PDA

View Full Version : New Rider - First Bike?

VroomPshhTsi
03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I've been on a few motorcycle forums reading up on what a new rider should know and their first bike. It always seems to come down to "a 250cc is fine, anything more and you will kill yourself" vs. "I started with a gsxr1000 and I'm doing just fine, it's all about control."

So my question is, what would you buy for a first bike? I am looking for a sport bike. A lot of people are saying the '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 is a perfect starter bike but I'm concerned I'd get bored with it relatively fast (500 instead?). At the same time, I don't think I want a 100 hp bike (GSXR600+, CBR600+).

Another thing I read is weight. The faster bikes are about 100 lbs. bigger and thus are harder to ride on for first riders. Is this true? I'm 5'9" 155 lbs. so how much more difficult is a 400+ pound bike vs. a 300+ pound bike?

Thoughts? Opinions?

moels
03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Everyone has their opinions on this subject. For a first bike, I would suggest a midsize ( 600cc ) sportbike. Take a riders safety course and get use to riding on their bikes if they let you use one. ( The one they use to give here in Port used Rebel 250's I believe.) You being 155lbs. should easily be able to handle the weight of a 600 once you get use to being on a bike. My first street bike in highschool was a FZR600 and I was about your size or even a bit lighter. My opinion is exactly what you already stated, and that is you would quickly get bored with a 250 and want to upgrade right away. Remember, the bike only goes as fast and as quick as you want it to.

BoosTT
03-25-2009, 10:07 PM
MSF first, then 600cc and lots of good gear is what I'm doing. I've ridden other stuff, just not a road bike, and everyone says a 250 is only good for 2 months max. I'll let you know if it was a mistake!!

RanJer
03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
My first bike was a 93 F2 (600). I'm about 5'10/160lbs and it was just fine. The older bikes are a little heavier but when you're riding it's no issue. Just don't let it fall over on ya. Had a early 90s Katana tip over on me and it was hell to try to get it back up by myself.

Like everyones said, MSF first, but then I'd go ahead with a 600 and I'd say you should be fine.

xFullThrottlex
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Whats up Brian?

I'm still content with my vtr250. In fact there's a saying that states it's funner to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow-- and I really believe theres some truth to that. I've riden the new ninja 250r and was pretty impressed. Honestly, as long as it's under a liter I think you'll be fine. If you need any pointers or help checking out a bike i'm four houses away(and no this isn't paul!) Take care man.

loud91rs
03-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree with everybody with taking the riders course, and then buying something like a 600 (if you want a sport bike at all) You will get bored of a 250 or 500 very quickly if you are intending on getting a 600+ later. If you are content with something like that however, which there is nothing wrong with that, that will be fine for you. Otherwise any cruiser or standard type would be fine too, but weigh a lot more.

WickedSix
03-26-2009, 12:29 PM
I went with a sv650 for my first and it was very manageable but still had alot of fun with it. Its like anything you'll always want something bigger badder and faster eventually. For the price I dont think u can go wrong with the sporty little suzuki v-twin :thumbsup

xFullThrottlex
03-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree with everybody with taking the riders course, and then buying something like a 600 (if you want a sport bike at all) You will get bored of a 250 or 500 very quickly if you are intending on getting a 600+ later. If you are content with something like that however, which there is nothing wrong with that, that will be fine for you. Otherwise any cruiser or standard type would be fine too, but weigh a lot more.

Yeah I agree with you, sometimes I wish I would have went big right off the bat, but $100 a year for full coverage insurance, a dohc liquid cooled 250 with a six speed trans, and $6 a week in gas (70-80mpg) really keep me interested in the honda. Eventually, I'll get a larger bike... But i't wont be a priority for some time (I've got a lot of money I still have to spend on my projects, daily, school, and eventually a house:headbang)

07ROUSHSTG3
03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
my first bike was a CBR 600...........i crashed it less than 2 miles from where I bought it, LOL!

pOrk
03-26-2009, 01:18 PM
What kinda riding do you plan on doing? Get an SV650 if you plan on putting on some miles, or a gsxr 600 if you plan on bombing around town with the locals. I really miss my TL1000, super comfortable bike that I could ride to indiana and back w/o a sore back and it had a ton of torque for bombing around town.

pOrk
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh yea, I upgraded to a GSXR 1000 and loved it for a week, but became bored with it real fast since you can't use half of the power on the street anyways. A 1000cc litre bike is just plain dumb unless you plan on doing track days.

xFullThrottlex
03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Oh yea, I upgraded to a GSXR 1000 and loved it for a week, but became bored with it real fast since you can't use half of the power on the street anyways. A 1000cc litre bike is just plain dumb unless you plan on doing track days.

"it's funner to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow:headbang"

xFullThrottlex
03-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Also, not to threadjack, but pOrk did you get my pm??

Breecher_7
03-26-2009, 03:50 PM

This is very true Eric. But I will still always tell people to buy a 1000cc bike from the get go. You will never outgrow it and as long as you respect it, its no different then a 250. Other then the fact that it will ride better.....

