PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Buy Gas From Exxon Or Mobil

TransAm12sec
03-08-2004, 06:36 PM
I got this in an e-mail.

Sounds like this could be a good idea.... 2004 GASOLINE PRICES
----- I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.
Please read it and join with us. By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.97 for regular unleaded in my town Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace.... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON’T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don’t wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)…. and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

TransAm12sec
03-08-2004, 06:37 PM
And the rest of it

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.
(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM
DOWN.

SMS 1
03-08-2004, 06:46 PM
I can do that. I don't usually like buying gas from there anyway:goof

MoreTorque
03-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Heres another discussion on the same chain letter:

http://www.tdr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95724

Around here, Mobil always ran best in my Z so I filled up there.

For diesel now I usually go to Speedway as they have the cleanest pumps.

BAD LS1
03-08-2004, 07:21 PM
They usually got Fu-cking Swill for gas anyhow....

I only run Amoco but they are pretty large too...

BadAzzGTA89
03-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Is citgo bad?????

88camaro
03-08-2004, 08:40 PM
i go to who ever is cheap and right now thats speedway or who ever will accept my(a lot of the gas station around here with only accept local checks and mines isnt local.

Knyghtmare
03-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Tommy goes to the newer... brighter... BP! hahah Same great Amaco fuels, but in a more friendly enviroment! haha

Neal Steffek
03-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Amaco, Mobile, BP= same company.

MoreTorque
03-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Neal Steffek
Amaco, Mobile, BP= same company.

Im pretty sure Exxon/Mobil is not the same company as BP/Amaco...

88camaro
03-08-2004, 11:37 PM
If regular gas is gunna hit $3.00 a gallon. I wonder how much for racing fuel if its already at $4.00 (i think).

Syclone0044
03-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Yeah I remember a point last year or the year before it was almost economical to buy 100 Octane unleaded compared to 93 premium LOL (Race gas prices don't really fluctuate)

animal
03-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Snopes article describing why you shouldn't participate:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm

Take it for what it's worth anyways.

A B4C Z
03-09-2004, 11:08 AM
BP/Amaco ONLY! Even my winter beater only gets it. Its good gas. CITCO SUCKS A$$. My dad has a 72 nova and runs like crap with citco from a few stations around here. Just makes me stay away.

Syclone0044
03-09-2004, 11:24 AM
I believe all gas available at the pumps in the US is generally of high quality.. The only difference I've seen is the crap 91 octane gas in California, and the awesome non-reformulated gas available in Fond Du Lac area, gives an instant significant increase in gas mileage.

MoreTorque
03-09-2004, 11:43 AM
I'd agree with Syclone about the good gas in general. As you buy from a station that has a lot of traffic, you should be fine.

US Diesel on the other hand sucks ass.

PB86MCSS
03-09-2004, 11:45 AM
I also think most gas as long as its not from some generic place is pretty much all good. I go Citgo for myself. Got gas from Clark but was not happy, seemed my mileage went down. I know that could be totally inaccurate though. I seriously doubt gas will get even close to 3.00 per gallon, just a large loud number to get peoples attention in their effort. I do hate the collusion of oil companies though to raise prices and f-us over constantly. :fire

When I am out of town I try and take advantage of using the good gas not the reformulated junk. Closest for me is off 43 in East Troy. :headbang

Prince Valiant
03-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I blame the EPA and the dozens of blends of reformulated gas (both winter and summer blends) more than I do the oil companies for skyrocketing gas prices...

animal
03-09-2004, 11:59 AM
I only go where I can get 93. Since it's the same price I figure I might as well never put 92 in unless i have to. I take Amoco/bp , citgo, and shell in that order.

SlowStee
03-09-2004, 07:17 PM
i only fill up with 93 octane, which is usually BP...

Knyghtmare
03-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Kinda funny that we went to war and opened up all these middle east oil fields and the price is just getting higher. Smells like GW and his buddies were just trying to make sure they get richer, by using the government and our military for their own personal gain. Assures that he still has a business to go back to once he is out of office.

If this has any truth to it I hope 9/11 wasnt a part of it.

lotsals1
03-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Knyghtmare
Kinda funny that we went to war and opened up all these middle east oil fields and the price is just getting higher. Smells like GW and his buddies were just trying to make sure they get richer, by using the government and our military for their own personal gain. Assures that he still has a business to go back to once he is out of office.

