PDA

View Full Version : Worth checking out: Cheesy Grill

Prince Valiant
04-13-2009, 03:06 PM
If you like (and by that, I mean really like) grilled cheese sandwiches, it may be worth the effort to check out the Cheesy Grill, 2155 Miller Park Way, right across the street from the Sonic Burger. That's actually how I came to the place, went hoping to try the Sonic, but found the wait a little too much; a friend had mentioned the place before (but he hadn't tried it, just that he'd like to), so I figured, why not?

The menu, as one might presume, is pretty much all twist on an old favorite, the grilled cheese sandwich. Some of the options you can choose:

1. Cheesy Joe: Sloppy Joe and American grilled cheese.

2. Buffalo Chicken: Grilled cheese, chopped chicken breast swimming in a (very decent) hot wing sauce. Not too spicy.

3. Cheesy Brat: chopped up johnsonville brat within a grilled cheese.

4. Chili Cheesy Dog: chopped up hot dog and chili in a grilled cheese.

...and much much more. Some sandwiches include bacon, tomato, peporroni, ham, salami, and more.

You can choose bread type (Rye, sourdough, wheat), types of cheese (may charge extra, but american, swiss, cheddar, provolone), or extra meat. Also Mac & Cheese and tomato soups feature prominently in the menu, with varieties and off-shoots from the sandwiches mentioned above.

I had a buffalo chicken grilled cheese (served on sourdough w/ provolone cheese) and must say that I enjoyed it. The wing sauce, though not spicy, had a good tang to it, which I enjoy from a good traditional wing sauce. Chicken was juicy and chopped up fine enough that the sauce could really permeate it throughout, and take on the flavor of the sauce. Ordered fries with the sandwich. Overall, a good lunch in my book.

Silver86
04-13-2009, 03:07 PM
oh man... need one of those near me... i would eat there all the time...

Nick
04-13-2009, 03:08 PM
My girlfriend tells me how awesome they are.

03CVLX
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm there fairly often as i pass it daily going to work. I highly recommend the Mac & Cheese and also the sandwich called the Cheesy Pepperoni. Its Sourdough with Provolone and Pepperoni served with pizza dipping sauce.

The only unfortunate part of is how much the prices have gone up since they opened. That place used to be a killer deal, now it gets expensive quick.

Karps TA
04-13-2009, 03:17 PM
I tried it last week and thought it was really expensive for what you got. I just had a ham and swiss on rye, cheese fries and a drink and it was just under $10. I atleast expected the ham to be something more like a spiral sliced ham. It was more like something that came out of a can.

I wouldn't mind trying some of their other things, but the price is going to keep me from going out of my way.

Voodoo Chick
04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Hmmm.....sounds like it might be a little nauseating.

mrz28M6
04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
yea i heard the prices are pretty high for what you get.

Prince Valiant
04-13-2009, 04:19 PM
yea i heard the prices are pretty high for what you get.That I won't deny...my meal (grilled cheese, regular fry, regular soda) came out to just over 8 dollars. This is right in line with going to Qdoba and getting a queso burrito and soda, sure...but the volume of food just isn't the same. It's probably 2-2.50 more than what it should be.

SSDude
04-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Went there about a month ago. Great concept, good food, kinda pricey though, not the best overall value.
Not bad for something different once in a while.
I'd rather go down the road to the El Rey grocery lunch counter on 35th & Burnham where you can get a feast for the same money.

awsomeears
04-13-2009, 06:38 PM
The only thing I don't like is that its expensive for what you get, by no means am I a cheap ass but my meal was $9 and the portions did not match a $9 meal.

There radio commercial says " its a cheap lunch " but I disagree, but the food is great and I will stop back. Probably not as much due to the price but there still in my mind.

Exitspeed
04-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I saw that place when I went to Sonics too. I was wondering how it was.

Got Boost
04-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Good food but WAY to pricey Like almost 3 bucks for a grilled Ham and cheese ..... Eat their once and you feel really ripped off...

Nick
04-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Good food but WAY to pricey Like almost 3 bucks for a grilled Ham and cheese ..... Eat their once and you feel really ripped off...

Sounds a lot better than a grileld chicken sandwich from McDonalds for $4.50+ though.

03CVLX
04-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Ok, I know this has been dead for awhile but had to post todays experience.

I usually go to Cheesy grill a couple times a week. It's probably my favorite place to stop and get a sandwich on my way to work. Today I tried to order one of the double Cheesy Pepperonis, a Bacon grilled cheese, some cheese fries and a Soda. Grand total. $17.80 :durr I almost fell over. When I questioned the cost, the on duty manager could only say. Sir, I don't set the prices. I then tried to cancel the cheese fries and it was still 14.50. I ended up walking out. My days of supporting this place are pretty much over.

RanJer
04-20-2009, 12:48 AM
I just sent them an email asking why they don't list prices on the website, I'll see what they have to say back. Sounds like it was a cool idea, but someone's losing money on it and trying to slowly bump up prices without too much notice..

RanJer
04-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Sent me a pdf of the menu with prices..
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/JayThreeAre/Menu1.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/JayThreeAre/Menu2.jpg

DirtyMax
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Doesn't look any worse than a Panera or the like. I always spend $10 there and still leave hungry.

jon_we4
04-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Tried it once, good and unique food. A little pricey - but fun to do once in awhile.

Reminds of Stewps in the fact that its a small little place that is good to do once in awhile. Unfortunately Stewps is no more and I can't get a good tub of hearty beef stew anywhere :(