PDA

View Full Version : summit is awesome

88Nightmare
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
They had some lower control arms I wanted that are back ordered until the middle of April. I kinda want them now, so I called up their tech line to see if they had anything else comparable to the backordered parts that are available now. There really wasnt anything else, but he transferred me to a sales guy who was able to call the manufacturer and they had em in stock so they were able to set it up so they ship right from the manufacturer tomorrow. Not sure if this is standard procedure but I thought it was great customer service

David95Z28
03-25-2009, 03:28 PM
They did that for me before to! But then again they f*cked my Dad so i dont use them anymore!

TransAm12sec
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Summit is a nice company.

My father says the tech guys during the day are more knowledgeable than the ones at night, if you've ever noticed that.

The only bad thing about Jegs and Summit is they're more likely to put speed shops out of business across America.

Breecher_7
03-25-2009, 03:32 PM
The only bad thing about Jegs and Summit is they're more likely to put speed shops out of business across America.

Actually with the accounts West Bend Dyno has with Motorstate and VSI they can get just about everything Summit carries at or below there printed price.

Plus, you pay no shipping if you pick it up at the shop.

Support your BCM sponsors!!! :thumbsup

Car Guy
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Fuck Summit, order your shit local.....:thumbsup

88Nightmare
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
not necessarily. I would go to a speed shop to get work done. I understand they sell parts too, and make money off of those parts they sell, but still. Summit can sell all the parts they want, they still can't install them for you. Thats where a speed shop can step in and finish the job.

88Nightmare
03-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Actually with the accounts West Bend Dyno has with Motorstate and VSI they can get just about everything Summit carries at or below there printed price.

The stuff I ordered was truck suspension parts. Not exactly performance parts. So I figured no local shop would be able to order that for me.

Breecher_7
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
The stuff I ordered was truck suspension parts. Not exactly performance parts. So I figured no local shop would be able to order that for me.

Next time call Brad and ask.. He can get just about EVERYTHING you can find in either jegs or summit at or below there prices. If not, go ahead and order from summit, but give him a shot first. :thumbsup

88Nightmare
03-25-2009, 03:46 PM
my apologies. I just figured he dealt with performance parts only. We all know what happens when you assume........... :D

95 TA - The Beast
03-25-2009, 04:36 PM
You pay no shipping, but you do pay tax...

Honestly, if I am doing a motor, for example, I will take my parts list, get everything ordered at once and get everything delivered to my door. No local sales tax to deal with, and I don't have to drive anywhere to pick something up.

Sure, I have to deal with returns if something is bad/wrong, but honestly it doesn't get easier than using an online supplier.

And price-wise you are talking less than 5% savings going with a local supplier. That is offset by the tax hit, so where is the real savings?

Now, that is not to say that I don't buy stuff from local places, as I do all the time with at least 4-5 local places. I mean if I need something that is needed NOW and in stock, I buy local. If it is something I need to compliment something else I am buying local, I'll buy it at the same time, usually even if I have to stop back to pick it up.

But if I am making a large purchase of a lot of items that may, or may not, all be in stock, or may or may not be delivered within a certain amount of time, I'll just order it online and make my hassles a lot less... Plus, how do you 'haggle' with a local place you know that takes care of you but you are losing a ton of cash because you know the pricing is far out of wack on some things?

Hell, Summit and Jegs are great research resources outside of thier great prices as well.

Yeah, all of us should be supporting a lot of local places a lot more than what we do, but that is the way society has moved, towards single-source, instantaneous online shopping... Sorry, I like to see what I am buying and having a full list to refer to... It helps make sure something is not missed and/or what else you may need, so it is also a organizational aide in that sense as well...

Honestly, buying the 'Summit' brand as well as good pricing (including price-matching with Advance Auto on Fel-Pro gaskets) saved me well over $100-150 on my current motor build. Now THAT is far from $15-20 dollars or whatever else would be considered 'acceptable'. That is some serious savings on less than $700 worth of parts. And since this motor is for one of MY cars, that is cash in my pocket, not something I can pass on to someone else.

TheRX7Project
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
It really depends on what I am buying and how soon I need it. If I need something NOW I'll usually buy it locally, but if it's a group of parts for a project, I'll buy online.

However when my dad asks me what I want for Christmas / birthday / etc. I give him a Summit part number.

Plum Crazy
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Its the same way with Dons machine shop in K town, if you order anything, its usually cheaper and free shipping.

