PDA

View Full Version : ATV brakes seized

u_say_go
04-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Pulled the kids Honda TRX125 out of hibernation, fired it up and took it for a spin. Pulled front and rear brake levers and the brakes seized up. Going to the library to pick up a Clymer's repair manual before I open a can of worms bigger than I can handle.
ANy insight from you 4-wheeler experts is appreciated.

70 cutlass 442
04-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Clymer will probably be useless, if you can swing the $50, id deffintly scoop up a OEM manual! id just get a new caliper for it,,,,, unless that machine uses drums.... caliper kits are reasonable and much easier then rebuilding one!

Coops Brother
04-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Pulled the kids Honda TRX125 out of hibernation, fired it up and took it for a spin. Pulled front and rear brake levers and the brakes seized up. Going to the library to pick up a Clymer's repair manual before I open a can of worms bigger than I can handle.
ANy insight from you 4-wheeler experts is appreciated.

Most Hondas have a drum brake, and from what I've seen.... the pivot shaft that the brake arm attaches to freezes up in the brake housing.
Loosen the brake cable at the handle bar, remove the cable and arm at the wheel, remove the wheel, disassemble the brakes and the drive out the pivot shaft, it comes out towards the wheel, clean it and the bore up real good, slap some grease on it and put it back together.

Brian

70 cutlass 442
04-10-2009, 07:52 AM
This site may have what your looking for......

http://www.manualz.info/

If i remember correctly, they had pretty much all the service manuals and parts lists for the major bike companies.