PDA

View Full Version : Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

Adam Brooks
03-27-2009, 07:01 AM
From here (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.18e9e5692442aa61d7510553b5ffc14 e.e01&show_article=1)
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.18e9e5692442aa61d7510553b5ffc14 e.e01&show_article=1

President Barack Obama's intelligence chief confirmed Thursday that some Guantanamo inmates may be released on US soil and receive assistance to return to society. "If we are to release them in the United States, we need some sort of assistance for them to start a new life," said National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair at his first press conference.
"You can't just put them on the street," he added. "All that is work in progress."

Obama has vowed to close the controversial prison camp by next January and has ordered individual reviews for cases against each of the over 240 remaining prisoners.
Blair told reporters that the review of Guantanamo cases was still underway, and that the government was "building dossiers on each of the detainees."
The Obama administration is currently evaluating what could be done with the prisoners, he said, but pledged that if they are sent to another country, "we have to be sure that that country will treat them in a humane fashion."
Twenty men detained at the remote US naval base at Guantanamo Bay in southern Cuba have been cleared of terrorism charges, including 17 Chinese Uighurs ordered released by a US court in June, seven years after their arrest. But the US says they may face persecution if returned to China.
In an executive order signed days after he took office in January, Obama also promised to uphold the Geneva Conventions for the remaining prisoners until the detention center is closed.
Blair touched on the controversial interrogation techniques used on terror suspects under the administration of president George W. Bush, saying that those methods -- including waterboarding, or simulated drowning -- would not be used under his tenure.
But Blair, a retired US admiral, added that his team was examining other "enhanced interrogation techniques" for high-value detainees that comply with international conventions on prisoners of war.
He did not elaborate on what methods would be used, but said such interrogations should be carried out by "government employees; they shouldn't be contractors; they should be highly trained, very supervised."

animal
03-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Hopefully they'll just give a list of these people and their whereabouts so society can help "assist" them. Ha!

Voodoo Chick
03-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Hopefully they'll just give a list of these people and their whereabouts so society can help "assist" them. Ha!

Yeah, X's 2.......I'm sure there are quite a few people more than willing to "assist."

tommyt5078
03-27-2009, 11:48 AM

F-ing funny man.....................GREAT IDEA !!!!!!

That_Guy
03-27-2009, 12:05 PM

i would gladly give them a pat on the back that would cause them to fall down a flight of stairs..

animal
03-27-2009, 01:27 PM
i would gladly give them a pat on the back that would cause them to fall down a flight of stairs..

I'm sure you'd be a pretty mild case :) :devil

That_Guy
03-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm sure you'd be a pretty mild case :) :devil
lol... what some people call nightmares i call sweet dreams :D

VroomPshhTsi
03-27-2009, 05:12 PM
"Twenty men detained at the remote US naval base at Guantanamo Bay in southern Cuba have been cleared of terrorism charges, including 17 Chinese Uighurs ordered released by a US court in June, seven years after their arrest."

I'm all for torture devices and making a living hell for those guilty of crimes against this country. But there are plenty of people held there that are innocent. So the above 17 people have been held there for SEVEN YEARS and are now found innocent. How would you like to be held for 7 years against your will and stripped of all rights even if you are innocent? Put yourself in others shoes before you judge.

Plum Crazy
03-27-2009, 05:25 PM
shit, let em come to the US, they wouldnt survive, theyd say the wrong thing to the wrong person and get fucked up.

Prince Valiant
03-27-2009, 06:56 PM
"Twenty men detained at the remote US naval base at Guantanamo Bay in southern Cuba have been cleared of terrorism charges, including 17 Chinese Uighurs ordered released by a US court in June, seven years after their arrest."
While a couple people certainly may in fact simply be individuals who were "in the wrong place at the wrong time," it's wrong to assume that these particular individuals were "innocent."

While they may not have been guilty of terrorism charges against the US, there is a reason why they were where they were. It wasn't to learn how to crochet.

While they were held for sometime after it was determined that they were no threat to the U.S., there was little choice of what to do with these individuals. To be released to their home country of china -of whom they ARE a threat to- means certain death....while a number of other countries turned down asylum for these individuals (why? aren't they soooo innocent?!?). These are individuals turned down by the likes of such mecca's of tolerance like finland, sweden, switzerland....even the likes of Turkey and various latin america countries.