If this has any truth to it I hope 9/11 wasnt a part of it. Yah well when your family has everything vested in oil like Bush you go to war to drive everything up--his father did the same damn thing --for the same damn reasons-and we are now paying the cost to send thousands of troops --and thousands of planes helicopters and tanks ect--weapons of mass destruction my azz "its called makeing my family billionairs and watching the rest of us suffer" whoever voted for bush take a bow
while we all bend overhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/d0/intercourse.gif

Prince Valiant
03-09-2004, 08:59 PM
:rolleyes:

Rocket Power
03-09-2004, 09:02 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PB86MCSS
03-09-2004, 09:42 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good lord I can't imagine if Gore was president these last few years :eek:

Anyone who makes the *oil for war* statement makes me want to punch them in the face. :flamet

I think getting Saddam out was a wee bit more important than any benefit of oil...which there is no proof of.

SlowStee
03-09-2004, 10:11 PM
oops i just bought gas at mobile :chair:

SMS 1
03-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by lotsals1
Yah well when your family has everything vested in oil like Bush you go to war to drive everything up--his father did the same damn thing --for the same damn reasons-and we are now paying the cost to send thousands of troops --and thousands of planes helicopters and tanks ect--weapons of mass destruction my azz "its called makeing my family billionairs and watching the rest of us suffer" whoever voted for bush take a bow
while we all bend overhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/d0/intercourse.gif

I can't believe the amount of ignorance in this world. It is a damn shame what public education is doing to our society. If thats what you think thats fine. It is a free country after all, and let's not forget why. So now you can correct all of the "problems" created by GHB and GWB and Haliburton blah, blah, blah in the election and vote for the "war hero". I don't want to hear a peep from people like you though when he makes an ass of the US traveling around the world bending over and taking it up the ass from every dicatator in world and calling it an appology. Then lets see how high your taxes are and how many more 9-11's we have here becase the world see's how week and inept we have truly become.

:S:

SMS 1
03-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by PB86MCSS

Anyone who makes the *oil for war* statement makes me want to punch them in the face. :flamet

I think getting Saddam out was a wee bit more important than any benefit of oil...which there is no proof of.

:wstupid

If Gore were the pres he would have invited Bin Laden to the whitehouse for some dolphin safe tuna and a ride around the city in a solar powered car or something and then told him the best targets to hit next time.

OK maybe I am just pissed.

Knyghtmare
03-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Hey I never said I was saying there was any truth to it. I also never said doing what we did in removing Saddam and our fight agaisnt terrorism was a bad thing. I have backed up everything this country has ever done. Bah, I dont need to go into my beliefs lol. I was just throwing around the idea, that these prices are rediculous. I was throwing around the idea of if its possibly true. I wasnt even talking about that war as doing away with terrorism. I was just saying that all these oil fields that we took control of and prices still go up? Didnt Bush say something about "opening up the spigot" before he went into office? There is no reason for the prices to ever go up, especially not now. Especially since our President just happens to be one of the biggest Oil tycoons the world. I am just saying that there is something more to this gas prices crap than we are seeing. Honestly.

Hell and they think that pulling us over and giving us cruising tickets is gonna stop us from hitting HWY. We wont be able to afford to cruise eventually.

SMS 1
03-09-2004, 11:45 PM
True that the prices are nutz, and ya we did open up an assload of oil, but OPEC cutting production every other week is creating a false value is not helping. Plus since we live in wonderful Wisconsin and refuse to elect a govenor that will change the gas tax lwas in this state you can look forward to yet another automatic increase April 1, 2004. I can't stand madison :flipoff2:

PB86MCSS
03-09-2004, 11:50 PM
I just don't believe Bush is trying to keep prices up :rolleyes: . I truly think hes doing what he can to keep them down. He knows higher oil prices hurt the economy like many of us see and he certainly doesn't want that ;) . Think about it. That alone should help dispell people from thinking he wants to keep them up :rolleyes: .

Liberals suck :flipoff: (not calling anyone that just wanted to vent). :D

Thanks to OPEC and oil companies colluding, the oil prices are up and will stay up, JMHO.

Knyghtmare
03-10-2004, 12:00 AM
No matter whats going on, something definatly needs to be done. We are the people. We are America, we are this world. We should have a strong voice in this and we dont. Its very frustrating. :S:

Prince Valiant
03-10-2004, 12:08 AM
For one, prices are lower now than they were 4 years ago...at this time 4 years ago, most places were over 2.10 a gallon.

