PDA

View Full Version : ~ Gus's drive-in ~

awsomeears
03-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Hmmmm I never knew there was a drive-in in East Troy, anyone head out there last year ?

I would like to head out there this year and get a Malt/Burger :thumbsup

juicedimpss
03-31-2009, 02:32 PM
and.........

Thanks for supporting the site.

michelle
03-31-2009, 02:35 PM
I stopped out there once last year. Ask your brother, he was there too.

94greenbandit
03-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Didn't know there was one that close to me. My wife and I liked going to the one on 27th before they closed

My mistake I thought it was a drive in movie place :durr

Flicktitty
03-31-2009, 02:43 PM
i was there a few times last year, it's pretty cool.

i personally think there show nights need to be a little more lenient about what cars can park in the lot.

awsomeears
03-31-2009, 02:46 PM
and.........

Thanks for supporting the site.

x2 :thumbsup

I will make it out there for sure, a good malt on a warm night sounds great right about n...... Last month :rolf

shoooo32
03-31-2009, 04:07 PM
My wife and I went out there a few time last year. Saturday afternoons in the summer are crazy. Nice hot rod and old school muscle turn out. I can see why you didn't get a lot of love Flick, they don't have a strong import crowd there.

-stew-
03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Been there a shit ton of times back when I lived in the E T. Good food. The saturday night car show is exellent, considering what a shit hole town E T is.

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Seems like a great show, but it's a bit of a long way away.

hotshift13
03-31-2009, 04:38 PM
They just opened for the season, so I eat there every so often. Great food, never been to a car show tho.

udlose98
03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
out of place???? nooooooo

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/3316529151_1a883d7430_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3378/3317349152_b6defaf788_b.jpg

Yooformula
03-31-2009, 06:08 PM
maybe but looks damm good doing it.

-stew-
03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
The Ferraris (yes, plural) that show up regularly are imports and they are given a warm welcome. I think they should do something to get more people to bring out Camaros and Mustangs. You just don't see enough of them around...

lordairgtar
03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Pretty busy place, good food. The lot is pretty small, so I guess they are going to limit what gets in. The school field across the road I think is open to anything.

Exitspeed
03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh damn, I thought you guys were talking about a Movie Drive-In. I got all excited for a second.

Car Guy
03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
I stopped out there once last year. Ask your brother, he was there too.

Sure was, it was a good time and the food was pretty good too.....

i personally think there show nights need to be a little more lenient about what cars can park in the lot.

I will agree with you 100% but I can see why it is that way, however, that doesn't mean I agree with it.....:)

MoCkiN U
03-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Heavy Chevy Burger with cheese fries and Im done LOL....

Good eats!! The car show is always cool. Me and Shaun have been out there a couple of times last year. Its always a good turn out but funny comments you can hear sometimes.

Me and my buddy joe pull up (600+whp) cobra and some douche says "any of these can take both of those anyday" as he is pointing to a few long nosed tank looking olds that were barely running.

THen the great "fast and furious" comments are great cause the car has a body kit and painted pieces in the engine bay.

people sometimes just arent car people LOL

udlose98
03-31-2009, 07:42 PM
I expected comments like that, and probably got them when I wasnt around, but overall everyone seemed pretty receptive, however when i went there last year we crashed the party late.

Prince Valiant
03-31-2009, 08:21 PM
There burgers look good to me...I don't care if they don't let the coronet park there on a show night or whatever. It ain't perfect.

Love seeing the pic of the marlin in the parking lot, lol.

LEWETHETIGER73
03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
I go as often as I can, The food is great and the atmoshpere is even better. That being said you have to look at the era when these places were popular. Sure on saturday nights the keep all the era correct cars close to the front. What do you expect its a 50's 60's drive up. Most newer cars can always park on the grass if they feel out of place. Personally I don't think anything newer then 73 should park on the main lot.

But then again I have a 73 :thumbsup

70challenger452
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
I've never heard of this place before but I'm definatly going to cruise out there this summer

70challenger452
03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
we should try to see if we can reserve the place for a BCM only meet, that would be awesome

Yeehaw
03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
i had the toyota out there once last year got some attention will prolly show it off more this year

jbiscuit
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
its a cool place for sure but if you park in the main parking lot, be prepared to get blocked in all night!

MoCkiN U
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
week nights work for that. Saturdays....forget it. Gus is cool to me and probably some on this board but im sure he'll just say "first come first serve" on that day as he is busy in the kitchen.