There is a reason these guys haven't been a accepted for asylum here, or elsewhere...there situation seems unfortunate simply because the only one willing to take them is sure to kill them. For them, there has been no easy answer of what to do with them.

ND4SPD
03-27-2009, 06:59 PM
This is why we can't send them back to China...

At the end of the war in 1945, they surrendered to the British Army in Allied-administered Austria, hoping to join the British to fight Communism. There was little sympathy at the time for a group who were seen as Nazi collaborators and who were reported to have committed atrocities against resistance fighters in Eastern Europe. They were accordingly handed over to the Soviet Government. At the end of the war, British commanders repatriated between 40 to 50 thousand Cossacks, including their families, to the Soviet Union. An unknown number were subsequently executed or imprisoned. Reportedly, many of those punished had never been Soviet citizens. This episode is widely known as the Betrayal of the Cossacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossack

We don't need a "Betrayal of the Uighurs"

VroomPshhTsi
03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Prince - I'm only defending those that were in the wrong place at the wrong time. How many of those 200+ in Guantanamo are those people? Who knows. I'm just saying that if we can't come up with hard evidence against these guys after having them for 7 years, there's a good chance they were innocent.

Prince Valiant
03-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Prince - I'm only defending those that were in the wrong place at the wrong time. How many of those 200+ in Guantanamo are those people? Who knows. I'm just saying that if we can't come up with hard evidence against these guys after having them for 7 years, there's a good chance they were innocent.There might be one or two....

Here's the thing: You ask about hard evidence? We actually have evidence against these guys...

Why haven't you seen the evidence? The evidence itself, and the methods of obtaining them are secret. Hence the need for military tribunals, which protect from allowing too much secrecy to leak, or the methods of how we obtain the evidence from becoming known thus driving the terrorist that continue to operate further underground, and far more difficult to follow, thus leaving us less protected. THIS is why secrecy is needed. THIS is why we don't treat them like we would criminals in the US court system where it would all be public.

This is why some are critical of outlets like the new york times when they reported on some inside info they received that we had obtained the info on many, if not most of al-qaeda's satellite phones and could therefore listen in to their conversations....and once it appeared in the paper, *poof* all communications had virtually ceased. They could no longer easily follow their communications. Sure that reporting made us safer...particularly the guys searching for him :rolleyes:

We have evidence, enough to determine even of those 17 guys that while they aren't innocent, they can't be charged of terrorism against the US. And those couple guys who may have "just been in the wrong place at the wrong time?" Again, Afghanistan doesn't want them. Pakistan doesn't want them. We don't want them. Only one country does, china...and they want them so they can kill them. This is likewise true of those couple chinese muslims who were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

So what do you do? Where do you put them? Guantanamo is perhaps the only place they can be held given the circumstances they put themselves in.

As for the virtually all 200 of the guys at Guantanamo are there for very good reasons. They don't just put anybody there. There are plenty of other locations they could go with enemy combatants...it takes special reasons for them to ship you half-way around the world to Guantanamo. I know many would love to know why they are there, but given the nature of how they have to operate to continue to track those who wish to cause us and others harm, i understand why they also need to keep it secret.

Frankly, people who refuse to accept that are simply being unrealistic idealist.

Yooformula
03-27-2009, 10:46 PM
I would think there was a reason why they were all there in the first place. We didnt just pluck some tan skinned guy off the street for no reason....sure they may be cleared NOW after giving up what little or much info they had to give but again, we must have had something on them to pick them up in the first place, no matter how big or small it was. I'd say let em go back to China..great way for Hillary to make friends with them!lol

Coops Brother
03-28-2009, 07:05 AM
I say put them back where we found them, then they can make a choice on their own. They can stay where they are and continue whatever activity earned them a vacation in Cuba, or go back to their homes having learned somthing from their vacation, chalking it up to experience.

Reverend Cooper
03-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Plain and simple,unfortunately Obama is setting us up for another terror attack just like Clinton did. Then when it happens it will be because of Bush somehow.You folks that voted for this guy better start opening your eyes to this bullshit. We as a country are getting more fucked everyday. 4 times the defecit,opening the borders,letting terrorists go,removing ourselves from the middle east and last the assault weapons ban you know is coming. Fuck we won't even be able to defend ourselves against a outside source let alone against our own government if needed.
I stockpile now.