PDA

View Full Version : using I to much

2006wrxtr
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Ever notice people using I every 3rd word.

Example: I decided I should go on a diet because I need to loose some weight.

I should go on a diet to loose some weight.

Cuts the word count in 1/2.

Just one of my many observations..

DirtyMax
04-01-2009, 03:49 PM
In your case, it also allows more time to perfect the art of spelling... :goof

2006wrxtr
04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
In your case, it also allows more time to perfect the art of spelling... :goof
I really don't think I have a problem spelling. I have a typing skills issue that I need to correct, I will work on that.

DirtyMax
04-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Ok. Then go loose some weight. Meanwhile, I'll try to lose some as well and we'll see who succeeds. :durr

Making the mistake once is an accident, twice on the same word though....

Just bustin your balls tho.... :thumbsup

Holeshot
04-01-2009, 03:53 PM
I thought I was supposed to refer to myself as I. Am I right on this ? I thought I was.

Car Guy
04-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I can't stand it when the word "to" is used when it should be "too" (see thread title)......:shades :goof

In general people's grammar is terrible and I tend to skip certain posts because it can be so hard to read.....:durr

2006wrxtr
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Ok. Then go loose some weight. Maenwhile, I'll try to lose some as well and we'll see who succeeds. :durr

Making the mistake once is an accident, twice on the same word though....

Just bustin your balls tho.... :thumbsup

Yeah well MPS taught me well...

Lose is when something is lost?
Loose is having a screw loose?

I have thick skin doesn't bother me.

I also have an issue with the use of like and ya' Know..

2006wrxtr
04-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I can't stand it when the word "to" is used when it should be "too" (see thread title)......:shades :goof

In general people's grammar is terrible and I tend to skip certain posts because it can be so hard to read.....:durr

yes you are right, that is something I also trie not to do

I was under the impression that too was used as also.
TOO:
–adverb 1.in addition; also; furthermore; moreover: young, clever, and rich too. 2.to an excessive extent or degree; beyond what is desirable, fitting, or right: too sick to travel. 3.more, as specified, than should be: too near the fire. 4.(used as an affirmative to contradict a negative statement): I am too! 5.extremely; very: She wasn't too pleased with his behavior

I too hate that?

michelle
04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I like when someone makes a grammar post and then everyone else perfects what he or she said.

Car Guy
04-01-2009, 04:15 PM
To be honest everybody develops grammatical errors of some sort both in writing and speaking without knowing it most of the time. Some will argue it's killing the English language because repetition is what you learn, and I agree to a certain point. Unfortunately it will only continue to get worse with the world becoming more of a 'mixing pot' of different languages along with more and more techno based communications like online forums, texting, emails, etc......

Deggy
04-01-2009, 04:18 PM
This thread was doomed from the get go.

07ROUSHSTG3
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
what i hate is when people type whole paragraphs and do not use any punctuation at all it drives me crazy having to try to guess what the post is supposed to sound like when there is nothing to give any hints that bothers me

Holeshot
04-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I like when someone makes a grammar post and then everyone else perfects what he or she said.

Michelle you are the BCM Teacher. I think you should tutor some of us. Me first. :headbang

michelle
04-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Michelle you are the BCM Teacher. I think you should tutor some of us. Me first. :headbang

Yeah, I will be the first to admit that I am not at English teacher though. But give me a math problem and I am your girl! :goof

URLOZIN
04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
yes you are right, that is something I also trie not to do

I was under the impression that too was used as also.
TOO:
–adverb 1.in addition; also; furthermore; moreover: young, clever, and rich too. 2.to an excessive extent or degree; beyond what is desirable, fitting, or right: too sick to travel. 3.more, as specified, than should be: too near the fire. 4.(used as an affirmative to contradict a negative statement): I am too! 5.extremely; very: She wasn't too pleased with his behavior

I too hate that?
trie???? lol

I also hate it when people say good luck on your sell instead of sale, or they use then and than wrong.
I was a grammar dork in school.lol

Car Guy
04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
trie???? lol

:rolf :rolf :rolf

I was going to ignore that one, figured I had picked apart enough grammar mistakes already.....:)

DirtyMax
04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Related but not really...

The other night, we were polling people on the pronounciation of certain words. The word of the night was coupon. We were trying to see whether the majority of people pronounce it "coo-pon" versus "kyew-pon".

I'd say it was bout 30% "coopon" and 70% "kyewpon"

Holeshot
04-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I will be the first to admit that I am not at English teacher though. But give me a math problem and I am your girl! :goof

I was serious. Was never good a grammar.

michelle
04-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I was serious. Was never good at grammar.

I don't mind editing papers, letters, etc. My family always sends me stuff to read over before they send important stuff. If you ever need anything edited, just email it over to me. (:

Car Guy
04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Related but not really...

The other night, we were polling people on the pronounciation of certain words. The word of the night was coupon. We were trying to see whether the majority of people pronounce it "coo-pon" versus "kyew-pon".

I'd say it was bout 30% "coopon" and 70% "kyewpon"

Pronunciations are an entirely different subject that can be more complicated than grammar itself.....:stare

2006wrxtr
04-01-2009, 05:43 PM
[quote=URLOZIN;522288]trie???? lol

Yeah, I really need to use the spell check it appears....

Voodoo Chick
04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I can decipher pretty much of what people are trying to type/say, so bad grammar, punctuation, etc. doesn't bother me at all.

Al
04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Pronunciations are an entirely different subject that can be more complicated than grammar itself.....:stare

I'll second that.

Just try to talk to someone from Boston!

Midwest: I have a garden in my back yard.
Boston: I have a gaaden in my back yaad.

michelle
04-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I'll second that.

My friends in the Boston area make fun of how I say wagon and bagel. Drives me nuts and I don't even use those words in conversations!

Car Guy
04-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I'll second that.

Sounds like you've been watching This Old House on PBS.....:rolf :rolf :rolf

Deggy
04-01-2009, 07:47 PM
I try to use proper punctuation at least when typing. My grammar may not be the best at times.

But I don't remember who has it in their signature on here but, it says something like....

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse and I helped my uncle Jack, off a horse.

Punctuation can make all the difference in helping your uncle off a horse, or jerk off one. Haha.

Deggy
04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Sounds like you've been watching This Old House on PBS.....:rolf :rolf :rolf

You coming to look at that couch you summma bish!? :goof