Week nights he is completely down to support tho slightly for obvious reasons LOL

Think people will see a different side of Gus too. He really is one cool guy and loves cars but does get stuck between his constant customers who bring the classics and his desire to bring in a new breed of vehicles. He wants newer cars, he talks about it all the time when Im there but hes stuck in the middle of them not wanting it and risking losing customers to try it.

Yeehaw
03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
be a nice break on a weds evening or somthing

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 10:44 PM
I won't bring my Z/28.......She has a "themed" look that so far NO ONE gets, and I'm sure she'd be turned away, and I'd be butthurt to the point of tears.

Cryptic
03-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Sorry, but Saturday belongs to Georgie's. I can take my RX7 there and not feel out of place.

Everyone is welcome there. Late model cars park in the School field across the street. Gus is going to also try and organize just a late model show this year. A poll will be coming out to vote which day you would like it to be.

Cryptic
03-31-2009, 10:50 PM
There burgers look good to me...I don't care if they don't let the coronet park there on a show night or whatever. It ain't perfect.

Love seeing the pic of the marlin in the parking lot, lol.

They don't discriminate there.

GRAMPS SS
03-31-2009, 10:51 PM
we should try to see if we can reserve the place for a BCM only meet, that would be awesome

hell i'm in with the mountaqueer...lets do a road trip...sounds like the way A&W on 27th st USED to be....

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Georgie's seems to really be the friendliest, most accepting show. No one ends up feeling shunned, which is awesome. My Camaro has a deliberately "rough" look, metal that looks scorched, scuffed up flat-black paint, I was going for a sort of post-apocalyptic look, and no one gets it....they all just assume she's not finished yet.....it gets very agravating. Only a few people have "got it" in the past...had a guy walk up and say "Hey.....Mad Max car!" Kinda funny.

Cryptic
03-31-2009, 10:55 PM

That could be arranged, no problem.

GRAMPS SS
03-31-2009, 10:57 PM
I won't bring my Z/28.......She has a "themed" look that so far NO ONE gets, and I'm sure she'd be turned away, and I'd be butthurt to the point of tears.

THEREE IS A PLACE TO GO IF YOUR BUTT HURT...

and just take the car...hell i catch shit for taking the QUEER do i car..hell no..

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 10:59 PM
THEREE IS A PLACE TO GO IF YOUR BUTT HURT...

and just take the car...hell i catch shit for taking the

Yeah.....but when people rag on the car, I get actually, honestly.....well.....hurt. I really can't deal with it, and I have no shame in admitting that.

GRAMPS SS
03-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah.....but when people rag on the car, I get actually, honestly.....well.....hurt. I really can't deal with it, and I have no shame in admitting that.

come on...i got you beat...i drive a mountainqueer...look at the shame in that...:thumbsup

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
come on...i got you beat...i drive a mountainqueer...look at the shame in that...:thumbsup

The Mountaineer is pretty! There's no shame in driving that baby!

TheRX7Project
03-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Everyone is welcome there. Late model cars park in the School field across the street. Gus is going to also try and organize just a late model show this year. A poll will be coming out to vote which day you would like it to be.

That was the way Solid Gold used to be too, and hence I don't go to Solid Gold. If I'm willing to drive somewhere and patronize their business, they better let me park in their lot, regardless of how nice my car is.

I won't have a problem showing up if I know I can park in the lot (assuming it's not full) but turn me away or make me park somewhere else because "my car isn't nice enough" and you lose my business for good. Period.

This isn't a pay-to-enter show, it's a cruise in.

lordairgtar
03-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Now I've had the HHR at Gus's, but I suppose that it being a retro look vehicle, it was let in. I think anyone that goes will enjoy themselves, old, new, whatever. If your newer stuff has to go across the street, don't have a chip on your shoulder. Like someone said, Gus may have a newer type event coming. I do like Georgies, though. I think Gus and Georgie are related in some way IIRC.

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 11:12 PM
That was the way Solid Gold used to be too, and hence I don't go to Solid Gold. If I'm willing to drive somewhere and patronize their business, they better let me park in their lot, regardless of how nice my car is.

I won't have a problem showing up if I know I can park in the lot (assuming it's not full) but turn me away or make me park somewhere else because "my car isn't nice enough" and you lose my business for good. Period.

This isn't a pay-to-enter show, it's a cruise in.

100 % agreed. That "turn away certain cars" sh*t is NOT cool. People don't understand that not everyone wants to look at the perfect restos all the time, and sometimes if a car looks a certain way, maybe it's on purpose. When we first sprayed the Z/28, the flat black was smooth and uniform, and didn't look "right," it has taken me a lot of work to make it look worn and aged. Each screw and metal piece has been specially painted to look scorched and blackened, and a lot of attention has been paid to keep the look believable. It was just as much work to make that car look like she went through a war as it is to make them look perfect, I think she deserves just as much respect as a "trailer queen." That car-nazi attitude some shows get is really wrong.

yellow vert
04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Gus’s Drive-in doesn’t put a limit on the car that come, just a limit of spaces In there lot. If you get there after the lot is full, you just have to park next door or across the street. I take my 95 mustang a lot and have never been turn away.

Yooformula
04-01-2009, 01:23 PM
And that is why a bunch of us started this forum/club/group because of those sentiments. As a result we try to align ourselves with businesses that are open to all makes/models. After all we have been running car shows/cruises for almost 9 years now but keep in mind there isnt always space in a main lot but the point is to hang out with folks that share the same interest not just win a trophy or get main stage in a parking lot. I have always asked people to bring what you got no matter what the condition as there are always people that may have the same interest. If you chose not to, oh well sorry to hear it but dont cry or whine about it please.

Gus's drive-in is working with BCM and we both look forward to a great season this year!

Nick
04-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I really want to make it out!

GRAMPS SS
04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
i'm there.......with the MOUNTAQUEER...and my trusty side kick...

SmokinRAM114
04-01-2009, 09:59 PM
head out there quite a bit. good food, my diesel was welcome when i was there. :)

Reverend Cooper
04-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I would like tho go,id bring both vehicles

03CVLX
04-01-2009, 10:25 PM
If I am off of work, I will be there. Either with my Vic or I'll bring out the Galaxie.

Voodoo Chick
04-01-2009, 11:05 PM
If I am off of work, I will be there. Either with my Vic or I'll bring out the Galaxie.

What year is your Galaxie????

03CVLX
04-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Its a 1969. Its actually my Dad's but if it sees a car show I am usually driving. :goof Its been family owned in Wisconsin since new and now only has 32K miles on the clock.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/quasar3210/1969%20Galaxie%20500/IMG_0306.jpg

Voodoo Chick
04-01-2009, 11:28 PM
It's absolutely beautiful! I'd love to see it in person.....

TheRX7Project
04-02-2009, 08:01 AM
And that is why a bunch of us started this forum/club/group because of those sentiments. As a result we try to align ourselves with businesses that are open to all makes/models. After all we have been running car shows/cruises for almost 9 years now but keep in mind there isnt always space in a main lot but the point is to hang out with folks that share the same interest not just win a trophy or get main stage in a parking lot. I have always asked people to bring what you got no matter what the condition as there are always people that may have the same interest. If you chose not to, oh well sorry to hear it but dont cry or whine about it please.

Gus's drive-in is working with BCM and we both look forward to a great season this year!

And that's my point. If I get there late and there's no parking, my fault. However if I get there at a reasonable time, and there is still parking available, I don't expect to get turned away because my car isn't pristine.

Voodoo Chick
04-02-2009, 10:47 AM
And that's my point. If I get there late and there's no parking, my fault. However if I get there at a reasonable time, and there is still parking available, I don't expect to get turned away because my car isn't pristine.

There was a few of us that parked together at Georgie's last summer, my flat black Z/28, my friend's flat black '74 Laguna, another guy's flat black Nova, and occasionally a beat up black Cutlass would park with us too.....those "not pristine" cars all parked together looked evil as hell, like the car-equivalent of a gang of hell's angels, lol........this summer, just come park by us, your car will look like the evil little black ninja car, lol!! :thumbsup She'll get the respect she deserves!! :banana1:

TheRX7Project
04-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Wait, Flat black 74 Laguna... is the guy's name Russ?

shoooo32
04-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Gus’s Drive-in doesn’t put a limit on the car that come, just a limit of spaces In there lot. If you get there after the lot is full, you just have to park next door or across the street. I take my 95 mustang a lot and have never been turn away.

I know for a fact they save spaces. The high school kid with the flag turned away a rough 3rd gen t/a only to let me in two cars later.

Voodoo Chick
04-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Wait, Flat black 74 Laguna... is the guy's name Russ?

Yeah, his name is Russ, and he's super awesome!! You know him??

1320PNY
04-02-2009, 08:27 PM
OK, My '06 Stang is welcomed at Gus's. Gus was excited the first time I came in and they put me in the slide-show on the video display in the dining area.

I am proud and happy to promote Gus's as it is openly a great place to eat with a great staff and great patrons.

Do not worry about going, parking anywhere, having some comments (compliments / nits) as that is what the world is about, personal choice.

I was all GM for years. Born and raised on Chevelles, '57 Bel Air, 72 El Camino SS, 1985 Eurosport, 2000 Silverado.

Now I drive a Ford. I used to dig on Ford all day, now I proudly drive one. So if you hear something you don't like, it's just a lover that hasn't converted yet!

TheRX7Project
04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Yeah, his name is Russ, and he's super awesome!! You know him??
It's a small world. I've known Russ for ~10 years.

michelle
04-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Nothing wrong with parking in the field across from the place. Plenty of people walk across and look at those cars as well. Honestly, in the field I can park at whatever angle I want and nobody will notice if I am in the "lines" or not. :goof

If you know me, then you know I can't park properly to save my life. Plus I wouldn't want to hit anything in that lot.

eric302
04-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Get there before 4 if you want to park in the lot with anything. Otherwise old stuff in the lot and anything across the street. Nice crowd good food.

SSLEVO
04-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I may have to make a trip down some time. I am with some of you guys though, you've seen one restored camaro/mustang you've seen em all, who cares, lol. I dig the late model and crazy setups. Swap an ls1 in a rx7, blown big blocks, turbo imports. It is kind of funny how naive some "old school" guys are when it comes to late model stuff. I've pulled up to a few muscle cars in the evo and wanted to run, they laughed at me, i then proceeded to completely blow their doors off, i guess i got the last laugh, lol.

Voodoo Chick
04-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Last laugh? No offense, but regardless of speed, I still think an old muscle car commands a whole lot more attention and awe than a.....well.......you know what I'm getting at....A hummingbird can beat it's wings faster than an eagle can, but it's still just not as cool. ;)

1320PNY
04-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Last laugh? No offense, but regardless of speed, I still think an old muscle car commands a whole lot more attention and awe than a.....well.......you know what I'm getting at....A hummingbird can beat it's wings faster than an eagle can, but it's still just not as cool. ;)

:wtf

My car is a Mustang? So what's this hummingbird crap?

Voodoo Chick
04-03-2009, 10:54 PM
:wtf

My car is a Mustang? So what's this hummingbird crap?

Mustangs aren't included in that statement! They would be in the "eagle" side of my metaphor, lol.....

GRAMPS SS
04-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Mustangs aren't included in that statement! They would be in the "BAT" side of my metaphor, lol.....

:thumbsup

SSLEVO
04-03-2009, 11:40 PM

That's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just recently i have become a ricer, haha. I had a restored 79 camaro in high school and just recently sold a 380 whp 95 z28. Don't get me wrong, i like old school muscle just as much as the next guy, they are nice to look at but i like to brake and turn as well. If you want to group the evo with the honda civics with a body kit be my guest, take a slightly modified one for a drive and you may be supprised. I drive a car for the performance and the feel, not the looks or "awe" i recieve, lol.

Voodoo Chick
04-03-2009, 11:50 PM
That's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just recently i have become a ricer, haha. I had a restored 79 camaro in high school and just recently sold a 380 whp 95 z28. Don't get me wrong, i like old school muscle just as much as the next guy, they are nice to look at but i like to brake and turn as well. If you want to group the evo with the honda civics with a body kit be my guest, take a slightly modified one for a drive and you may be supprised. I drive a car for the performance and the feel, not the looks or "awe" i recieve, lol.

