PDA

View Full Version : Any of you see the cruising article in Car and Driver?

9C1 Driver
03-08-2004, 08:37 PM
It's on page 115 of the April issue.. It discusses in detail the history of the laws of cruising, and cites many examples of cruising laws being challenged and upheld, even here in West Bend and West Allis.

It's a good read, but not very encouraging about any chances of getting the laws overturned.

TransAm12sec
03-11-2004, 09:45 PM
I just read it. I want to do something about it, but I have little to no power.

Poncho
03-11-2004, 09:48 PM
haha..... cruising in west bend. OK I'll admit I do it too. from time to time, it's a ego booster to easily demolish what ever the highschool kids are cruising in. it'll be nice to harass the faster cars out there this year, since I missed out on all that in the past. (got the car in sept.)

Brian98GTP
03-11-2004, 10:02 PM
What car are you gonna harass with???

Syclone0044
03-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Yeah, keep everyone from cruising so they can just do drugs and drink at partys like most people our age and then driving home drunk instead? :confused

I see a lot of activities where the older people say "Its great to see the enthusiastic about an activity to occupy their time instead of doing drugs or drinking", but I wonder why cruising doesn't get that same designation. :confused

Prince Valiant
03-11-2004, 10:50 PM
My only thing is that all the vices of cruising already has laws restricting it, IE fast driving/slow driving, inattentive driving, reckless driving, loud music, loitering, etc....

...the municipalities take a legal, safe activity if you are doing none of the above, and arbitrarily renders illegal.

Poncho
03-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Brian98GTP
What car are you gonna harass with???

well honestly, the rice, w/ the blazer.

i just remember this '77ish Camaro barking the tires everywhere last year, so I'd like to get up against him.

I will be smart and watch out if I see you or Tommy. Can't touch him or you. Maybe by fall I can keep up w/ your car.

Brian98GTP
03-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Youre thinking Im not gonna add anything between now and then.......:devil

Brian98GTP
03-11-2004, 11:37 PM
........and that 77ish Camaro runs like absolute CRAP!!

Hey Tom, what did that guy run when he went to the track with us that one time?? high 14's or even 15's?? 16's even????

Its that Brown one...I cant remember his name....

Last summer, I was next to him after pulling out of BK, and we both stomped on it from about 30 mph..... I RAN away from him immediately, and at the same time, I spilled my Large cup of MT. DEW all over the inside of my car !!!:fire

You could probably take that car in Stock Form....:rolleyes:

Poncho
03-12-2004, 01:32 AM
damn forgot about that more mods thing :devil but then again,
maybe I am taking into account the fact that you're car is over half a second ahead (My PB and your PB likely don't represent our cars capabilities as they sit right now) damn this club and fast ass cars.
I need to go hang out @ thirdgen.org when 14's are respectable, 13's are pretty fast, 12's are damn fast, and anything quicker isn't a daily driver, :3gears: ahhh the f-body days.
brew city definately has alot of quick iron around here.
I already know from when I cruised around in the GP that looked quick, my '94 GP days.
the reason I wanna beat that camaro, is cuz he would torment me w/ the '94. I know he'll remember me.:wow

Brian98GTP
03-12-2004, 03:09 AM
Hell,... he'll probably think youre me...

Why did you have to get a car JUST like mine...LOL

I buy 1 of 1500 cars made, and you gotta get the SAME KIND !!??
Aaaaahhhhhh!!:durr

Oh well.... Im doing what I can to make our cars look as different as possible, yet still COOL...:shades

It may look VERY different to US, but to people that dont notice detailed things, like me being debadged, and having the CHROME 5 spokes, tint all around, 3 guage pods, taillight emblems, blue reflectives, tinted tails, dual / dual tips, Street Scene Grills,and having a MUCH Louder Exhaust....bla bla bla, they think it looks the same....ya know?
:bling

Poncho
03-12-2004, 08:01 AM
then there's mine, still badged, on stock wheels now, maybe on 077s by summer, tinted back 3, going to tint the front two, no pods, no taillight emblems (ordered), blue reflectives out back, silver up front (and supercharged emblem) single tips, VT Grilles, and quieter (will remedy that w/ the flowmasters that've been sitting on my shelf since last year). the few things I have that you don't are the GTX Spoiler, and mine's lower.

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/detail.asp?intOwnerID=9024.

I don't think i'm doing too bad for as long as I've had it.
The only GP I ever wanted to own was either a '98 or a '00 Pace Car.

Otherwise I still like my f-bodies. :cool2:

either way, stupid people will think we have the same car. :nutkick

Al
03-12-2004, 08:37 AM
I think the problem with cruising, from the "locals" perspective, is the crowded streets, racing, and noise.

Cruising in West Bend... I cruise here in Cedarburg. The best part is at Washington and Columbia. There are big stone buildings on all sides. Just give your car a little gas....
But it is a blind corner there, and one of the usual 3 patrols might be lurking there.

animal
03-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Brian98GTP
It may look VERY different to US, but to people that dont notice detailed things, like me being debadged, and having the CHROME 5 spokes, tint all around, 3 guage pods, taillight emblems, blue reflectives, tinted tails, dual / dual tips, Street Scene Grills,and having a MUCH Louder Exhaust....bla bla bla, they think it looks the same....ya know?
:bling

Now if we didn't know what kind of car you have, that'd sound frighteningly like something found on a ricer forum :)

Cruising in west bend lol. It was a nice alternative when I didn't feel like going down to 'stalllis. Kinda funny having all the kiddies watch me drive on by, downtown by the fountain. They just kinda stand there and stare :D

On the bright side, west bend cops don't really seem to care about tint, but it's no hwy100 obviously.

