PDA

View Full Version : coolingmist water injection for turbo application

awsomeears
04-07-2009, 08:26 PM
https://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=STMClear

Whats your thought on this product ?

I was bored last night and started to read up on random turbo shit, found some DIY kits and then coolingmist had good reviews.

If I can lower my EGT temps, have less risk of detonation and make a few extra HP by getting this kit I'm game.

srt4eh
04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
I like these kits.....I know a lot of srt guys are using these for methanol injection...tempting. They also have a basic trunk mount kit on ebay for like $170 I believe

DurtyKurty
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I looked at a lot of different setups. I went with the AEM unit. I really liked the pump controller.

awsomeears
04-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I like these kits.....I know a lot of srt guys are using these for methanol injection...tempting. They also have a basic trunk mount kit on ebay for like $170 I believe

cooingmist has a deal for $199 because its a scratch n' dent sale, but who cares if the plastic is scratched that bitch is in the trunk.

srt4eh
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
i'm tempted to do this...looks like a deal....

awsomeears
04-08-2009, 12:34 AM
i'm tempted to do this...looks like a deal....

The only thing I read that people complained about is that the check valve is at the tank, and that it would slowly drip and bog the car down while driving normal.

Few threads I read people just added a fitting and placed it near the TB or IC pipe and it worked perfect.

CobaltSSTuner
04-08-2009, 12:47 AM
I know that this is probably not a place for a "cobalt" guy, but Water/meth injection is huge in the cobalt world. Its basically a must for higher boost applications. It allows us to advance our timing and run a bit leaner safely.

I wouldn't reccomend running straight water, instead i'd buy the water/meth pre-mixes, or some people mix their own. I've even seen guys use winshield washer fluid (i dont like the idea of spraying winshield washer fluid in my motor, but to each their own lol)

One tip, when you mount it, make sure you mount it away from the maf sensor (after it).

if you guys have any other questions about it feel free to ask. I can set you up with a bunch of different links to different kits and options if your serious.

awsomeears
04-08-2009, 12:55 AM
I know that this is probably not a place for a "cobalt" guy, but Water/meth injection is huge in the cobalt world. Its basically a must for higher boost applications. It allows us to advance our timing and run a bit leaner safely.

I wouldn't reccomend running straight water, instead i'd buy the water/meth pre-mixes, or some people mix their own. I've even seen guys use winshield washer fluid (i dont like the idea of spraying winshield washer fluid in my motor, but to each their own lol)

One tip, when you mount it, make sure you mount it away from the maf sensor (after it).

if you guys have any other questions about it feel free to ask. I can set you up with a bunch of different links to different kits and options if your serious.

Cobalts, Vw's, Ugos, neons hell I don't care what you drive, as long as your not a Crack head your cool with me :rolf

Post up the links :thumbsup

srt4eh
04-08-2009, 03:00 AM
The only thing I read that people complained about is that the check valve is at the tank, and that it would slowly drip and bog the car down while driving normal.

Few threads I read people just added a fitting and placed it near the TB or IC pipe and it worked perfect.

interesting....:thumbsup

BigSnailBuick
04-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I went with Razors Alky Control on the buick...makes you go from 17lbs with a little knock to 25lbs with zero knock....those kits are a must for turbo cars..it helps soo much:headbang

jakedrew
04-08-2009, 07:45 PM
i ran a coolingmist kit on my supercharged cavalier z24 ( yes... a cavalier) a few years back.

I loved it. I got the basic kit where it had a check vavle instead of a solonoid. I cant see why someone would mount a check vavle back by the tank. It says in the directions to mount it as close as you can to the injector.

It is a pretty simple install. I had my tank in the trunk, and the pump too right behind the back seat. then ran the line to the check vavle and then to the injector. Wiring is simple. and taping into a boost source for the switch.

I added a light so when the system kicks on a L.E.D light lite up next to my boost guage. it said how to on his site.

I also used some quick connect fittings, where you push the hose into it, and then push the fitting and pull and the hose comes off.

The injector i upgraded to a m4. Them can be had for half the price at www.mcmastercarr.com (http://www.mcmastercarr.com) i think that is the site. But search " brass misting nozzles or injectors.

your local hardware store carries some parts too in the plumbing/brass fitting aisle. I put a 90 degree elbow on the injector so it sprayed straight into the s/c.

For a mixture i ran DISTILLED WATER (make sure you use that) and that yellow bottle HEET stuff(99% methonal).

Good luck, you will love the stuff.

CobaltSSTuner
04-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Water/Meth Injection :)

Basic info for those that aren't familiar with it.

Methanol is an alcohol. The word "Alcohol" is a generic term. There are many different types of alcohols available such as methanol, ethanol, isopropyl, etc.

Methanol is the preferred alcohol to use. Windshield wiper fluid rated for -32 degree below zero contains between 35-38% methanol depending on the brand. This is an affordable and easily accessible fluid for most and works great. If you add one bottle of HEET (12 oz. of 98.% pure methanol) to one gallon it will increase the methanol content by 10% giving you roughly a 50/50 miz of water and methanol.

We recommend a mix between 50/50 to 25/75 water methanol. We've made or best horsepower gains using a 25/75 water methanol mix.

When you inject water/alcohol the alcohol portion provides instant cooling (as it quickly evaporates), added fuel, increased octane (when used with pump gas) and burns as part of the combustion process while reducing combustion temperatures and EGT‘s. It should be noted that alcohol has a much lower latent heat of vaporization then water therefore it begins to evaporate instantly when injected into a hot air charge.

Water on the other hand has a very high latent heat of vaporization.

Definition of Latent Heat Of Vaporization: “latent heat” is the amount of energy in the form of heat released or absorbed by a substance during a change of phase. (i.e. solid, liquid, or gas), - also called a phase transition.

The energy (heat) required to turn water into a steam (to begin evaporating) is substantially higher then that of alcohol. When atomized properly water alone works well at cooling air charge temperatures. However, when compared to alcohol, testing has shown water does not have as great of a cooling effect on the air charge temperatures as does alcohol. When water does evaporate it turns to steam. This steam stabilizes and slows the combustion process acting as a anti-detonate (suppressing detonation) essentially making it an effective octane enhancer.

Together, water alcohol injection cools the intake air charge temperatures, reduces combustion chamber temperatures, thus cooling and protecting the top of the pistons and the top ring as well as lowering EGT's and cooling the exhaust valves.

My personal favorite kit is the AIS kit

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/Fender-Mount-Kits/c22/index.html

Its only a fender mount, so if you want something bigger, get a trunk mount. With the fender mounts, depending on the boost activation setting, you probably would have to refill it every 3 days on average.

trunk kit

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/p101/Stage-1-Adjust.-Boost-Activated-Trunk-Mount-Water-Methanol/Alcohol/product_info.html

if you want to do a progressive controller, I would go with the devils own kit. Alot better price for the progressive kit. Only thing is you are going to need to get a tank, either fender or trunk.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/water-injection-kits-1/dodge-15/srt-4-stage-2-22.html?osCsid=6479a579d30d22746a1da08fb2bee24c

As for pre-mixtures I like the devils own Brew

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/premixed-methanol-44/devilsown-brew-125.html?osCsid=6479a579d30d22746a1da08fb2bee24c

I just tried to throw out some basics, if you have any questions, feel free to ask, i'll answer them to the best of my ability.