on the street....Streetcar?...yeah...Streetcar:rolleyes:: )

You wont have any trouble keeping up with me. My tranny is on strike! Won't be spraying it until I save my lunch money and get a built one! Maybe I can drop it at your house and you can throw that t56 in it if you are bored!!:rolf

6 speed 6 speed

NitrousPig
04-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Screw Flea Bay...how about supporting the people in your own back yard. I know that there are speed shops in the area that can meet or beat summit and jegs pricing on most stuff. Oh and try calling those e-bay guys sometime and asking them how to set something up on your specific car, or come to the track and help tune your nitrous system, good luck. I know in this economy money is important, but doing something right the first time is a lot cheaper than doing it twice.

Myles
04-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Screw Flea Bay...how about supporting the people in your own back yard. I know that there are speed shops in the area that can meet or beat summit and jegs pricing on most stuff. Oh and try calling those e-bay guys sometime and asking them how to set something up on your specific car, or come to the track and help tune your nitrous system, good luck. I know in this economy money is important, but doing something right the first time is a lot cheaper than doing it twice.

x2, i always use local shops first before i head to the net.

GTSLOW
04-16-2009, 08:31 AM
x2, i always use local shops first before i head to the net.

You own a car? :stare

Irish
04-16-2009, 08:37 AM

I agree and disagree.

I believe that there are some really good deals to be had on ebay. I also agree with taking care of those in your own community. We would be a lot better off if Wisconsin money stayed in Wisconsin.

nitrous
04-16-2009, 08:49 AM

That's the beauty of free market.

Myles
04-16-2009, 08:51 AM
You own a car? :stare

2 of em, shocking.

-stew-
04-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I agree and disagree.

I believe that there are some really good deals to be had on ebay. I also agree with taking care of those in your own community. We would be a lot better off if Wisconsin money stayed in Wisconsin.

I agree. I'm all about keeping it local, but when the local ford dealer tries to charge $15 shipping on a $20 part that is the size of a chapstick just because it says "Ford Racing" on the box; thats when I do a lil google magic and buy that shit off the interwebs.

juicedimpss
04-16-2009, 09:56 AM

x14531585632503

it kills me when guys are buying shit from ebay or mail order then asking for FREE TECH advise from the local small shop that they didnt buy from because they wanted to save $3.

Sprayaway Fox
04-16-2009, 11:31 AM
x14531585632503

it kills me when guys are buying shit from ebay or mail order then asking for FREE TECH advise from the local small shop that they didnt buy from because they wanted to save $3.

I have 1 speed shop by me, I go there actually a lot. Its Vic at RPM Speed and Custom. I like the shop he does give deals but you got to be nice to him and be coming back, Ive been going there for 10 years and he still calls me "kid" but he knows what vehicles I have and what they are. I know he couldnt beat this price though.

Z28 hit me with a PM if you looking for trans work. My bud has a account at AAROW in Howards grove or if you need a bigger NX kit also :) hehehe I could ask him if you want.

NitrousPig
04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
That's the beauty of free market.

Yeah, and you're probably the same guy that calls the shops around you asking for advice but never gives them any business. That's the beauty of the internet, it gives us little shops an idea of who to help out and who not to! E-bay really isn't that great of a deal once you shop around you might figure that out.

nitrous
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Please know what you're talking about before you speak to me.

Rocket Power
04-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I support my local guy (Rocket Racing) because the prices and service are both great, about the only stuff I buy off ebay is used stuff. I don't recall ever buying from Jegs or Summit, did buy from PAW years ago and they messed up the order.

GTSLOW
04-16-2009, 02:09 PM
:rolf at the title of this thread. Beware

Karps TA
04-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I search all over for pricing on stuff. Alot of Ebay are guys just trying to start their own businesses. I don't have a problem supporting them if their price is good. Alot of times once shipping get's added though it's about the same as Jegs and Summit. Sometimes not.

I'd never think of calling up a speed shop and asking them for help if I never gave them a dime. However if I was shopping around for work to be done I'd atleast want to be treated with some kind of respect even if some of my questions may be considered dumb. Can't say that had always been the case.

TheRX7Project
04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Buyers beware: stuff on eBay is cheaper than the stuff you order from a real retailer!

HOLY SHIT HOW DID YOU FIGURE THIS OUT?

As for me, I look for deals on eBay, like the Hayden e-fan I bought for $6 shipped... however if the prices are ~the same, I'll buy local.

jbiscuit
04-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Fast Times can usually beat Summit's prices

Voodoo Chick
04-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I love ordering from Summit, they always have great prices, and awesome service, but I also love going to the local speed shop and buying from them, they are excellent at providing parts and service too. I guess it just depends on the situation.

xxtremeteam
04-16-2009, 02:59 PM
depends on price and how fast I need a item, but my car is mostly stock so I goto autozone or similar places

Voodoo Chick
04-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I have 3 cars, one bone-stock, one semi-stock, one NOT stock, so I end up going all over for parts. The bone-stock Camaro, I can get parts anywhere, the semi-stock Oldsmobile is REALLY hard to find parts for, and the not-anywhere-near-stock Z/28 is usually speed shop/Summit only.

NitrousPig
04-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Please know what you're talking about before you speak to me.

Gee, thanks for the suggestion...:rolleyes: