PDA

View Full Version : Batteries ? What's good and where to get em ?

DynoTom
03-29-2009, 08:47 PM
My Excursion needs new batteries .....It's a Diesel so it takes 2 batteries and I was wondering what brand batteries you like and place you get your batteries from ?

I have NOT had good luck with Autozone batteries ( this is the second pair to go bad in my Excursion from them in 2 years ) so I thought you people might know of some good batteries and places that sell them ?

Thanks for any help on this....

03CVLX
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
I typically go straight to Remy Battery on the corner of 43rd & Lincoln. They got multiple different brands in stock or orderable. Not exactly up to speed on what the good brands are these days though.

88Nightmare
03-29-2009, 09:02 PM
two optima yellow tops and you will be set for a long long time

BigSnailBuick
03-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Not just because they look cool or have a high price tag but Optimas OWN... Funny story of why i will never use anything else if I have the scratch....6 YEARS ago a friend had a yellow top optima in the corner of his garage..I asked him why its there and he said it wont hold a charge its junk take it... I brought it home put it on slowcharge for a few days and then put it in my first eclipse ever with a huge stereo.... long story short...it has been in 5 cars from drag racing rides----> daily drivers----> old mans porsche----> and all winter long in his landrover. It has NEVER died once not even on the worse winter days. What a free 180 dollar battery :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Edit: Lol i was writing this as he posted that^^^^ its no joke you will never need a batt again

Car Guy
03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
I honestly don't know of one battery brand that has had nothing but glowing reviews, seems like one of the hardest subjects to get solid info on. Just last fall I finally got rid of a 10 year old Remy battery in our year round DD Taurus, and then I also had an 'el cheapo' FnF battery that lasted 9 years. With that said I have had an Optima, Exide 'Gel', and one other higher end battery go bad long before they should have......

jbiscuit
03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I have had good luck with my Napa Gold battery. I have bought them in the past for previous cars with the same results

Karps TA
03-29-2009, 09:34 PM
My Yellow top Optima lasted about 16 months. Then was shot. The pro-rated warranty on the yellow top netted me a whole $14 towards a replacement. I must have just got a bad one.

Went with a Red top this time cause the warranty is much much better. 36 month replacement + 36 month pro rated compared to the yellow, 12 +12.

TURTLE
03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
if you got an autozone battery 2 years ago, shouldn't it still have a warranty on it? i have had mixed luck with batteries, as the stock one in my 2002 lasted up until the fall of 07, and the little gel cell that i have in my 97 is still working like new(even though it's a 275cca battery for a jet ski, lol)

shoooo32
03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
The cobra was eating a battery every few months until dad figured out vibration was busting the plates inside. (bolting a walmart special to the frame will do that apparently) Anyway we solved the problem with a dry cell from Odyssey, which has held up fairly well for the last two summers and only cost a few bucks more than a red top optima.
http://www.batteriesplus.com/images/Product/medium/28975.jpg

nitrous
03-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I've been running Duralast Golds in my truck for a couple years now. Better CCA than Optima and cost less for both than one Optima Yellow.

letsrunem
03-30-2009, 12:44 AM
An Optima red top lasted me all of a year and a half, I'd never buy one again. Walmart has been good though.

wrath
03-30-2009, 09:43 AM
I run two wally-world yellow Neverstarts in my mud truck. They're bolted to the frame under the passenger side of the cabin. Been submersed hundreds of times and has hundreds of miles of 44" TSLs vibrating the shit out of them at 60mph. They've also got quite a few pulls of a 6.5hp winch on them. One of them is 4 years old and one is 2 years old. They're dual post and I don't think walmart sells them anymore.

I have an Advance Auto gold battery that has treated me well also. I even burned the side post right out of the battery pulling too much current (stalled said 6.5hp winch after a 5+ minute pull). Still works using the top posts, but it's probably 5 years old now.

All batteries I've bought in the last three years, with the exception of my last yeller neverstart, have been junk. That includes walmart and the various advance auto flavors. What I'm saying is find a good warranty and keep your receipt.

CannotPost
03-30-2009, 09:52 AM
An Optima red top lasted me all of a year and a half, I'd never buy one again. Walmart has been good though.

Meh, I have had my yellow top optima for 5 years without any problems.
Seems like they are kind of hit or miss?

Plum Crazy
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
i use interstate, never had a problem replaced the AC delco in my 01 Grand prix in 04 and its still in there, same with my ram.

Feature Pony
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Optima red top in the superbee since 99 its 10 years. Watch this summer it will fail. LOL

88Nightmare
03-30-2009, 01:11 PM
ironically, even though I like the optimas, I still have an autozone battery in my truck. it works just fine. Its only about 6 months old though :D

That_Guy
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Not just because they look cool or have a high price tag but Optimas OWN... Funny story of why i will never use anything else if I have the scratch....6 YEARS ago a friend had a yellow top optima in the corner of his garage..I asked him why its there and he said it wont hold a charge its junk take it... I brought it home put it on slowcharge for a few days and then put it in my first eclipse ever with a huge stereo.... long story short...it has been in 5 cars from drag racing rides----> daily drivers----> old mans porsche----> and all winter long in his landrover. It has NEVER died once not even on the worse winter days. What a free 180 dollar battery :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Edit: Lol i was writing this as he posted that^^^^ its no joke you will never need a batt again

my pops has 2 of them in his duramax they are fucking awesome.. when my factory battery goes that will be my replacement.

A B4C Z
03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
optimas have been bad luck with me. I love the farm n fleet batterys!

Car Guy
03-30-2009, 07:06 PM
See what I mean..!!! :goof

Flicktitty
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
NEverstart batteries from Wal-Mart are junk.

i've had good experiance with Optimia's in the past, but i heard they recently (last few years) sold out to someone else and the qualitiy has gone down hill and some of the people from Optimia started up the oddessy batteries which seems to be pretty good.