PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk turkey...

-stew-
04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Used car parts, performance parts. And their value specificly. How do you, personally, put a value on used parts? I think 50-60% of new is about tops for anything that is not new in the box. And new in box is prolly worth about 75% retail. Body parts, interior can be rather speculative, based on condition, color and comonality. Black foxbody interior parts can go for two to three times the going rate for the same piece in another color; for example.

Recently a tubular k-member came up for sale here, I publicly offered half the asking price. (an offer I felt to be reasonable) The seller was insulted, and I provided links to several similar items priced in line with my offer. The seller was further insulted by this and I then showed he was selling this thing for $30 less than new. I was serious with my offer, and flexible. I wanted it, just not at the asking price.

Now another member (mrs. brett) is making stupid offers on an item I have for sale. She calls this "karma," it's actually a poor (and failed) attempt by her to be ironic. I don't think brett is smart enough to know the difference.

Also a while back, some one was selling a used strut tower brace (that retails for $110) fot $100. Again, I pointed that out, seller got pissed.

I won't even get into some of the insanity I've seen listed on craigslist.

Now, am I an asshole for looking at the going rate and making an offer? I'm not afraid to drop some coin. I've laid laid some good piles of cash in the hands of sellers here. Some things I paid full price for, other things there was some haggling; but I never scammed anybody.

VroomPshhTsi
04-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't think so. When someone publicly posts something for sale, they are pretty much allowing anyone to email them with an offer. If it's a lowball so be it, you can just delete the email or tell them no. You can always state "don't reply with anything less than ___" or whatever.

Prince Valiant
04-01-2009, 10:10 PM
A part is worth whatever the seller wants to sell it for...NOT what they ask for it. If they want to let it go for 1 or 1000 dollars, it doesn't matter. Now, what it's worth to you may be another matter altogether.

If someone has got unrealistic ideas about the worth of a part, I don't even bother usually. What's the point? The guy is delusional, why try to talk sense into them? Try and talk a lunatic sane and they'll usually just get pissed.

Now, if it's a part I really want, but I feel the price is out of line, I do try to bargain the price down...and I will point out the values I generally find/etc. If I don't need it bad enough though, I just keep going if I can't get a reasonable price. If I really need it bad enough, I will pay a premium...because while the part might not be worth it, the time saved/driving/etc makes it worth it to me.

Some parts that are "no wear" might retain a stronger value than other parts...given that if there is a desire for that part, it's clean, all attaching hardware is there, why shouldn't it be priced only slightly less? Well, lack of any warranty should be one reason; lack of garuntee's or venue's to return it to should be more reason; small imperfections another still...but based on that, it'll be worth different things to different people.

If you want to try and lowball, that's fine...just don't be surprised when they react angrily. I usually don't because I know whatever they offer, I don't have to sell. But if it's worth it to me to get rid of the part, I'll sell to a low offer...and I'm never pissed about any deal I make either....so if they get pissed, just point out that "hey, you don't have to make the sale dude. Grow a pair and quit crying....jeez" <<<that's a fav

wrath
04-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Everything that is sold is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I list things for sale for what they are worth *to me* and if no one wants to buy then that's my problem. I don't care if someone lowballs as long as they don't try to badger me into selling it to them at whatever price they have in mind.

Voodoo Chick
04-01-2009, 11:21 PM
The seller has the right to ask for whatever price they want. It is their property, after all. If the buyer believes that price to be unreasonable, he may choose to make an offer, but should the seller find this offer to be too low, the seller then has the right to tell him to **** off.

TheRX7Project
04-02-2009, 08:03 AM
A part is worth whatever it's worth to you. Period.

DurtyKurty
04-02-2009, 09:41 AM
The part I don't understand is the emotion over the issue from either perspective. From the seller who is asking to much and gets insulted from a relatively "low ball" offer. Or the other side when a guy gets irritated or upset because someone is asking too much. Why is everyone getting so mad about it?

If someone low balls me on a part, I ignore them or say no thanks. If someone is selling something for what I think is too much, so what. Another part will come along.

Everyone just needs to relax a little. :alcoholic

TheRX7Project
04-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Zackly.

juicedimpss
04-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Recently a tubular k-member came up for sale here, I publicly offered half the asking price. (an offer I felt to be reasonable) The seller was insulted, and I provided links to several similar items priced in line with my offer.
get into some of the insanity I've seen listed on craigslist.

i feel this is where the problem lies. If you want to shoot someone an offer,just shoot it to them in private.sometimes they will take it. when you post links and trash someones sale thread with statements about how they want too much for something,it causes friction. beating them up in public wont make them want to deal at all.

-stew-
04-02-2009, 11:27 AM
The part I don't understand is the emotion over the issue from either perspective. From the seller who is asking to much and gets insulted from a relatively "low ball" offer. Or the other side when a guy gets irritated or upset because someone is asking too much. Why is everyone getting so mad about it?

If someone low balls me on a part, I ignore them or say no thanks. If someone is selling something for what I think is too much, so what. Another part will come along.

Everyone just needs to relax a little. :alcoholic

I'm upset because I wanted it, but at a reasonable price.

i feel this is where the problem lies. If you want to shoot someone an offer,just shoot it to them in private.sometimes they will take it. when you post links and trash someones sale thread with statements about how they want too much for something,it causes friction. beating them up in public wont make them want to deal at all.

I wasn't trying to beat up on him, I was justifying my offer after he told me to "get real".

Voodoo Chick
04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Well.......I understand the being upset part......but couldn't you find the same part at a better price elsewhere? There's so many options nowadays, so maybe if one seller was giving you a hard time, just let him be, and find a nicer one.....you might even find a nicer part....

Rocket Power
04-02-2009, 01:10 PM
When I am selling stuff I usually start around half of new unless it's a hard to find/rare part and work down from there if the condition isn't great.

If it's a part I am looking at to buy, if the asking price is way above what I'll pay I don't bother , if it's reasonably close I'll make an offer of what it's worth to me. I wanted BBO gbody headers, they are like 500 or more new, I found a used set for 150 and bought them, if someone was asking 350 I wouldn't bother haggleing since ,to me, a used set is worth about 250.

MurphysLaw88GT
04-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Everything that is sold is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I list things for sale for what they are worth *to me* and if no one wants to buy then that's my problem. I don't care if someone lowballs as long as they don't try to badger me into selling it to them at whatever price they have in mind.

:thumbsup

-stew-
04-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Well.......I understand the being upset part......but couldn't you find the same part at a better price elsewhere? There's so many options nowadays, so maybe if one seller was giving you a hard time, just let him be, and find a nicer one.....you might even find a nicer part....

He is local, I prefer to spend my money locally when I can. Plus no dealing with shipping costs. I wanted it now while my car is apart. Maybe I will look at Jefferson. If the car is on the road (or close) I don't wanna go tearing into it majorly till fall.

Voodoo Chick
04-02-2009, 02:49 PM
He is local, I prefer to spend my money locally when I can. Plus no dealing with shipping costs. I wanted it now while my car is apart. Maybe I will look at Jefferson. If the car is on the road (or close) I don't wanna go tearing into it majorly till fall.

Yeah, I understand how that goes.....When they are on the road running decent, taking on a major project with them just seems.....pointless. During fall/winter, there's just nothing else to do, so why not? Jefferson the last few years has been full of awesome finds, at least for me, chances are you might find a really good deal. Good luck.

Irish
04-05-2009, 10:46 PM
You aren't an asshole for trying to throw a lower offer however, it's pretty lame to get really upset about it when they say no. If he say's "get real" because of the offer fine, call him an asshole for his manners but for you to get upset at him because he didn't sell you the part for what you thought it was worth just makes you look like a cry baby.

Yooformula
04-05-2009, 11:42 PM
dude. the links you posted were crap. One link was of similar parts that the owner wasnt sure what brand they were, the other link was from a seller that had the parts laying around and just wanted them gone so he unloaded them cheap, the other ad was very similar but didnt include the same items listed here and the last ad was only off by $50 between asking prices. Its was his ad, he can ask anything he wants, if you dont like it, dont post. If you offer him less and he doesnt like it move on! Dont shit up a thread because YOU want to pout about it.

