PDA

View Full Version : engagement rings..

0TransAm0
04-07-2009, 09:55 PM
anybody got a "hook up" or what store do you guys recomend?? im not looking to spend a fortune probably 1500 at the most... im a broke ass...spending all my money on a house....

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Nice folks over there at Rasmussen Diamonds, Hwy20 @ Emmertsen.

xFullThrottlex
04-07-2009, 10:39 PM
craigslist?

lol, no but seriously... i hear a bunch of ads for broke asses like you and I to go to Kessler's:headbang

wrath
04-07-2009, 10:46 PM
After looking around for six months all over the place including the various custom shops in Madison and Milwaukee we ended up having a ring made at Krumenacher's Jewelers on Silvernail in Waukesha using stones we already had. The owner is pretty cool. We ended up getting what we wanted for less than what Kessler's wanted for a mailorder ring.

And I got a cheap tungsten ring from that goofy rock shop in Madison for less than I could get it online.

Yooformula
04-08-2009, 01:05 AM
damm you are buying her a house! I say look into those $.25 candy machines for the ring now.lol

michelle
04-08-2009, 06:24 AM
I liked what I found at Jareds. Adam gave me his "budget" and I found my engagement ring and wedding band for that limit. I went to the one on Bluemound and they were super nice there.

TheRX7Project
04-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Shallow on 86th and Greenfield did me right for my g/f on V-Day.

u_say_go
04-08-2009, 07:58 AM
I liked what I found at Jareds. Adam gave me his "budget" and I found my engagement ring and wedding band for that limit. I went to the one on Bluemound and they were super nice there.

you picked out you own engagement ring?

Nix
04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Kesslers. Couldn"t be more impressed or happier. :thumbsup

GTSLOW
04-08-2009, 09:42 AM
All our stuff came from Kays. 0% financing ftw

Nick
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM

Very romantic isn't it? :D

SLOWC5
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Harry Glinberg, on mayfair rd by the mall

jbiscuit
04-08-2009, 10:23 AM
KESSLERS all the way. Great service. Be prepared though....$1500 doesn't get you a whole lot of ring.

DirtyMax
04-08-2009, 10:23 AM

I don't see anything wrong with this at all...

When we knew the time was approaching to take the next step, my wife picked out 5 different ones. Then I chose the one I liked best a few months later and surprised her with it.

My logic... That way I didn't blow senseless amounts of money on something she'd hate for the rest of her life.

GTSLOW
04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Be prepared though....$1500 doesn't get you a whole lot of ring.

This is very true.

WickedSix
04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
My sister and her hubby used kesslers and have been very satisfied.

call me old fashioned but im of the 'guy should pick out the ring' mindset. Its a symbol of HIS love for her and the dedication which it proposes in marriage. Just think its a copout otherwise.

JC70SS
04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Barnes Jewelers in Pabst farms.

Yeah, $1500 was what the band for my old ladies was.....(oh that was my D1SC money):mad:

94greenbandit
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I went to Kesslers for my ring and well the store I bought my wifes at is now no longer

wrath
04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Kesslers isn't a real jewelry store. They're just a storefront (middlemen) for other people's stuff. Anything you can buy at Kesslers can be purchased via the internet. There's no reason to buy anything from them unless you like supporting 15 people standing around wishing their clothes had pockets so they could put their hands in them.

I found better deals at the Mom and Pop shops like Powers in Brookfield and whatnot. They can catalog order too... just like Kesslers.

Jared's or the Husar on Bluemound has more to offer than Kesslers. If you just want a diamond ring go buy one on the intarnet. You'll save boatloads.

domokun
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
bluenile.com :)

worked for me

shoooo32
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
I went top shelf on the engagement ring, designing it myself and having it made. Now it sits in a drawer. I Offset that cost by picking up our wedding bands on Amazon. About 70% off vs. jewelry store/retail price. Amazon was not sketchy at all and I was very pleased with the quality.

94greenbandit
04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I went top shelf on the engagement ring, designing it myself and having it made. Now it sits in a drawer.

:confused Why is it in a drawer? you no longer together

Sleeper Sierra
04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
i've been very satisfied with kesslers. great service. just give them your budget and they make it happen. I don't know what kind of warranty you get with a ring bought online. I am pretty sure online places dont offer free cleaning, resizing or full value of stone if you trade it in on another one.

shoooo32
04-08-2009, 01:56 PM
i've been very satisfied with kesslers. great service. just give them your budget and they make it happen. I don't know what kind of warranty you get with a ring bought online. I am pretty sure online places dont offer free cleaning, resizing or full value of stone if you trade it in on another one.

If your spending 10k by all means, go to someplace local that offers great service, cleanings, warranty, ect. however given what the OP wants to spend he can get a much better deal on the internet. Like I said, my ring was 70% off what a local jeweler was selling the exact same ring for.

Why is it in a drawer? you no longer together

We're still together. She wanted a light green emerald stone and apparently green doesn't match with most of her outfits, so she wears her band.

Holeshot
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I grave robbed Jeans Wedding set!:rolf

Yooformula
04-08-2009, 02:31 PM
I went top shelf on the engagement ring, designing it myself and having it made.

thats what we did but I was lucky to have a cousin that works in the diamond trade in manhattan so I hand picked my diamond at an actual exchange...now that is an eye opening/jaw dropping experience:wow too bad her ring got stolen from MY HOUSE!:fire

jbiscuit
04-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Regardless of how the process works, do what is right for you. I too selected a bare stone as well as picked out the setting/band. I have no idea why someone would just tell a girl their budget and let her go pick out the ring...sorry Michelle but that I just don't get. I brought my dad along for the selection process. This is a big deal not just a, "hey here's some money, go pick out what you like..." kind of thing.

Go where you feel comfortable and buy within your means. I also think financing/credit carding a ring is dumb. Who wants to make payments on a piece of jewelry for the next 2-3 years? Not me. If $1500 is your budget, make that work. Just be conscious of the fact that the stone will either be a hair on the yellow side (color) or its going to be really small. The price of gold is really high right now so you will be getting less diamond because of that.

michelle
04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm really not the type that wants a big, flashy ring. I wanted something simple that was similar to the ring I received when I graduated high school (again, I didn't want a typical graduation ring and I picked out a ring that was actually marketed as an engagement ring as well). I don't see anything wrong with picking out my own engagement ring since we did it together and went to a few different jewelry stores. Adam actually picked out this one when we were looking. And I am glad Adam didn't spend a crazy amount either. That's just not my style and I have no interest having a $10k ring on my finger. Just like I would rather have a nicer house then spend $20k on a wedding.

It's just a ring. The marriage is what should count, if you ask me.

Flicktitty
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM

that's kind of what i thought too...

i'll have to remember this thread... :shades

0TransAm0
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
KESSLERS all the way. Great service. Be prepared though....$1500 doesn't get you a whole lot of ring.

thats all the cash i got now... i may not purchase for a month or 2 so i may have a little more.. most of my money is going to the house.

wrath
04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I'd probably go to a smaller place and go catalog shopping. The place I mentioned earlier had no problem with us bringing in our own stones and catalog-ordered us a setting we liked.

If you're big into 3stone rings you can buy plain diamonds from Amazon. I think G-SI2 .25 carat diamonds are going for around $400/each and make good accent stones.

The retailers who offer "free cleanings" and "free this" and "full price tradeup" are all gimmicks. Chances are your insurance covers loss/theft/lost rock.

You can get a "free cleaning" at just about anywhere while you pretend to buy something else. Full price tradeup is a gimmick by the places that raped you on the initial purchase. "Our price is so low we don't have sales."

The traditional "3 months salary" for an engagement ring is kind of a bunch of bullshit for something that can be grown and isn't even rare and doesn't matter. That's like a new fawkin' car. I think $1500 is plenty to spend on an engagement ring. If not, you've either got too much bloody money or you need to find another female. It's different for something they wear every day like a band.

pw_cc_runner
04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
If she is really worth loving, she'll be thrilled with one of these

http://brianbergerondesigns.com./purchaseindex.html

:thumbsup

Korndogg
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I got this one. She likes it, so I'm happy lol. I got it for less than $1500 and its a 1.05 carat total.

http://www.kay.com/images/products/9903/990390306_MV_LG.jpg

http://www.kay.com/images/products/9903/990390306_SV_LG.jpg

Voodoo Chick
04-08-2009, 06:49 PM
^^That one is really nice....I have heard good things about Kesslers, also.

Anakonda69
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
kesslers gets my vote. i spent 1700 on a nice solitaire stone fitting for the engagement ring i got my wife.

jbiscuit
04-08-2009, 08:00 PM
kessler 81 FTW!

CitrusX
04-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I used Jared's on Bluemound for my wife's rings. Very nice salespeople, very nice selection.
It's why I'm getting the rings back in the divorce.

Philly-O
04-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Harry Glinberg, on mayfair rd by the mall

x2 harry and his staff were great to work with. harry is a customer of ours, so he gave me a great deal.

u_say_go
04-09-2009, 08:41 AM
thats all the cash i got now... i may not purchase for a month or 2 so i may have a little more.. most of my money is going to the house.

don't stress about the ring. if she's a good girl (which i'm sure she is) she'll love ANY ring you pick out, regardless of the price.

PonyKiller87
04-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I still have a Kessler ring from my ex that I would like to get rid of, I really don't need store credit. Warrenty is fully transferable... PM me if your interested.

Ricky Bobby
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I got this one. She likes it, so I'm happy lol. I got it for less than $1500 and its a 1.05 carat total.

this one came from kays down in pleasant prarie on hwy50 talk to ryan hes the manager tell him tony sent ya he will take real good care of u, he took care of mark wont tell what kind o deal was made but he saved alot ;)

0TransAm0
04-09-2009, 01:19 PM

thats about what im looking for.. i like it. now i just gotta get off my lazy ass and go to the store....