PDA

View Full Version : Need info....

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 12:50 AM
Hey.....I need info about a carb I might buy from a friend, but I can't find it, and I am sick to death of "Googling" for info. Anyone here have any info on a Quadrajet carb, code is 17080212.....I just want to know what it originally came off of, it's age, etc. Thanks.

-stew-
03-31-2009, 01:11 AM
It took me less than three minutes to find out the: year, make, if it is federal/california/high altitude, and if it came off an auto or manual transmission vehicle.

-stew-
03-31-2009, 01:13 AM
http://tinyurl.com/cbdbzt

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 01:31 AM
You know something, I don't know if you're kidding around or honestly being a jerk. I can't tell. If you're kidding around, ha-ha, funny......if you're really trying to be a tool, stop it. I don't know you, you don't know me, so.....enough. I do need the info, however, and I was hoping to find someone here who might have hands-on experience with this particular part. If you don't have useful info, go bother someone else. This whole situation with this carb is getting to be a big PITA. Like I said, if you're just joking, I don't mean to snarl at you, but ever have one of those situations with a car that just drives you completely F***ING CRAZY?? Well.....I'm there right now.

indyzmike
03-31-2009, 02:16 AM
Looks like it is from a 1980 454 truck.

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 02:22 AM
Looks like it is from a 1980 454 truck.

Maybe a stupid question, but will it be compatible with an Olds 455?

SSDude
03-31-2009, 05:31 AM
That can all depend on several things.

If your looking for a stock bolt up and go set up. What year is the olds?
Do the carb and car have the proper electrical connectors? In the late 70's they started putting electrical crap on them.
Does your fuel line come in from the front or from the passenger side?
Cfm and jetting should be about the same considering engine size is close.
Does the engine produce good vacuum? Quads primary's are controld by vacuum.

Sparkyscarbs.com in town here can be a big help. He specializes in quads and will know the detailed answers if you need more info.

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
That can all depend on several things.

If your looking for a stock bolt up and go set up. What year is the olds?
Do the carb and car have the proper electrical connectors? In the late 70's they started putting electrical crap on them.
Does your fuel line come in from the front or from the passenger side?
Cfm and jetting should be about the same considering engine size is close.
Does the engine produce good vacuum? Quads primary's are controld by vacuum.
Sparkyscarbs.com in town here can be a big help. He specializes in quads and will know the detailed answers if you need more info.

Olds is from 1973, carb is from 1980......both carbs have the fuel line in same location.....engine has good vacuum....as far as electrical, I have no idea, and this is what is worrying me....and yeah, I'm looking for a stock set up, nothing modded or crazy.....

indyzmike
03-31-2009, 11:00 AM
The only thing electric on that carb would be the choke heater coil if it has that option. The computer carbs started on cars in 81. The carb should work fine on the olds motor just the way it is, that is, if it is a good working carb to begin with. The Q-jet carbs can be harder to adjust than a Holley, and finding tuning parts locally can be a challenge too. When they work good, they are a desirable carb for the street on a low mod or stock engine, especially when gas is near $4.00/ gallon. Bolt it on and try it out. If it needs some tuning it should not be too hard to figure it out or find someone who can.
Be carefull with the fine threads on the big nut that holds the fuel filter in, they can strip out if you tighten them too tight. Also, Mercury Marine dealers have the white nylon screen fuel filters to fit in the carb. They filter better and flow better than the paper or sintered bronze filters.

GRNDNL
03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Whats wrong with the carb thats on it now?..........

wrath
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Do you have a picture of it? You can get most of the information from the number on the float bowl. You can identify them physically also. Most people want a 74 and newer non-APT carb.

There were two different body sizes for the quadrajet also. You'd want the bigblock one I assume (I don't know anything about oldsmobiles) so the primaries are larger.

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 12:10 PM
Whats wrong with the carb thats on it now?..........

That's just it.....I don't know. I am clueless with Q-jets, and I am starting to think there's a really good possibility there's nothing wrong with the carb, it just needs a tuning, and I think alot of what is happening to it might be my own stupid fault.....See, here's the problem: The engine floods at the drop of a hat upon start up, then idles weird, then stalls. Then, the car won't start back up, due to the flooding. I think it's my fault the flooding is occurring, though, because I might be giving the car too much gas when I try to start her. I'm going to try to start her tomorrow, when the weather is a little better, and see what happens, of course, after the spark plugs have been changed. I have heard that the "one good pump then turn the key" method might be enough to flood a Q-jet, and maybe just a light tap of the gas is really all I need to do. The car ran fine all last summer, though, so I really think maybe it's "idiot driver syndrome" rather than messed-up carb............

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Do you have a picture of it? You can get most of the information from the number on the float bowl. You can identify them physically also. Most people want a 74 and newer non-APT carb.

There were two different body sizes for the quadrajet also. You'd want the bigblock one I assume (I don't know anything about oldsmobiles) so the primaries are larger.

No pics of it, but it is a 1980 model, off a 454, part # 17080212......the one currently on the car is the one she was built with.

DR.FORD
03-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Take the carb off and bring it to me-I've worked on 1 or 2 of them:rolf
Call Dan at Napa 762-6272 and get a kit in case of gasket tearing or needle-seat replacement. I'm sure I can make it right.
Keep the original carb on the car. If you need a carb(which I doubt) John at Rocket Racing has an abundance of Olds stuff- He is a good guy and I send him work on a regular basis.