88Nightmare
03-25-2009, 05:16 PM
You pay no shipping, but you do pay tax...

Honestly, if I am doing a motor, for example, I will take my parts list, get everything ordered at once and get everything delivered to my door. No local sales tax to deal with, and I don't have to drive anywhere to pick something up.

Sure, I have to deal with returns if something is bad/wrong, but honestly it doesn't get easier than using an online supplier.

And price-wise you are talking less than 5% savings going with a local supplier. That is offset by the tax hit, so where is the real savings?

Now, that is not to say that I don't buy stuff from local places, as I do all the time with at least 4-5 local places. I mean if I need something that is needed NOW and in stock, I buy local. If it is something I need to compliment something else I am buying local, I'll buy it at the same time, usually even if I have to stop back to pick it up.

But if I am making a large purchase of a lot of items that may, or may not, all be in stock, or may or may not be delivered within a certain amount of time, I'll just order it online and make my hassles a lot less... Plus, how do you 'haggle' with a local place you know that takes care of you but you are losing a ton of cash because you know the pricing is far out of wack on some things?

Hell, Summit and Jegs are great research resources outside of thier great prices as well.

Yeah, all of us should be supporting a lot of local places a lot more than what we do, but that is the way society has moved, towards single-source, instantaneous online shopping... Sorry, I like to see what I am buying and having a full list to refer to... It helps make sure something is not missed and/or what else you may need, so it is also a organizational aide in that sense as well...

Honestly, buying the 'Summit' brand as well as good pricing (including price-matching with Advance Auto on Fel-Pro gaskets) saved me well over $100-150 on my current motor build. Now THAT is far from $15-20 dollars or whatever else would be considered 'acceptable'. That is some serious savings on less than $700 worth of parts. And since this motor is for one of MY cars, that is cash in my pocket, not something I can pass on to someone else.

not only that, but at least on summits website, when you are viewing a part, they offer additional parts that may interest you that are related to the part you are viewing. For example, I ordered up a set of cheap o wheels, then I looked at the related parts area and it was showing me center caps for the wheels (the wheels came without center caps). If summit didnt have that section, I would have gotten wheels with no center caps. Then I would have had to wait for another order of caps to come in to complete that particular project, so it saved me time and some money of having to make two seperate orders and pay two seperate handling charges.

Voodoo Chick
03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Summit is F***ING AWESOME. They are the best I have dealt with, they always go above and beyond for service, and they always send me a ton of cool little free goodies with my order. I love that company! :)

Plum Crazy
03-25-2009, 05:21 PM
my exhaust, plugs, wires, tuner, bedliner, and KC off road lights are all from summit, nothing took over 3 days to get.

Rocket Power
03-25-2009, 05:46 PM
I always buy my stuff at Rocket Racing in Waterford, right on my way home, prices comparable to summit/jegs always got my stuff fast and they are a machine shop too if I need other work done. Local speed guys FTW.

Prince Valiant
03-25-2009, 06:15 PM
I shop for the best price and most convienence. Sometimes ordering a part at 1:00 a.m. and knowing I don't have to worry about doing anything other than waiting for my doorbell to ring is worth it. Sometimes going over to the local shop and getting the part then and there, even if paying a premium, is worth it.

Karps TA
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
I buy from Jeg's probably more the Summit. I like Jeg's brand name stuff a little better, and they offer alot of brackets and such Summit doesn't. I've bought locally in a pinch and it's always been way more expensive. I can see paying more locally if I'm getting some good tech advice or I feel that my business is appreciated. But I don't feel that usually. Normally I get the feeling like I'm somehow wasting their time.

Car Guy
03-25-2009, 08:02 PM
If you went through what I did with Summit after spending thousands of $$$ with them you would have a much different opinion. Granted it was almost ten years ago but I will NEVER deal with them again if they were the last 'speed shop' left on earth......:stare

On the other hand I have NEVER had an issue with ordering parts locally from reputable shops......

wrath
03-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Summit sucks compared to what they were 15 or 20 years ago.

When I build an engine I tell the machineshop to order whatever they need to make it run the best within my parameters. I pay whatever they paid for it, which is usually the same price or cheaper than what I can get it from Summit myself.

I'll pay up to 10% more to support a local small business. If it's a chain, internet, catalog, et cetera it's no holds-barred I'm going to the cheapest place that I'm most likely not going to regret buying from.

95 TA - The Beast
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Oh no doubt, if you are having machine work done, get it all in one place and you know it will all work together... Like I said I have done a bunch of local business... Most definitly I have spent more locally than ordering...

