PDA

View Full Version : Ford kills "Boss" v8's...and perhaps all gas v8's?

Prince Valiant
04-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Inside sources have confirmed that the Boss engine has been put back on the shelf.

"At this time, it's too expensive to bring this engine to the market. While the engine is essentially done, it cost more to build than would likely bring in in terms of new business; we would actually decrease our profit margins on trucks."

There had been much debate early in the BOSS program about the final form the engine should take. Much of the advantage of the Hemi and GM's LS series V8's over their modular counterparts were that the pushrod design was cheaper and thus more profitable, as well as more compact. Originally, the upcoming BOSS engines were to follow the pushrod example so as to give them a cost advantage over the smaller, less powerful modular V8's.

About 3 years ago though, Ford decided to save development cost by essentially copying the modular motor on a large scale...but giving it the large bore spacing and bores as to allow it to grow. Therefore, the BOSS retained the more expensive to produce OHC design.

Part of the problem, our sources say, is the problems they have been having in test mules with their timing belts. One of the new features of the BOSS engine over the modular were to be it's use of a long life timing belt.

"These new timing belts have a high failure rate from 50,000 miles onward," according to our engine source. "These belts were supposed to last 300,000 miles."

Our source also noted that Ford will watch the success of the "Ecoboost" engines very closely. "It's possible that if the ecoboost v6's and small diesels when they eventually come online are a success, there would be little to no need to continue the modular engines. Of course, the ecoboost will need to be sucessful in both the trucks and Mustang for this to occur."

Continue to follow Leftlanenews for further developments.

Leftlanenews.com (http://www.mycrunkspace.com/content/graphics/13905dabb740fdf890b908bd961a18f4.gif)

Plum Crazy
04-01-2009, 09:04 AM
should have went OHC with a chain, atleast you can get 100k or more depending on if the water pump runs off of it.

PureSound15
04-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Of course, the ecoboost will need to be sucessful in both the trucks and Mustang for this to occur."

:alcoholic

So... they're just goint to strip the heart of the beast which had a major part in their "success" and the muscle car evolution as a whole?

I think the whole twin turbo ecoboost thing is kind of neat ... but it just seems like a strange idea to kill everything else.

Karps TA
04-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm not going to pay attention to any sort of news today.

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Current gas job V8 line up is GoodEnough, has been for 10+ years.
Saving the tool and die money seems smart.

07ROUSHSTG3
04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm not going to pay attention to any sort of news today.

yeah. me too.

TheRX7Project
04-01-2009, 12:24 PM
but OMG did you guys hear thast dodge and gm are pulling out of nascar !!!1!one!

Rocket Power
04-01-2009, 12:29 PM
yeah. me too.x3 besides their ohc v8s have chains

;)

Voodoo Chick
04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
I think I'm going to stop reading the news every day....not just today. Every day there's something else that either depresses me or pisses me off.

2006wrxtr
04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
They should have kept developing the pushrod engines for the reasons they listed compact, powerful, and less expensive.

I would bet that my new enigine with a numerically lower (3.08-3.27 ) gear could pull down 30mpg on the highway.

I also think that ford shuold offer a multi tune engine kinda like the SCT chip on for premium fuel and another for 87oct. That way you could save on fuel and get good mileage too.

michelle
04-01-2009, 03:29 PM
:rolf

Oh people, you can be so amusing.

Holeshot
04-01-2009, 03:32 PM
They should have kept developing the pushrod engines for the reasons they listed compact, powerful, and less expensive.

I would bet that my new enigine with a numerically lower (3.08-3.27 ) gear could pull down 30mpg on the highway.

I also think that ford shuold offer a multi tune engine kinda like the SCT chip on for premium fuel and another for 87oct. That way you could save on fuel and get good mileage too.I think the new carb rules are going to be much stricter the originally thought.

BAD LS1
04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I think the new carb rules are going to be much stricter the originally thought.

God knows they are on small engines of all things! Id hate to be a compliance guy in the car industry for the years ahead.

Al
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM
I also think that ford shuold offer a multi tune engine kinda like the SCT chip on for premium fuel and another for 87oct. That way you could save on fuel and get good mileage too.

What they really need is FSI on every vehicle.