PDA

View Full Version : Fondulac county out house laws, I really need some Help on this !!!

awsomeears
04-08-2009, 12:31 AM
My grandfather has been on long lake in dundee WI for the past 67 years and has worked for the DNR just a tad here and there nothing like wearing the uniform and stuff. Mostly helping out with water samples and some other crap, he is no dummy but can be very passive on some things.

There is a out house up there that has about a 5' deep concrete pit, the walls of the holding tank gotta be all of 12" thick. Its built well for the times.......

About 4 years ago they had some inspector come out and say you might have to get rid of this and here are your options yada yada yada. Well the options were sort of schetchy and my grandpa said the hell with that we will keep our out house.

The out house is a good 100feet away from the lake.

He got a letter in the mail 5 days ago saying " We over looked your property and you must remove the out house in 30 days " I don't even remember reading the Exact Details why he needs it removed. He then called and asked for extra days and they guy was very nice and said he will add a few months.

What I'm trying to find out is there a actual law saying we need to get rid of it for xxx reasons ?

I'm sure one of the reasons is that it COULD be leaking, by all means that could be true. But its never been inspected to find out if it is or not so there solution is to just tear it down and fill it up with gravel and done ?

Odd thing is that once its down we then can build/purchase one that has a holding tank that goes into the ground, granted its all 2009 parts but what the hell are we gaining on something we don't know if it is or is not leaking.

Were talking a least $3k - $5k guessing in the whole kit !!!

There is some other details that I'm not going to talk about but if there is anyone that can help me out I really would owe you the shirt off my back.

I want to talk to somebody other then the two guys my grandpa has talked to, something to me is way to fishy that my brother and I have to step in.

If everything turns out its legit and Illegal there is no problem replacing it :thumbsup

07ROUSHSTG3
04-08-2009, 07:16 AM
i am sure that there are laws. my parents had to cap their private well for probably the same reason. not 100% but anything that could contaminate the water supply, including outhouses, private wells, garage drains, and so on, are all against the law unless built to a certain spec.

i would call a local septic place and have them look and see what they can do. maybe by adding some baffles or something, they can get that tank to pass as a holding tank?!??! either way I would do something......and fast.

07ROUSHSTG3
04-08-2009, 07:44 AM
found a couple things that may be usefull.

http://www.sawyercountygov.org/CountyDepartments/ZoningSanitation/OrdinanceRulesandBylaws/PrivateSewageSystemOrdinance/tabid/324/Default.aspx#_Toc225666343

here is the statute that they use:
254.59(2)

(2) If a human health hazard is found on private property, the local health officer shall notify the owner and the occupant of the property, by registered mail with return receipt requested, of the presence of the human health hazard and order its abatement or removal within 30 days of receipt of the notice. If the human health hazard is not abated or removed by that date, the local health officer shall immediately enter upon the property and abate or remove the human health hazard or may contract to have the work performed. The human health hazard shall be abated in a manner which is approved by the local health officer. The cost of the abatement or removal may be recovered from the person permitting the violation or may be paid by the municipal treasurer and the account, after being paid by the treasurer, shall be filed with the municipal clerk, who shall enter the amount chargeable to the property in the next tax roll in a column headed "For Abatement of a Nuisance" as a special tax on the lands upon which the human health hazard was abated, and the tax shall be collected as are other taxes. In case of railroads or other lands not taxed in the usual way, the amount chargeable shall be certified by the clerk to the secretary of administration who shall add the amount designated in the certificate to the sum due from the company owning, occupying, or controlling the land specified, and the secretary of administration shall collect the amount as prescribed in subch. I of ch. 76 and return the amount collected to the town, city, or village from which the certificate was received. Anyone maintaining such a human health hazard may also be fined not more than $300 or imprisoned for not more than 90 days or both. The only defenses an owner may have against the collection of a tax under this subsection are that no human health hazard existed on the owner's property, that no human health hazard was corrected on the owner's property, that the procedure outlined in this subsection was not followed or any applicable defense under s. 74.33.

07ROUSHSTG3
04-08-2009, 07:46 AM
guy at work has a place on long lake. last year he got the same thing. had to put a holding tank in and fill the pit.