Secondly why is the price going up? Simple...SUPPLY and demand (with the noted emphasis on supply :D )

The problem isn't that demand has gone up dramatically as our gas needs haven't changed that much...but our supply has gone very very low. Why? Because our markets...and many markets around the US are switching from winter blend reformulated gas to summer blend. As we run the stocks low on one gas before the switch, price always shoots up. This is an artificial decrease in supply that is created by the oil companies...not because this is how they chose to do it, but because how the EPA mandates that they do it.

Of course, the problem is made worse because each magor city/area has "tailored" reformulated gas, IE LA is different from chicago/milwuakee, or NY, or boston...etc. So you've created mini markets in which the supply is much more difficult to manage thourghout the US as it is forbiden to wholesale St. loius gas to milwaukee stations. Again though, this artifically supresses supply...and allows the market forces to drive prices up.

What kills me, is that it is not known how great an effect reformulated gas has on the air. We know in lab conditions it burns cleaner...but we also know that it burns with less BTU's meaning it takes more gas to get the same level of performance from a vehicle and mileage goes down. I remember one DNR official who claimed that since we've switched to RFG, air quality has improved XX%....the problem is that statements may demonstrate a corelation, but not causation. Of course I would contend that the cause is just far more cleaner burning cars are produced today vs 15 years ago.

It is my contention that we shouldn't run RFG anywhere in the US. Gas will be cheaper to produce, ship, and there will be no summer/winter switches that artifically drives up prices. Again, this is the unelected EPA lifer bueracrats that I place most of the blame on for this.

Of course, one of bush's issues when he ran was "opening up the spigot..." so that we could drive down the price of oil and reduce our dependance on OPEC. But recall the outrage created when they tried to allow drilling in alaska? Despite minimal environmental impact to less than a .001% of the land, enviromentalist opposed it and won in congress. Nor was oil exploration expansion allowed in all but maybe a few places...despite modern technique that reduce the harm to the environment. So peg the enviromentalist on that one.

Ironic though, don't you think, that the EPA's poor policy and the environmentalist tactics causes their most hated target (refering to big oil) to profit from those their actions?

SMS 1
03-10-2004, 12:12 AM
:wstupid Amen brotha, you said it all man.

Knyghtmare
03-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Yeah I agree. I really do hate those tree huggin hippies that would rather walk about barefoot smoking pot and bitching about the enviroment then realising reality on most subjects they fight for.

TransAm12sec
03-10-2004, 01:16 AM
I was told that as soon as he became president he cut funding for the electirc car.

animal
03-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by TransAm12sec
I was told that as soon as he became president he cut funding for the electirc car.

Being that it's a horsepower driven forum I'd think everyone here would be happy about that.

There's also a post that I completely agree with Chris on.

There's bashing of tree huggers.

Calling out the libs.

Man, this thread just has everything :)

There's this total environmentalist b1tch at work that goes on and on about all this crap, about how I'm ruining the world for everyone with my v8 truck, yet she smokes a few packs a day and refuses to acknowledge that tobacco production is a HUGE polluter. Not that I really care, but these people suck because they're only as committed as convenience allows. If you're gonna be a gung ho tree hugger, then get the f&%k out in the wilderness and stay there. Bastages.

I told her I'm going to turn off overdrive every single ozone action day this summer, and drive triple the mileage I normally would, not only to use up what she's saving, but to do extra "harm" just out of spite. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This rubbish really gets me going.

PB86MCSS
03-10-2004, 11:50 AM
I don't think its simply supply and demand, this isn't a normal product market, IMO. Of course it has a large impact but theres other forces at hand that are mentioned previously.

Its easy to target individuals with cars for pollution while some large companies in CA that can purchase older cars and crush them for credits...yea, like how many 60's cars are driven daily that pollute so much? It takes more energy and resources to create a new *environmental friendly* car than it does to maintain an older already in existence vehicle too. Something many people do not think about.

lotsals1
03-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by PB86MCSS

I think getting Saddam out was a wee bit more important than any benefit of oil...which there is no proof of. :rolleyes:

Syclone0044
03-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by animal
I told her I'm going to turn off overdrive every single ozone action day this summer, and drive triple the mileage I normally would, not only to use up what she's saving, but to do extra "harm" just out of spite. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ROFL!!!!!! That's as funny as the idea of "adopting a vegetarian".. For every meal that they skip meat cause they think it's 'cruel to animals', eat twice as much BEEF to cancel them out! :flipoff: