PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

flyin_blue_egg
04-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I was thinking about hooking my desktop (which hasn't been used in over a year) up to my LCD TV so I could watch MLB games on it. I got everthing hooked up, but the damn thing won't turn on. Theres a little green light next to where you plug the power cord in and it blinks when I plug it in and keeps blinking for a few minuets after i unplug it. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Its an HP desktop from around 2004 or 2005

British_Ben
04-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Is it your TV or your computer that won't turn on?

To me it sounds like you are talking about your computer not turning on. That LED on the back of the computer near the power cord plug should be solid green when you turn the computer on, if I recall correctly. This is an HP only thing. If it's flashing, it most likely means the the power supply died and you need a new one. They are not outrageously expensive or hard to install.

This seems pretty common: http://www.google.com/search?q=hp+blinking+light+power+supply&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

BoosTT
04-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Do you hear a fan or anything? It does sound like your p.s. is dead. You can usually find used power supplys dirt cheap.

flyin_blue_egg
04-05-2009, 04:15 PM
no fan, no nothing.....i didn't think i was going to be able to just plug it in and it work as it has been in the closet for atleast a year and a 1/2

i will look at getting a power supply and see what happens

ND4SPD
04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds like the PSU to me as well... but that doesn't mean there isn't something else fried (which sometimes happens when power supplies go bad).