PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist

claimsman
04-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Ok, I am the first person who would totally send people to Craigslist to sell things, Yoo can back me up on that.

I put my Couches on there, my Motorcycle and now my TV.

Up until the TV everything sold or had serious inquiries.

Now I am getting slammed with Spam messages and just jackoff's trying to lowball the hell out of me..

What does everyone think about putting up restrictions like Ebay on Craigslist except without fee's?

:fire

Car Guy
04-02-2009, 08:50 PM
It would be hard to do anything like that because it's a FREE site, goes with the territory......

BigSnailBuick
04-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Im sure the hookers I low ball would agree with you :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

RanJer
04-02-2009, 08:56 PM
It would be hard to do anything like that because it's a FREE site, goes with the territory......

Agreed. Can't be especially picky when it comes to free. I've sold plenty of stuff on there and had everything from lowballers to no shows and everything inbetween. Still think it is a moderately decent set-up, even if it is a pita now and again.

u_say_go
04-02-2009, 09:14 PM
it's all part of the game, dude. I've had nothing but great luck with Craigslist! Bought and sold quite a few things, even retrieved a stolen trailer with the help of a sharp-eyed CL user.
I wouldnt change a thing about it. Dont like the lowballers and spam, use the delete button. No shows suck but that can happen with a paid ad in a newspaper too.

Voodoo Chick
04-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I have had some really good luck with Craigslist.....

Rocket Power
04-02-2009, 09:22 PM
If someone lowballs me I just delete it, doesn't cost me anything.

Yooformula
04-02-2009, 09:25 PM
meh good luck with that one Jon! Out of 24 ads in 2 weeks, I only got 1 spammed message, small price to pay for free ads I guess.

TransAm12sec
04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
You don't have to put your e-mail on craigslist however, they have the link to contact the seller.

-stew-
04-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I've had good luck, no shows, time wasters, people that just don't want me to come give them money,and great deals. It's a mixed bag. I've actually never had any one low ball me on anything I've listed.

Car Guy
04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I have noticed that most people don't know what OBO = or best offer, MO = make offer, or OTO = open to offers (plus many other variations) really stand for. I think they put one of those acronyms after the price just because they've seen countless other people do it and feel it's the 'thing to do' when selling something. I can't tell you how many times I've made a 'best offer' on something and then the seller gets all bend out of shape about it telling me what it's 'really' worth blah blah blah......:rolleyes:

I personally think "low balled" is an overused/abused term unless you CLEARLY state that you are firm on the price, then it's a different story......:)

RanJer
04-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I personally think "low balled" is an overused/abused term unless you CLEARLY state that you are firm on the price, then it's a different story......:)

Understandable... but when you list something for $500 OBO... and someone offers you $125.. I'd call that lowballed. Obviously much lower than you're going to take, and considering it's not eBay... You don't have to sell it to the best offer you receive... If no one offers what you want, wait a few days, and relist..

claimsman
04-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Understandable... but when you list something for $500 OBO... and someone offers you $125.. I'd call that lowballed. Obviously much lower than you're going to take, and considering it's not eBay... You don't have to sell it to the best offer you receive... If no one offers what you want, wait a few days, and relist..

All good and valid points! I just don't get why I can sell a motorcycle for thousands and can't rid of a TV for hundreds without the idiots.. My couches went for $50 and I didn't get this much crap.:D

lordairgtar
04-02-2009, 11:24 PM
In this economy, you will get people "giving it a shot". You can say no, but you might also say yes in their minds.

michelle
04-03-2009, 06:02 AM
I adopted all three of my ferrets from different CL people and have had no problems. Maybe the pet section is different, assuming you don't deal with the actual breeders that want a $500 rehoming fee for a dog.

I put the van on there awhile ago and got a few emails, but nobody sat there and lowballed me on it.

Other then those instances, I haven't done much on there to have problems.

JC70SS
04-03-2009, 08:02 AM
I always use CL. I got my LS1 hooker supercomps jet hot coated for $100(brand new)!

subliminal1284
04-03-2009, 09:57 AM
The trick to filtering out spam when selling stuff on craigslist is to choose the option of not leaving an email address and put a phone number in the ad.

Car Guy
04-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Understandable... but when you list something for $500 OBO... and someone offers you $125.. I'd call that lowballed. Obviously much lower than you're going to take.

What if you were willing take that amount...??? The seller doesn't know.....

You can refer to it as "lowballed" but the $125 that the person offered is their BEST OFFER, which is just what you TOLD them to send you in the asking price (OBO). You need to remember that by selling something you're doing business and there should be NO emotions involved when doing so. If you don't like their best offer just politely say “no thank you”, don't get personally offended and fire back at the potential buyer. I say 'potential buyer' because you never know if that person might be willing to pay a little more, meeting the price you'd like to get. As the all too common saying goes, "It's JUST business".....:)

The trick to filtering out spam when selling stuff on craigslist is to choose the option of not leaving an email address and put a phone number in the ad.

That is something in which you need to be VERY careful about, especially if the item you're selling is a 'deal' and has the potential to bring a LOT of attention. Personally I'll deal with the potential spam (via email) after the 'experience' I had when I sold something 'on the cheap' and listed my phone number in the ad.....:rolleyes:

subliminal1284
04-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I havent had any problems, your phone just doesnt stop ringing until you take the ad down.

DirtyMax
04-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I love the free exposure. I hate that there isn't anything to hold people accountable for my time... Quick story...

One guy cost me a whole Saturday recently when he just had to see the car I am selling and had to see it right in the middle of a Saturday when it wasn't exectly convenient. When he was 30 mins late no call no show, I called him... no answer, left voicemail. Did the same thing twice more 30 minutes apart. Never received a call back.

So.....

Last Friday night, after coming home from the bar... my judgement and general reasoning skills heavily impaired mind you.... I decided to call him at 3am and see if he was still interested in the car. He actually answered so once I asked him if he was still interested in the car, he asked me why the hell I was calling him at 3am. I told him since he wasted my whole day, I'm hoping to have put a dent into his night. He sat there for a minute and then ended our call.

lordairgtar
04-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Good one, Dirtymax.

DynoTom
04-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I have always had better luck buying stuff from craigslist than selling stuff......Seems like everytime I list something for sale the "lowballers" and scammers are the only ones who respond.....