PDA

View Full Version : GM Said to Speed Bankruptcy Plans

Holeshot
04-06-2009, 08:54 PM
GM Said to Speed Bankruptcy Plans as Board Crafts Savings Goals
With nine weekends left before the sixty day clock expires, which weekend will they file BK?

April 6 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp. is speeding up preparations for a possible bankruptcy filing even as directors seek deeper savings this week to avoid that outcome, people familiar with the plans said.

The bankruptcy readiness focuses on forming a new company from GM’s best assets if necessary, said the people, who asked not to be named because the matter is private. The cost-cut discussions center on how to go beyond GM’s proposal to slash debt by 46 percent and shed 47,000 jobs in 2009, and will include talks with Treasury officials, the people said.

The moves are a response to President Barack Obama’s March 30 rejection of GM’s bid to keep $13.4 billion in federal loans. With bondholders and the United Auto Workers balking at concessions, a push for more savings makes bankruptcy more “probable,” Chief Executive Officer Fritz Henderson has said.

GM’s board met today and yesterday, and more discussions are planned inside GM and with the Obama administration, the people said. Obama gave the biggest U.S. automaker 60 days to restructure, without specifying what steps were needed to stem $82 billion in losses since 2004.

Planning for a court filing was ratcheted up in February as a precaution against a defeat for GM’s bid to keep its U.S. loans, the people said. Detroit-based GM said it prefers to restructure outside bankruptcy court.

GM’s preparations include looking at a so-called 363 sale, a reference to a section of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy code that would help create a new automaker from the assets and brands of GM, boosting the company’s survival chances, the people said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...0NU&refer=home

xwing
04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
It's about time...
They NEED to go bankrupt to get out from under costs wiping them out. It isn't 1969 anymore, GM is not riding high making megadollars anymore to support all the bells whistles and benefits they could support way back when.
Hello, reality calling...the remora tries to keep sucking off the carcass of the shark, even when it's dead!

They need to strike a bankruptcy deal where: from TOP BRASS all the way to UAW line workers, they all make EXACTLY whatever Toyota pays THEIR people in Texas, Mississippi, Kentucky etc. NO management complaining about lower perks/pay, NO UAW workers complaining about lower benefits/pay or whatever...just DO it and SHUT UP!

Toyota does it in the USA and they...SUCCEED. What a concept :)

Karps TA
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I read an editorial on cnn today about the negative to them declaring bankruptcy. That people don't like buying things, especially big ticket items, from companies that are bankrupt. Even if the govt is backing the warranty - which actually scares me more. I do agree it would make me a little hesitant.

So by declaring bankruptcy they may hurt themselves and their brands even more so.

Holeshot
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
So by declaring bankruptcy they may hurt themselves and their brands even more so.

How much more can they really Phuck them self's.

Prince Valiant
04-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Here's the "new" deal...Obama wants them to declare bankruptcy...they essentially have a pre-packaged deal already in the works.

They'll offer a pre-packaged "surgical" bankruptcy that will allow them to renegotiate their cost to suppliers, with their stock and bondholders, etc...but do you really think that a democratic president, one who himself, and all his cronies in congress are really going to see the unions dramatically alter their deal or compensation?

If you believe so, I know an african prince in exile in desperate need of your help.

Although they can't, GM should just declare bankrupcy unilaterally. No pre-packaged political crap...do it, and do it the right way.

Holeshot
04-06-2009, 10:10 PM
The only way any of them will survive is with out government help and chapter 13. A clean break from the UAW is the only saving grace.

VroomPshhTsi
04-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Here's the "new" deal...Obama wants them to declare bankruptcy...they essentially have a pre-packaged deal already in the works.

Didn't Bush offer this during his last days in office?

xFullThrottlex
04-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Didn't Bush offer this during his last days in office?

The Bush administration approved $17 billion in federal funds to help GM and Chrysler survive. With this they made both companies submit plans about restructiuring that the Obama administration has reviewed:banana1:

Exitspeed
04-07-2009, 08:18 AM
I read an editorial on cnn today about the negative to them declaring bankruptcy. That people don't like buying things, especially big ticket items, from companies that are bankrupt. Even if the govt is backing the warranty - which actually scares me more. I do agree it would make me a little hesitant.

For the general public I believe this is true. Because the general public chooses not to educate themselves before car purchases.

I'd really like to buy a GM car (G8 GXP) after this is all said and done to show my support.

0TransAm0
04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
so if they do claim bankrupcy do all the gm retireries loose thier pension?

Prince Valiant
04-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Didn't Bush offer this during his last days in office?No...he extended them a "lifeline" to keep them going so that the Obama administration would be able to deal with the two.

Certainly, if Bush had been the one who offered this deal, it certainly wouldn't have been a deal that will -if, and perhaps when bankruptcy is declared- treat the union with kiddie gloves.

Don't get me wrong...the union has agreed to concessions (albeit, in the future); and they'll no doubt have more sacrifices yet to come if GM declares bankruptcy. However, the sacrifices and concessions they'll end up with won't be nearly as bad as they could end up with in a normal bankruptcy.

PureSound15
04-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Has anyone found any information about the actual bankrupcy deal? I'm a bit curious as to what will happen to all of the small businesses that have extended credit to GM - will those debts be cleared or will there be a ceiling (i.e. GM must repay 80% of debt to companies who rely on GM for X% of their business).

In general - how is GMs failure going to make/break all of the "little guys"

DirtyMax
04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I still want to know where the logic lies that if GM bails on all these people (suppliers, retirees, etc.) why I can not tell them to pound sand with respect to my GMAC loan?!?!? :durr

Al
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
If obama is a strong supporter of unions, wouldn't bankruptcy and UAW ties go against this?