PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Power Issue.

DurtyKurty
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I am working on a no post/no start/totally dead Dell Latitude C510/C610 notebook. I am suspecting the power supply. Spec on the output of the power supply is 20 volts DC, but it only measures 17.5 volts. Is this enough to cause a no start on the notebook?

Does anyone have a power supply for this style notebook I could try?

Myles
04-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Hmm, the battery i take it doesnt hold a charge? did you try taking the battery out and trying to turn on the laptop? I dont ever recall that being much of an issue (mainly cause i never came across this before lol) but try the battery thing, if not check radio shack out for a cord.

DurtyKurty
04-07-2009, 03:11 PM
The battery is junk, but I tried with and without the battery.

A little back story here from a year ago....I have another laptop that runs off a 15volt power supply and I wanted to use it in the car. So I figured that a cars 12 volt system is typically around 13 volts and that would be close enough to power this other laptop. Nope. It wouldn't work unless it was 15 volts. 13volts wasn't close enough. That's why I have a hunch that the 17 volts isn't enough for this notebook that specs 20 volts. But, I need to confirm it before I spend any money on this thing. I would rig up a universal power supply, but this stupid dell had a proprietary plug on it.

wikked
04-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Could be the solder from the DC jack has come loose from the mobo.

As far as adapters, I have the round female style AC, and the 3-hole AC, but I'm in Caledonia.

I'm guessing you need the 3-hole one?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tsT2oYI9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

DurtyKurty
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
A loose jack was the first thing I looked for.

Yeah, I need the 3 hole one. Caledonia, as in up by Appleton? Dang.... Could you do me a favor and measure the output voltage at the connector and tell me if it's a true 20 volts?

Waver
04-07-2009, 04:49 PM
anything less than what is called for wont work......I have seen this happen when I worked at officemax, often times going through 6 different power plugs till we got the right one because the customer didnt know what they had

Irish
04-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Caledonia is just north of Racine