A part retails for new at $110 and the owner ASKS for $100 and it wasnt used??? hmm, I must have missed something here, still sounds new to me but again, he can ask anything he wants, its HIS part.

let me quote the rules real quick for you, in case you question why people get annoyed or I delete some posts in a classifieds ad....

"***Please read the rules of the Classifieds Fourm before posting an item/s.***

1.) You MUST have 100 posts to be able to post in the Classifieds fourm. And don't bother being a post whore, that'll just make things more difficult for you to post.

2.) You MUST list a price, there will not be any bidding wars going on.

3.) Please list your NAME and LOCATION, so people know who they are talking to and where the item is from.
(If not done so the Topic / Thread will be Closed / Deleted!!!)

4.) Please don't make more than 1 post regarding the same item for sale. You can "TOP" the thread.

5.) Please be as descriptive as possible regarding item listed for sale.
(Pictures always help in a quick sale of your item.)

6.) DO NOT reply to a post that has nothing to do with the item itself.

7.) If Rules are not followed the TOPIC / POSTS will be deleted from the Classified Fourm.

8.) When an item is "SOLD" the post will be closed / locked or deleted.

9.) Buyer "BEWARE" in from who you purchasing an item from, if they have a low posting number we suggest you in looking at there past sales and posts.
(You may post a BAD SELLER/ BUYER, to report a bad transaction)

10.) SCAMMING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!!

11.) If a buyer should be Scammed, report the incident to a Admistrator or the Classified Moderator.

12.) If someone has sent you a E-Mail in regards to the item that you are selling, PLEASE respond back to them A.S.A.P.
13.) There will be NO disrespecting of another board member in the CLASSIFIEDS. Don't like it? Go to E-Bay. If you have no intention of purchasing the item or dont like the price, do NOT post in the thread.

14.) Do NOT post for sale ads for other members and/or NON-MEMBERS of BCM. If they dont have enough posts they would need to contact Yooformula or Cryptic as they are the admins of the board. You could lose classifieds access should you post someone else's ad.

***(If you fail to reply or respond to the person properly asking about the item you are selling your post will be deleted/ locked.)"

madmike
04-05-2009, 11:43 PM
When I put something up for sale, I always ask more than I want - expecting someone to offer less.

I know people who will never buy something at the asking price even if they need it, if they cant talk em down a buck they wont buy it, its like a big game for them that they live for, and they are bull headed about it so I play their game in advance by asking more to begine with...

Yooformula
04-05-2009, 11:46 PM
oh yeah, I'll take alot of mash potatoes and gravy with my turkey please.

Irish
04-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Mmm turkey! Oh and don't forget the candied yams!

badass88gt
04-06-2009, 12:07 AM
I really cant understand getting butthurt by lowballers. Tell them no or get bent. I really really cant understand someone being upset because they were told to get bent by a seller. Tell the seller to phuck off and move on. Dont make a thread asking people about it. That just makes it worse.

There is no reason that a brand new part shouldnt be sold locally for the same price as buying brand new from a vendor. Buy it from the local guy to help him out by taking it off his hands, you were going to buy one anyway. That is what Goat Roper did for me and now I will try to help him out if the opportunity is there.

Yooformula
04-06-2009, 12:09 AM
no it wasnt new, stew just didnt like the asking price and whined about it and yet again with this monkeyshit thread.

Voodoo Chick
04-06-2009, 12:19 AM
[quote=IRISH;524182]Mmm turkey! Oh and don't forget the candied yams![/quote

That DOES sound niiiiiice.......:drool:

letsrunem
04-06-2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.lolz.se/fun/fail-1.jpg

xwing
04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I always ballpark half the new price for mechanical things/stuff that wears out; and 2/3 the new price for stuff that doesn't wear out or get used up, assuming the stuff is in all good condition.
It still depends on what the market is and if there is any demand or not, in the end...but that's my ballpark.
Somebody tries to give me 10 cents on the dollar for something perfectly good, I will throw it out or take a sledgehammer to it in front of them :)

lordairgtar
04-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Cranberries!