PDA

View Full Version : Extended Auto Warranty scam

94greenbandit
03-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Got a call about my wifes car needing an extended warranty. I figured it was a scam once they started asking for my VIN. I did a reverse lookup on the number he was calling me from and it didn't even come back as a business just some family. I put the guy on hold and tried calling the number and it came back disconnected. He told me he was from US Warranty Division(doesn't exist). I did find a National Warranty Division though. He also he told me he was in California. I told him I couldn't make a decision without consulting with my wife first and he just kept lowering the price on the policy, told him I could call him tonight after I talked to my wife and he said he doesn't have an extension he is part of just an outbound call center.

I already called the FTC and am waiting for the Atty Gen office to call me back.

animal
03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Fuck 3rd party extended warranties. I'd only get one from the manufacturer if I was ever going to get one at all.

94greenbandit
03-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah they just tried calling me again. This time it was someone else. I tried getting the address or their supposed business and she told me that was private. I told her that she is a business and it is not private that they have to make that public

Waver
03-31-2009, 01:46 PM
dude, it is a scam, they did somthing on this one of the news shows...I get these calls a lot for what ever reason....Says that the manufacturer warranty on my vehicle is about to expire......well I have an 04 with now 41k on (past the year and mileage for the manufactures) and a 97 with 168k on it.......um yeah that ones warranty is about to expire lol

animal
03-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Just tell them you traded the car in, then to eat a dick, then hang up :)

88Nightmare
03-31-2009, 02:22 PM
its still fun to string them along a little bit

94greenbandit
03-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Well I am on their no call list now. Wondering if the chucklehead will even call me back tomorrow like he said he would

DirtyMax
03-31-2009, 03:25 PM
I usually just hang up but one time they caught me in the garage working on my golf cart so I gave them the VIN number to that. It took them a while to ask what the heck I gave them the VIN to? Then I acted really pissed when they wouldn't give me a quote on an extended warranty for my 1981 Yamaha Golf Cart... :devil

Nick
03-31-2009, 03:32 PM
They called my friend. Tried to get him to spend 3k on an extended warranty to 60k miles or something.

animal
03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
yeah, then basically they try to jew you out of paying for warranty work, especially on performance cars saying they were abused.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
they are annoying.

That_Guy
03-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Got a call about my wifes car needing an extended warranty. I figured it was a scam once they started asking for my VIN. I did a reverse lookup on the number he was calling me from and it didn't even come back as a business just some family. I put the guy on hold and tried calling the number and it came back disconnected. He told me he was from US Warranty Division(doesn't exist). I did find a National Warranty Division though. He also he told me he was in California. I told him I couldn't make a decision without consulting with my wife first and he just kept lowering the price on the policy, told him I could call him tonight after I talked to my wife and he said he doesn't have an extension he is part of just an outbound call center.

I already called the FTC and am waiting for the Atty Gen office to call me back.

i have been getting phone calls from this same company for the last month finally got the chance to answer the phone about a weak ago and told the guy to get fucked and not call anymore.. they asked for my vin and a bunch of other crazy shit.

Burgandy85SS
03-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Whats kinda screwd up about this is my mom gets calls about the warranty on her car about to expire and its a 1996. Been out odf warranty for quite sometime

Waver
03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Whats kinda screwd up about this is my mom gets calls about the warranty on her car about to expire and its a 1996. Been out odf warranty for quite sometime

same thing...what they do is they get peoples phone numbers off of current registrations and renewals.....I told them twice not to call me as I already had an extended warranty on the one car and I done want one on the other....they just keep calling.........

DirtyMax
03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Tell them it's a cell phone they are reaching you on. I am pretty sure they have to stop.

Use this too just in case:
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Car Guy
03-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Someone I know just got screwed out of $1300 due to one of these scams out of CA; they called him out of the blue offering the 'service', charged his card immediately after he agreed, and then 'went out of business' a few weeks later never to be found again......:rolleyes: :punch:

I usually just hang up but one time they caught me in the garage working on my golf cart so I gave them the VIN number to that. It took them a while to ask what the heck I gave them the VIN to? Then I acted really pissed when they wouldn't give me a quote on an extended warranty for my 1981 Yamaha Golf Cart... :devil

That's great, I love fuck!ng with worthless pieces of sh!t like that.....:headbang

Reverend Cooper
03-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Fuck 3rd party extended warranties. I'd only get one from the manufacturer if I was ever going to get one at all.

absolutely correct sir

94greenbandit
03-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Someone I know just got screwed out of $1300 due to one of these scams out of CA;

The two idiots I talked to said they were from CA. I just wish I knew how they did it.

The two numbers that they supposedly called me from were disconnected whn I tried to call them. How do they get a national list of numbers that are disconnected and how is it they can propogate it to show up as the number they are calling from.