250, 500, 600, 750, 1000+ its all in the throttle.

But as far as a 1000cc being useless on the street, thats an understatment, for most there worthless on a track as well. It takes some big balls and the willingness to fuck yourself up to push those bikes. Ive wrecked 10+ times on the track due to my own stupidity in the last 10 years. You start to disrespect that bike and take advantage of it, it will whoop your ass...

Just remember, if you dont wreck it, your not riding it hard enough! You have to find your and the bikes limits! Only one way to do that, You will know when you found it when your sliding across the asphalt!!! :rolf

SSLEVO
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I think a used 600 is perfect, maybe in the 95-00 range. They have enough power that you won't get bored but are manageable. A 1000 to start on, no way. My 10 year old r6 wheelies in 1st just going wot. I don't think you need to be learning on a bike that will power up the wheel in 2nd or 3rd, lol. sure you don't have to use the power but any guy that rides for 100 miles and "got the hang of it" will want to see what it has, thats where you get into trouble.

BigSnailBuick
03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
I dont think you need to be concerned with the weight of any sportbike cept maybe a busa or zx-14...I learned how to ride round my neighborhood on a harley bagger lol so the first time i rode my buddies 600rr it felt like a plastic toy :goof

Junky Giorgio
03-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I'd stay away from the old school carburetor bikes. Go with something fuel injected which I believe just started around 2001 in the sport bike scene.

Just a fyi, my '02 Suzuki GSX-R600 is still for sale :shades

claimsman
03-26-2009, 11:33 PM
600 is best, my first bike was a YZF600 plenty of power, easy handling, good ride and I am a bigger guy so it worked great for me. I would definately start with a sport bike.

SSLEVO
03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
I'd stay away from the old school carburetor bikes. Go with something fuel injected which I believe just started around 2001 in the sport bike scene.

Just a fyi, my '02 Suzuki GSX-R600 is still for sale :shades

Haha, carbs work just fine. My bike starts within 2 seconds weather its 40 or 100 degrees. If it doesn't, there is some thing wrong with it.

Junky Giorgio
03-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Yes carb bikes run just fine, but tend to need more tedious maintenance than a fuel injected bike. Trust me I know, I've raced CBR600 F2's/F3's etc. My very 1st bike was actually a '91 Yamaha FZR 600 that was pearl white/red. I had it my senior year in high school. After that, I moved onto Honda's F2's and F3's which I had a few of.

-stew-
03-27-2009, 12:43 AM
A 1000cc litre bike is just plain dumb unless you plan on doing track days.

Eat schit.

Haha, carbs work just fine. My bike starts within 2 seconds weather its 40 or 100 degrees. If it doesn't, there is some thing wrong with it.

^^This. I parked my bike November fourth. Half a tank of "bad" reformulated gas, no battery tender, no stabil in the gas. Nothing. Just a blanket over it. Weekend before last, I went to move it to work on the car; decided to fire it up. Put the petcock on prime four a few seconds, set the choke, and spun it for about ten seconds. Fired right up.

EFI is better than carbs, but good carbs, well tuned, work fine.

lilws6
03-28-2009, 10:04 PM
i'm thinking bout selling my gsxr as well its served me well its my second bike the first gsxr i bought from pork. I learned to ride on a 4" dropped bike and wasn't too bad being i'm 240 lbs and all. i love the way this one rides but if i can sell it i'll let it go

pOrk
03-28-2009, 10:24 PM
^ The diesel GSXR was awesome

VroomPshhTsi
03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Is it true that bike prices go up considerably when it gets warm outside? Guy at dealer today said they raise 500-700 by May. Is this BS or is there actual truth to this?

BoosTT
03-30-2009, 05:58 PM
The prices are already at spring prices. Usually they dont go up, but almost every price is firm now. At road track and trail, you won't get a single cent off the prices. So, I guess you could concider they are $500 more then winter time.

Reverend Cooper
03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Sorry, thought this said KNIGHT RIDER,I came in to pick on Joesepy

xFullThrottlex
03-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Is it true that bike prices go up considerably when it gets warm outside? Guy at dealer today said they raise 500-700 by May. Is this BS or is there actual truth to this?

Yeah, they usually have some kick a$$ deals at dealerships starting labor day and lasting until spring. Buy a bike already and lets go riding!!:thumbsup

1320PNY
03-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Everyone has their opinions on this subject. For a first bike, I would suggest a midsize ( 600cc ) sportbike. Take a riders safety course and get use to riding on their bikes if they let you use one. You being 155lbs. should easily be able to handle the weight of a 600 once you get use to being on a bike... My opinion is exactly what you already stated, and that is you would quickly get bored with a 250 and want to upgrade right away. Remember, the bike only goes as fast and as quick as you want it to.

I completely agree. My first "street" bike was a FZ1000S (2001), but I am 6'1 and 260lb. So for you, I would suggest a nice 600. The great thing is they don't make any "dangerous" power until they rev past 8K and you shouldn't "accidentally" rev a bike that high while learning.

