PDA

View Full Version : Got a wierd rattle (front end)

MoCkiN U
04-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I have had a rattle when i went over big bumps for a while now in the stang but now lately I can hear it even on the smallest little bump in the road. Sounds like comes from both sides. This started after I had the car up on jack stands from putting the clutch in last fall or so. Has gotten progressively worse since. I have checked the shock at the top and the bottom thinking it was loose and no go. What else should i chase down? Thought the spring could be out of its seat or something....If that even exists? Maybe a rubber seat that keeps metal from rubbing? Dont know what else to look at when I put it in the air this week.

Only happens on bumps
Doesnt do it when turning
No squeals just a rattle

I put the driver side tire off the ground with the factory jack real quick today and smacked the tire with just my hand and I could hear the same rattle but couldnt determine alone where it was coming from

Fast95Stang
04-11-2009, 01:09 AM
It could be the sway bar links or sway bar bushings...

To check the links, grab the middle of it and try moving it up and down. Look for play on each end of it (where the bushings are).

To check the sway bar bushings (the bushings where the sway bar bolts to the chassis) you need to use a pry bar. Put the pry bar between the sway bar and chassis and pry out on the bar. Look at the bushings and see if the bar moves in the bushing. If the bar does not move in the bushing and the bushing just compresses then they should be OK. Sorry if this is confusing...

Reverend Cooper
04-11-2009, 05:22 AM
its probably the strut mounts, they are notorious for this. pop the hood,tighten the center big strut nut with a impact,then tighten the four strut mount nuts surrounding it on both sides, redrive is it better at all,even if its a little better you know the issue,if its gone start saving up for new mounts.
the other item I would check it to make sure the spring insulators are still in place on the spring and seat of the strut.
links are a possibility altho they usually are not that loud and the noise sounds duller and lower in the floor,front saway bar bushings will make more of a thudding noise low.
strut mounts willl be a hogher up more metal on metal type rattling

MoCkiN U
04-11-2009, 09:34 AM
yeah its a higher pitched noise. I attacked those 4 bolts last night around the shock tower to see if that was it but didnt have a larger one for the top nut the 4 werent loose at all. Will get Jesse to give me a hand with that tonight and then if thats not it see if those insulators fell out

Holeshot
04-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I had a rattle all the way to Green Bay and back yesterday. Drove me insane. Dumb ass me never latched the hood prop rod after I check my fluids before we left. Damn I'm a tard sometimes.

GRAMPS SS
04-11-2009, 04:56 PM
It could be the sway bar links or sway bar bushings...

To check the links, grab the middle of it and try moving it up and down. Look for play on each end of it (where the bushings are).

To check the sway bar bushings (the bushings where the sway bar bolts to the chassis) you need to use a pry bar. Put the pry bar between the sway bar and chassis and pry out on the bar. Look at the bushings and see if the bar moves in the bushing. If the bar does not move in the bushing and the bushing just compresses then they should be OK. Sorry if this is confusing...

have to go with sway bar bushings...the samething happened to the QUEER...drove me nuts...then i checked the bushings after new front shocks,new links....just my thought...

MoCkiN U
04-11-2009, 09:12 PM
we have narrowed down to wheel bearings we think. All bushings looked great and snug. Have up and down movement on the wheel and hear the "clink" and also side to side movement and get the "clink" so Coop gave us advise that after seeing the bushings are ok and with that description thinks its wheel bearings or hubs i think they are called on this car

Reverend Cooper
04-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Make sure you check the inner rack end,grab onto it and shake it down again. I also forgot to mention that the wheel bearing issue usually gives a noise when driving like a whirring sound.
Man wish i was there when you were looking at it it would help so much

MoCkiN U
04-13-2009, 09:43 PM
So I get a call today from Jesse and hes like dude when you drive the car and go over bumps that cause the rattle press the brake down and see what happens.

Okay, so on the way home I was going down 94 and pressed the brake down and voila....stopped. lifted off the brake and got the rattle.

Evidently there is something called a "anti rattle kit" for the brake system some kind of guard is rattling against the caliper causing this noise I hear. should be easy fix

MoCkiN U
04-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Just wanted to say THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THE BOARD!!!

Thanks to Coop also for taking the random phone calls to try and help a brotha out. You got us started in the right direction and Jesse was able to track down the issue to a problem with some kinda of rattle kit in the calipers. Funny when you treat people with respect they give it back and lend a helping hand. THX buddy!

Reverend Cooper
04-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey before you buy new stuff,I can't believe I forgot this. I had the same issue on mine in the rear,we clean our cars way to much and the pressure washers take all the lube of the shims and anti-rattle clips on the backs of the pads and the pad holder. Get the calipers off clean off the brake dust,check and make sure the clips are on right and tight,if not replace. Make sure the shims are on and tight on the backs of the pads if not replace. If both are on and secure use some anti-sieze on the backs of the shims and on the fit kits,the noise you're prolly getting is more than likely the the pad rattling on the fit clips in the pad holder due to not enough lube in there. Mine does this after I have pressure washed the wheels a bunch of times as the anti-sieze gets washed away.
Your welcome for the help,anytime man.

1320PNY
04-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm just getting to this thread today (late). I had the same issue with my rears. I thought it was control arm for the longest, but turns out, as Coop mentioned, we're so worried about cleanliness we wash out the lubricant.

moels
06-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Having this issue with my brakes as well. Going out to fix the problem now. Where can I find the anti rattle clips if I need them? I've been looking online and can't seem to find the clips. I assume they are included in a certain caliper kit??

This is for my 95 cobra btw.

MoCkiN U
06-29-2009, 10:38 AM
are they broken? If so your local parts store does carry them. I just had to lube the parts up on mine to get it to stop.

DirtyMax
06-29-2009, 10:43 AM
The clips usually should be on the brake pads. It's basically just a metal shim that goes in between the pads and the caliper piston, typically clipped on to the pad.

Hopefully if anyone ever put brakes on the car, they had the sense to transfer the clips over. If not, I hope you can get them seperate but even if you cant, the goop might very well quiet them down.

Once you get in there, you should see them and be able to shlop them up with anti sieze like Coop said or Auto Zone even sells this stuff in a packet that resembeles Vaseline and is for anti squeek/click. Apply some to both sides of the shim, reassemble, and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

moels
06-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Well, I know this is for sure the problem but I'm not sure if they are broken or just need lube because I can't get the bolts free. I may have to go to the garage up the road and see what kind of money I'm looking at to get this taken care of.

DirtyMax
06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
It sounds as though whomever did them last didn't use anti sieze at all on anything. Try a little PB or WD40 on those bolts if you have some handy.

moels
06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Yep, gonna shower it with PB and let it sit til morning and try again. I couldn't bring myself to go to the mechanic just yet. lol

Reverend Cooper
06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
dirty your talking about the shims,he means the fit clips that sit in the pad holder. Wayne go to ford and get factory ones.

DirtyMax
06-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Gotcha 10-4. Well goop all that stuff up anyways when you get it apart... :thumbsup

moels
07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Forgot to update.......... I bought the brake kit from Autozone for $4.99 and it solved the issue. Came with the clips for the pads and new rods and lock washer/clip, very simple fix.