DR.FORD
03-31-2009, 12:21 PM
That's just it.....I don't know. I am clueless with Q-jets, and I am starting to think there's a really good possibility there's nothing wrong with the carb, it just needs a tuning, and I think alot of what is happening to it might be my own stupid fault.....See, here's the problem: The engine floods at the drop of a hat upon start up, then idles weird, then stalls. Then, the car won't start back up, due to the flooding. I think it's my fault the flooding is occurring, though, because I might be giving the car too much gas when I try to start her. I'm going to try to start her tomorrow, when the weather is a little better, and see what happens, of course, after the spark plugs have been changed. I have heard that the "one good pump then turn the key" method might be enough to flood a Q-jet, and maybe just a light tap of the gas is really all I need to do. The car ran fine all last summer, though, so I really think maybe it's "idiot driver syndrome" rather than messed-up carb............

One pump should not flood the engine...especially in colder weather

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
One pump should not flood the engine...especially in colder weather

So it might legitemately be the carb, and not just my error? I think the car is probably ready to run me (and all the Q-jets) over in the parking lot.....

indyzmike
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a bad choke pull-off to me. Try to start the car, and if it starts, make sure the choke pulls open about 1/4 inch or so. If not, it's the pull-off. I would hate to pull the carb off if it is something this simple. I agree with keeping the original carb.

wrath
03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Electric fuel pump or mechanical?

If the accelerator pump rod is on the inner hole in the arm then it only takes two pumps to empty the float bowl if you have a good seal. That's like 50cc of gas, which is a lot. If someone along the way lopped off the accelerator pump rod it's even more gas.

Even in zero degree weather 50cc of fuel dumped in the plenum is plenty.

If the engine is cold you can tell if it's actually flooded by taking the air cleaner off and looking down the secondaries and seeing if there is fuel puddled in the bottom. Wet is pretty normal on a cold engine, puddling is not.

I'm leaning towards it being a choke problem going by the symptoms. Since this is probably one of those illustrious choke-coil-on-the-intake quadrajets the choke is probably suffocating the engine. The choke butterfly should be about 1/8" to 3/16" open or else it won't get enough air, especially on a bigblock. Right now it probably starts for 5-15 seconds then dies and is hard to start. Then you do it again. And again. Then it finally runs. This is due to the choke finally starting to get enough heat to open.

GRNDNL
03-31-2009, 01:50 PM
If its got a foam float reformulated fuel can make it swell and the float will rub on the side of the bowl, sometimes it will work fine then other times it will flood or run out of fuel........

DR.FORD
03-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Sounds like a bad choke pull-off to me. Try to start the car, and if it starts, make sure the choke pulls open about 1/4 inch or so. If not, it's the pull-off. I would hate to pull the carb off if it is something this simple. I agree with keeping the original carb.

If it floods on a shot or two of pump shot, I think it may not be the choke pull-off,but maybe I am reading it wrong.
I am way better in the shop finding and correcting a problem than being a keyboard mechanic!

DR.FORD
03-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Also being this is your baby and do not run-drive it on a regular basis, it then sits. It could have picked up a piece of crap and it is in the needle&seat area. The life of todays fuel is about 1 month, then it turns to crap-so how long has the fuel been in the tank? Crap in the bowl of the carb can be disturbed and hold the needle off of the seat.
Like was said, if it starts then chugs and dies, then is flooded, it may be the choke pull-off. Try a cloths pin on the choke flap as to hold it open some and see if it persists. We'll go from there.

indyzmike
03-31-2009, 03:42 PM
If it floods on a shot or two of pump shot, I think it may not be the choke pull-off,but maybe I am reading it wrong.
I am way better in the shop finding and correcting a problem than being a keyboard mechanic!

I agree 100%. I am also way better at finding and correcting a problem while having the vehicle to work on. It would depend on how far she wants to go with this. If she wants to remove the carb and have it dissassembled, cleaned, possibly repaired and upgraded, and reinstalled, that would be the best way to go. She might only want some suggestions to try and troubleshoot it before removing it from the engine. I was not pissing on your suggestion, just tossing out another option. You do this stuff for a living(and damn good at it). I don't. :thumbsup Could you give me a little more credit than "keyboard mechanic"? :goof

DR.FORD
03-31-2009, 04:02 PM
I agree 100%. I am also way better at finding and correcting a problem while having the vehicle to work on. It would depend on how far she wants to go with this. If she wants to remove the carb and have it dissassembled, cleaned, possibly repaired and upgraded, and reinstalled, that would be the best way to go. She might only want some suggestions to try and troubleshoot it before removing it from the engine. I was not pissing on your suggestion, just tossing out another option. You do this stuff for a living(and damn good at it). I don't. :thumbsup Could you give me a little more credit than "keyboard mechanic"? :goof

I was making fun of myself, not you. If you saw me type you would understand!!:thumbsup

Voodoo Chick
03-31-2009, 04:25 PM
The gas was VERY fresh, like a few days old........It is one of those hot air chokes....that choke has been a big problem in the past, and this carb was completely disassembled, rebuilt last year, and ran fine all last year......I REALLY appreciate all the advice and suggestions from all of you, it is very, very helpful... Tomorrow if the weather is dry, I'm going to attempt to start her, and see what happens. I am hoping very, very much that it was just my stupidity that made her not run, and not the carb being bad.....I'll keep my fingers crossed, lol!

Voodoo Chick
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Was NOT the carb causing the problems....it was a bad fuel pump, a few bad vac. lines, and a much-needed tune-up. $300 later, she's all better, lol..........