Always wear a helmet, jacket and boots! No matter how good you are things have a tendency to bounce off of you. I had a goose hit me in the shoulder and "explode" in my lap. I was 1 mile from my home going for gas. I was doing the speed limit. Helmet and jacket saved my life!

Al
04-06-2009, 04:54 AM
My first bike is my 07 Sportster.

It's reliable, easy to ride, cheap to buy, very good on fuel and cheap to maintain.

BTW- the dealers will let you test ride them!

Also, it's the best selling bike in the US for a reason.

pOrk
04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Chicago Cycle is selling 2008 R6's for 5999, brand new

VroomPshhTsi
04-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

My budget is between $2-3 grand. Here is a list of bikes I'm looking at.

2 Cylinders
Suzuki GS500F
Suzuki SV650S
Kawasaki Ninja 500R, 650R

Older (mid 90s) - 4 Cyl
Suzuki Katana 600
Honda CBR 600

BoosTT
04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

My budget is between $2-3 grand. Here is a list of bikes I'm looking at.

2 Cylinders
Suzuki GS500F
Suzuki SV650S
Kawasaki Ninja 500R, 650R

Older (mid 90s) - 4 Cyl
Suzuki Katana 600
Honda CBR 600

From those I would pick the CBR, but thats just me. F3 is a nice bike for the price.

Al
04-06-2009, 04:35 PM
How tall are you?

VroomPshhTsi
04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
how tall are you?

5'9"

1320PNY
04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
SV650S...

1.) Plenty of power and torque for a first bike and a guy your size.

2.) Nice clean bikes are out there for $3500 and if you look hard enough I think you can get a cherry bike for $3K.

3.) If you keep the thing in the first 3/4 of the power band it would be real "streetable" for a rookie.

4.) You can beat the piss out of a Suzuki and it will run forever.

5.) This bike is nimble and fun as hell. I took my fat-ass for a ride on one (260lb) and I was impressed and had a blast!

Fast SVT
04-15-2009, 03:50 AM
From my personal experience having been a new rider 1 year ago.

1) Take the MSF course. Depending on how easily you pick things up make a decision on what sort of bike you want for a first one.

2) If you pick things up fast and are confident then get the bike you want as oppossed to the starter bike everyone thinks you should have.

3) If you crash the new bike it is your own damn fault for being stupid. The bike will only go as fast as you want it to. If you crash it because you accidentally 'blip' the throttle too much on a litre bike then guess you should have gotten a Harley!

;)

Seriously though, take the MSF course and then make a decision. I started with an XL1200N and it was a near perfect bike to start off with, though if I would have done it over I would have started with a VROD. I picked up riding VERY fast at the MSF course so I might be a different case.

Notice the bike in my SIG....not a sportster but a Street Glide. I'm 5'6" and the FLHX is fine for me even though I've only ridden for a year so that is proof that there is no single rule for new riders. Make sure you continuously practice what they teach you in the MSF course. I take my FLHX to parking lots occasionally and practice panic stops and tight turns.

Also, people are not lying to you when they say that you should keep your head on a swivel when riding. You have to be extra alert when on the bike because any small mistake by you or someone else could be the end of you. Having said that don't be scared, that is the one thing that will kill you.

I've had two close calls in my 1 year of riding. First one was a panic stop and my rear locked up but luckily I had distance between me and the car in front (very important). The second was my own damn fault for zoning out early in the morning.....

xFullThrottlex
04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
^ well said

WickedSix
04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
ANOTHER VOTE SV550S! I had the SV650 for a year for my first bike and then went to a SV1000. I am 6'4" and 300+ and I still miss the lil SV for cruising around. real comfortable, good milage and usable power, plus mine sounded awesome with the full FMF titanium system :thumbsup

VroomPshhTsi
04-19-2009, 11:25 PM
What places around the New Berlin area are best for gear? I'm looking for a nice riding jacket, nothing super fancy just a plain leather one. I stopped by Road Track And Trail but their selection was pretty small.

xFullThrottlex
04-20-2009, 12:11 AM
What places around the New Berlin area are best for gear? I'm looking for a nice riding jacket, nothing super fancy just a plain leather one. I stopped by Road Track And Trail but their selection was pretty small.

buy a bike first:)

(interweb, Motorsports factory, that leather outlet off of Calhoun (mainly Harley leather though,) All Pro, Don and Roys, Sportland 2, etc.)

BoosTT
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
kneedraggers.com is a great place to buy gear from.

xFullThrottlex
04-25-2009, 12:41 AM
did u buy the ninja?!?!?!:banana1:

VroomPshhTsi
04-25-2009, 03:18 AM
did u buy the ninja?!?!?!:banana1:

Well the night didn't go according to plan AT ALL (Traiber's Bravada got a dead battery + a ton of other weird things) but yes, I am getting the 500... call me when u get a chance

xFullThrottlex
04-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Well the night didn't go according to plan AT ALL (Traiber's Bravada got a dead battery + a ton of other weird things) but yes, I am getting the 500... call me when u get a chance

hey man i just saw this post, you'll have to let me know whats up