GinoRin
03-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I buy everything from C&S Performance that I can. I've had a couple times when I either ordered the wrong thing or the part I got was defective from the manufacturer, and they have me a replacement the next day. I simply give them the old one they give me the new one. No shipping no BS and its only a day away. And they do their best to compete with parts houses, and sometimes do beat their prices.

letsrunem
03-25-2009, 11:46 PM
I buy everything from C&S Performance that I can. I've had a couple times when I either ordered the wrong thing or the part I got was defective from the manufacturer, and they have me a replacement the next day. I simply give them the old one they give me the new one. No shipping no BS and its only a day away. And they do their best to compete with parts houses, and sometimes do beat their prices.

C&S is awesome. They really know their stuff and are very helpful. Great prices on machine work too, especially compared to Kilpatrick's :rolleyes:

letsrunem
03-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Example: Needed aluminum welded. Kilpatrick's wanted $90/hour "and it will probably take about 2 hours." C&S price: $20

70 cutlass 442
03-26-2009, 03:00 AM
Rocket racing ftw, I wont buy my parts anywehre else, if i find a cheaper price he will do all he can to match it, part is here the next day, no shipping, and the savings offset the tax.

Sprayaway Fox
03-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I heard Summit actually filed for bankruptsy . Dunno it they will still be around yet. Im a jegs guy though. Plus a certain Mickey Thompson drag wheel was selling for pennies on the dollar on there website a while back, cause they filed for bankruptcy too.

badass88gt
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Jegs is better because they ship FedEx, Summit uses UPS. While normally its no difference, FedEx had free Saturday delivery, UPS charges extra, so if you ordered on a Wednesday night you may not get it until Monday with Summit. Jegs will have it there for the weekend.

WickedSix
03-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I like summit with the exception of one of their pro stock drivers...... I buy majority of my parts from them just cus I hate dealing with people. I order something, I make sure its right, and I get what I ordered. No middleman to screw it up.

Karps TA
03-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I heard Summit actually filed for bankruptsy . Dunno it they will still be around yet. Im a jegs guy though. Plus a certain Mickey Thompson drag wheel was selling for pennies on the dollar on there website a while back, cause they filed for bankruptcy too.

I would doubt that. I just got a flier from them showing the totally expanded their product line. Now carrying stuff like BMR, and alot of forum sponsored type vendors.

Prince Valiant
03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
I think it was a different outlet that filed for bankruptcy...

88Nightmare
03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Jegs is better because they ship FedEx, Summit uses UPS. While normally its no difference, FedEx had free Saturday delivery, UPS charges extra, so if you ordered on a Wednesday night you may not get it until Monday with Summit. Jegs will have it there for the weekend.

Fedex is gay. I dont know where Jegs is based out of but Summit is right in northern Ohio so shipping to me in the milwaukee burbs only takes about 2 days via UPS ground. One time I received damaged goods from Summit. They said just tape the box back up and leave it on your doorstep. They scheduled UPS to come pick it up instead of me taking it to UPS. I thought that was awesome too.

Voodoo Chick
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Fedex pisses me off, if I don't get to the door the very second they ring the bell, they leave, and take my package, and leave me one of those "pick it up yourself" notices. UPS always leaves it at my door, undamaged. Jegs is decent, but Summit is way beyond just "decent," IMO......their service is just so excellent......Fedex once left a package in my front yard, under the bushes. I don't know why. This only happened once, but it was really agravating. And....it was something I needed right away, and was not aware it had been delivered until I went out to the front, looked for the little note, and instead found the box.

Reverend Cooper
03-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Next time call Brad and ask.. He can get just about EVERYTHING you can find in either jegs or summit at or below there prices. If not, go ahead and order from summit, but give him a shot first. :thumbsup

maybe you are the reason no one calls there to order?

PB86MCSS
03-26-2009, 07:34 PM
FedEx > UPS, hands down to me. Better service in my experience shipping and receiving a buttload of items. UPS seems a bit more careless and in my time working there, I saw enough mishandling to scare me off....I'm sure it goes on at FedEx too though somewhat.

I've been very pleased with Summit....not realistic to drive around town for parts unless they have retail hours, typically if I order from Summit it arrives in two business days, Jegs is quick too. I should try to support local business more but I prefer the convienence.

Voodoo Chick
03-26-2009, 11:02 PM
And sometimes....Summit/Jegs just have a more extensive selection.