I drive the old ones not just for the "awe" (although it's a VERY nice part) but for the fact that they carry a piece of their own era with them, and they have a powerful magic all their own. Mine brake, turn and handle extremely well, actually. As for taking a modded evo for a spin....no thanks. I already know it wouldn't turn me on. It doesn't have the feel, or the presence I seek. I'm sure they perform just fine, but in the end, I would be left unsatisfied, and craving that big, seething V8 beast I love so well....;)

SSLEVO
04-04-2009, 12:03 AM
I drive the old ones not just for the "awe" (although it's a VERY nice part) but for the fact that they carry a piece of their own era with them, and they have a powerful magic all their own. Mine brake, turn and handle extremely well, actually. As for taking a modded evo for a spin....no thanks. I already know it wouldn't turn me on. It doesn't have the feel, or the presence I seek. I'm sure they perform just fine, but in the end, I would be left unsatisfied, and craving that big, seething V8 beast I love so well....;)

Sounds good, if you would like to see how extremely well it brakes and handles we should go to a track day some time:thumbsup Not trying to start a pissing match, if we all drove the same cars life would be boring:shades

Voodoo Chick
04-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Sounds good, if you would like to see how extremely well it brakes and handles we should go to a track day some time:thumbsup Not trying to start a pissing match, if we all drove the same cars life would be boring:shades

I don't put them on the track.....they are far too precious to me to risk them in any way, shape, or form. I figure it's like this: 20-30 years ago, I'm sure they were raced, beaten on, my '79 is on her 4th engine (that I know of) they lived wild, colorful lives before I had them, so now, they have earned the right to be treated gently. If I ever race a car, it'll have to be something I just don't give a damn about......not one of my babies. I saw a video on Youtube of a beautiful 1st gen Camaro getting just absolutely destroyed, it flipped over a guardrail, and was utterly demolished. It takes only a few seconds to lose one forever. No amount of "pissing contests" could ever convince me to risk one. I guess I'm just saying......give the "elders" a little respect, lol!

Voodoo Chick
04-04-2009, 12:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8UsbLh5LY here's the video......it's awful....:(

TheRX7Project
04-04-2009, 07:39 AM
But that's half the fun of it. Racing is what fuels my desire for my car, and it will be raced once it's ready.

lordairgtar
04-04-2009, 11:14 AM
I just wanna tell you people that all types of cars are welcome at my Thursday night cruise night, as long as the coolness factor is there. I know some of the old farts will complain, but my job is to bring potential customers to the business as well as provide the music. Jetz in Muskego starting mid May

Voodoo Chick
04-04-2009, 11:38 AM
But that's half the fun of it. Racing is what fuels my desire for my car, and it will be raced once it's ready.

I'm psycho about my cars, though....."Sentimentally attached" doesn't even begin to cover it.......If something happened to them, I'd end up in an asylum.

SSLEVO
04-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm psycho about my cars, though....."Sentimentally attached" doesn't even begin to cover it.......If something happened to them, I'd end up in an asylum.

Well that explain things, i've never came across a person who covets a 2nd gen like you do, haha :thumbsup

Ricky Bobby
04-04-2009, 12:40 PM
wow if its a sports car race it beat it do whatever dont drive it like its a fru fru pile of shit.

Voodoo Chick
04-04-2009, 12:44 PM
wow if its a sports car race it beat it do whatever dont drive it like its a fru fru pile of shit.

Hey,now....I have my reasons, they are a bit personal, and besides......the one whose name is on the title gets to decide how it's driven......:thumbsup

Voodoo Chick
04-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Well that explain things, i've never came across a person who covets a 2nd gen like you do, haha :thumbsup

Oh...covet isn't even an intense enough word......obsessed, madly in love with....that kinda comes closer, lol.......I have many, many reasons, none of which would make sense typed out.....Ever see the "Lord of the Rings" movies?? Remember Gollum with his "Precioussss?" That's me....about my cars!! :durr :rolf

Ricky Bobby
04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey,now....I have my reasons, they are a bit personal, and besides......the one whose name is on the title gets to decide how it's driven......:thumbsup

just sayin if its a sport car it was built with one thing in mind not to be called sally and driven to church on sun. :durr

Voodoo Chick
04-04-2009, 10:26 PM
just sayin if its a sport car it was built with one thing in mind not to be called sally and driven to church on sun. :durr

Well, you see......A few years back, I damn near wrecked one of my cars. It took alot of time, money, effort, tears, and blood to bring her back from that accident, and I realized that driving like a maniac isn't the best idea for me. I love my cars, and feel it's stupid to risk them by trying to "prove" something. Besides, I paid for her, my name is on her title, and if I want to call her sally and drive her to church it's my ***damn choice. If someone disagrees, they can smash their sports/muscle car up.....I choose to keep mine safe.