PDA

View Full Version : Question for the military guys

subliminal1284
04-01-2009, 12:08 AM
My best friend served 4 years in the USMC he was in the Infantry and toured in both Afghanistan and Iraq. His enlistment ended last January. He is out of work and now has a new born baby and does not qualify for unemployment. Are there any programs the military offers to help veterans that are out of work and have low income? Thanks for any information you can give me.

srt4eh
04-01-2009, 12:34 AM
I have not heard of anything....although maybe someone else has?

Cryptic
04-01-2009, 12:41 AM
How does he not qualify for unemployment? I'm pretty sure I got it for a couple months out the military

subliminal1284
04-01-2009, 01:08 AM
He has only worked for temp agencies the past year and none of them have kept him around longer than 6 months before they let him go so he doesnt qualify.

TraceDaddy
04-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Programs are constantly changing. Best bet is to contact the VA. Milwaukee Regional Office is at 800-827-1000

Feature Pony
04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
tell him to get on the GI bill!!! They will pay him to go to school, plus pay for his schooling!! Yeah money might be a little tight but with a good education he should be all set in a couple of years.

-stew-
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM
hireahero.org

mrz28M6
04-01-2009, 10:43 AM
yea theres many options he can do. like people said the wisconsin GI Bill everyone qualifies for which is seperate from the GI Bill that you had to pay into while in service. Another option like said, go to the milwaukee regional office on national ave next to the VA. Also, there are a few place around milwaukee that have a person that deals with ex military only and will help you locate a job.

GHOSST
04-01-2009, 10:47 AM
My best friend served 4 years in the USMC he was in the Infantry and toured in both Afghanistan and Iraq. His enlistment ended last January. He is out of work and now has a new born baby and does not qualify for unemployment. Are there any programs the military offers to help veterans that are out of work and have low income? Thanks for any information you can give me.

That doesn't sound right. Did he get a dishonorable? Hate to break it to you, but veterans dont get as much pull as you think. I'd recommend he take full advantage if his G.I. bill, thats about the only option he has. And him being a 03 wont make any difference than if he was an 01 Admin Marine pushing papers. If anything he could utilize those skills and try something in law inforcement or the private security sector. But with the way things are looking, there pulling Ready Reserve Marines all the time, so he might get re-called soon. But this is the honest truth, you have to prepare your EAS at least a year out, and with this economy the way it is, Reenlisting for another 4 isnt a bad idea. If he didnt plan for the future, nothing in the civilian world will reach out to help him espcecially in this time. Granted people love to hire veterans above others, but with the way things are now, good luck. 100% job security is to just stay in, at least until the job market improves, and you'll be happily serving your country at the same time, win/win.