PDA

View Full Version : ~ Anyone work for a Bicycle shop ~

awsomeears
04-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I have the itch to get a Decent mountain bike :thumbsup

I'm not a pro rider, I'm not going pro I just want to enjoy trail riding near the cliffs of cudahy down to oak creek. When I was younger I would ride the trails everyday, and there still there :thumbsup

Plus the bike trail that goes from Cudahy down to southmilwaukee 7-bridges is peaceful.

I'm 5' 11" at a heavy 155

What brands are good and hold up, Ive never had a bike with disc brakes. I'm sure they work well but whats the downfall of them, the standard brakes that I have only had were pretty good and never caused any issues.

Trek
Gary Fisher
Giant
Mongoose
Specialize
Huffy :goof

Porks yours is just to much for me, not that its not worth it just can't spend that amount :goof

That_Guy
04-11-2009, 11:39 AM
u have a pm

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
04-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Go see Vinnie at Ben's Cycle. Tell him Ben at Hayes sent you.

domokun
04-11-2009, 12:59 PM
I would go with Trek ( built in wisconsin, so I support them )

but gary fisher, Specialize and giant are decent

I have disc brakes on mine and would never go back. they stopped great in water and mud.

now do you want you full suspension or hard tail?

bikes can get VERY pricey, I spent 1600 on mine :-/

That_Guy
04-11-2009, 01:10 PM
emery's /thread ask for ben or brent.. they are my uncles and they will take care of you very well if you say, "im a friend of nathan"

British_Ben
04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Disc brakes are awesome. They stop in everything hot or cold, dust, mud, water, sand, you name it, they stop. There are two downfalls to disc brakes though. 1) If you wreck and bash a rotor up you are screwed unless you have a spare rotor with you (so, if you get disc brakes, carry a spare rotor at least for the front). 2) If you lube your chain and sprocket up and get oil on the rotor or pads you have to clean the rotor and torch or fry(literally, in a pan) the pads to cook the oil out, or just get new pads.

Full suspension is really nice but make sure the rear shock has a lock on it, otherwise cranking up hills is a nightmare. All of your power goes into bouncing the bike up and down and not pushing the bike forwards.

emery's /thread ask for ben or brent.. they are my uncles and they will take care of you very well if you say, "im a friend of nathan"

I bought my Trek from Emery's, I can't remember who I dealt with but they were really nice guys and set the bike up perfect for me.

pOrk
04-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I love my Trek, but a decent Trek is going to cost some coin. I paid a grand for my single speed 69er, and I got a SCREAMING deal on it. They usually sell used for 1200 bucks

awsomeears
04-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Jesus !!!

Since the last time I rode ( 10 years ago ) bikes have went up in price, then again all I had were huffys and shit. Being an adult the bike is larger and well the quality is better.

I just gotta get out and tool around to get an idea of what I'm looking for, ramrod I will head up there when I get a plan of attack !!!

Thank You

pOrk
04-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Kyle works at Allis Bike and Fitness in Stallis, ride a few bikes before you buy one and see what you feel most comfortable on.

That_Guy
04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Disc brakes are awesome. They stop in everything hot or cold, dust, mud, water, sand, you name it, they stop. There are two downfalls to disc brakes though. 1) If you wreck and bash a rotor up you are screwed unless you have a spare rotor with you (so, if you get disc brakes, carry a spare rotor at least for the front). 2) If you lube your chain and sprocket up and get oil on the rotor or pads you have to clean the rotor and torch or fry(literally, in a pan) the pads to cook the oil out, or just get new pads.

Full suspension is really nice but make sure the rear shock has a lock on it, otherwise cranking up hills is a nightmare. All of your power goes into bouncing the bike up and down and not pushing the bike forwards.

I bought my Trek from Emery's, I can't remember who I dealt with but they were really nice guys and set the bike up perfect for me.

thats great to hear.. i had just taken my moutain bike in for a tune up and new tires put on.. they seemed to be rather busy with the start of summer around the corner.. alot of race bikes getting worked on.. it was pretty dam impressive.

tommyt5078
04-11-2009, 10:01 PM
You can get a real nice bike for under $500, for sure.............I spent about $700 on a real nice bike ten years ago, I could replace it with a new one with same stuff on it for less then $400.

Trutildeathxxx
04-12-2009, 02:00 AM
if you are interested in stopping in allis bike and fitness, let me know when and i can make sure im there and i can see what i can do

Fast SVT
04-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Get one with disc brakes for the rain/mud. I spent a shiny penny on mine for full suspension with front/rear lock out (for climbing hills) and disc brakes.

I went with specialized and wouldn't have done differently if I had another chance. The XC Expert I have is a great all around mountain bike that hardcore riders would consider slightly better than mid range.

If you ever have a chance go on a night ride with a group of buddies, great fun, but be sure to get a proper light.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/fsr-xc-expert-08-29149

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/mountain/WMB79/WMB79.bt_big.spcpack-399-75.jpg