Brian98GTP
03-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Now if we didn't know what kind of car you have, that'd sound frighteningly like something found on a ricer forum

Holy Crap! Youre right!!:( :( :(

I havent cruised West Bend for a LOOONNNNNNG time.... it just isnt fun.....:confused

There's only 2 stoplights you COULD race at, and theres usually cops sitting by them.....Well, the one is right in FRONT of the cop shop......:rolleyes:

then there's mine, still badged, on stock wheels now, maybe on 077s by summer, tinted back 3, going to tint the front two, no pods, no taillight emblems (ordered) , blue reflectives out back, silver up front (and supercharged emblem) single tips, VT Grilles, and quieter (will remedy that w/ the flowmasters that've been sitting on my shelf since last year). the few things I have that you don't are the GTX Spoiler, and mine's lower.

They're on ORDER?? :rolleyes:
Dont you want your GP to look unique??

And no, I dont mean to come across as an A$$hole either....

Poncho
03-12-2004, 01:52 PM
they aren't your standard GTP emblems that everyone else gets.
:tomato
i told em what I want, waiting for a total to send. said it wouldn't be a problem to create what I want tho.

Brian98GTP
03-12-2004, 03:36 PM
And that would beeee......................???

Poncho
03-12-2004, 04:20 PM
on the left tail i wanted either

official pace car
grand prix - like in my sig, where the G and P is larger
Or even just GP (wouldn't cost anymore. -- I had decals like that on my '94. I loved em like that, just "GP"i

And on the right taillight 1321/1500.

not a big deal, but I think it might be a good touch.
you know what I mean, I like the look and idea, but I don't like having another cookie cutter look grand prix. And besides, i'm not a real big fan of just "GTP" on both taillights.

but I gotta admit, what the aftermarket has for appearance, makes these cars look damn good.

i really gotta see your car, I haven't seen it in like a year, and it was damn beautiful then.

sorry if I'm doing similar mods, but if I had a '00 pace car I'd do the same, and actually I'm looking for a '00 Pace Car. Hopefully next fall, after the wedding debt will be behind me. Now if I could only decide who gets which car then?? :devil

Brian98GTP
03-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Aaahhhh!!....Dont say that!!

Ive been looking for a '00 Pace Car for awhile now...

GTMike from WICGP found me a couple, but too many miles on them...

Grrrrrr...I guess I'll just have to buy something else....
Maybe I'll get a Mini Cooper S...:3gears:

I hear its HELL to do a pulley swap on one of those though...haha

EDIT: Sorry for the thread hi-jack....:rolleyes:

DocDave
03-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Back to the topic....
Cruiser 4 Life here. Legal or not they with never stop it. Making it illegal just keeps the everyday Jo Shmoes away, but the real crusing will never stop. This is America! I may not be the wild cruiser I once was, but the fact is there is nothing illegal about driving up and down a stretch of road! The law is unconstitutional, It's another example of a blanket law to mask a problem instead of fixing it. Drugs, guns, wreckless driving, all deserve punishment but to punish the folks for being there enjoying the great american pass time of cruising in your car, thats just plain wrong. Have always been against the law and always will. Like I said, Cruiser 4 life here!
:S:
http://www.brewcitystreetmachines.com/grfx/merchand.jpg (http://www.cafeshops.com/bcsm)

Brian98GTP
03-12-2004, 11:15 PM
I agree... They will never TRULY stop it,... only piss us off...:devil

Theyre trying to stop everything associated with cruising...i.e, Loud Stereos, street racing, erratic driving...etc...

Its a National Past-time!!
Our Parents cruised...
Im sure some of us here were conceived due to cruising.....:Hump :goof

Fu(k tha Po-lice !! :flipoff:

Lash
03-12-2004, 11:53 PM
hmmmm.....

anybody know where I can get a Daytona edition GTP? I think I want one. :goof

lol@Brian... too funny :D

Brian98GTP
03-13-2004, 01:39 AM
Hahaha...
Im glad I could entertain you...:goof

Say..........did you get your drawings for night class done...?

I got mine finished...:banana

:devil

Lash
03-13-2004, 01:42 AM
^ nah.... I'll just copy yours :goof

Some people actually have to work during the day. :nutkick

I'll probably do them on sunday...or something.

PB86MCSS
03-13-2004, 07:59 PM
The idea of cruising I agree with and there is nothing wrong with, but reality of HWY 100 is more than half the people out there are complete morons. Idiotic driving, annoying other people, etc. I wish I was cruising more before the last few years...from what I've heard it was somewhat safer and less dumbasses. ;).

IMO there should be no rules or laws against cruising and it is unconstitutional, but also I must admit, if I was a cop I would be pulling ALOT of cars over for just being dumb :flamet .

Rocket Power
03-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by PB86MCSS
I wish I was cruising more before the last few years...from what I've heard it was somewhat safer and less dumbasses. ;).

Yep the late 80's were the shiznit:rockwoot: