PDA

View Full Version : Roundabouts proposed for S. 27th Street

03CVLX
03-25-2009, 08:38 AM
The DOT is now proposing 12 roundabouts to be built on S. 27th Street. Here is the article from Oak Creek Now.com This could be really bad.

http://www.oakcreeknow.com/news/41820057.html

DOT considers a dozen roundabouts on 27th Street
By Julie Becker, NOW Newspapers

Posted: Mar. 25, 2009 6:43 a.m.

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation will at least consider transforming up to a dozen intersections along the 27th Street corridor from traffic-light control to roundabouts.

The DOT on Tuesday held a public information meeting to get feedback on the design alternative, one of several options, and to try to acquaint the public with the concepts of roundabouts.

Expanding all major signalized intersections along the six-mile stretch is also a possibility, said Vida Shaffer, DOT project manager.

At Tuesday's meeting, the DOT indicated that if a roundabout corridor is selected, roundabouts would be proposed for College Avenue, Sycamore Street, Riverwood Boulevard, Rawson Avenue, NML Way, Drexel Avenue, Forest Hill Avenue, Puetz Road, Hill Top Lane, and Ryan, Oakwood and Elm roads.
Area residents aren’t completely sold on the dizzying series of proposed roundabouts.

“I find them a little bit confusing and a little bit dangerous, because people don’t seem to know what lane they have to be in,” said Franklin resident Phyllis Runningen. “It’s like there are no rules in roundabouts — at least that’s how it has been for me.”

The decision on a preferred alternative will not be made until this fall. Reconstruction of 27th Street from College to Drexel avenues is slated for 2013. Although the DOT’s recommendation will address the entire corridor, 27th Street south of Drexel will not be reconstructed for another 10 to 15 years, Shaffer said.

I really hope this plan fails.

Karps TA
03-25-2009, 08:40 AM
I was against roundabout at first cause people in this state can't even handle merging. But with 2 of them on Moorland by my house, I love them. They are especially fun when no one's around and you can take them fast.

PureSound15
03-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Well... maybe a few of the Donks will tip over and be off the street for a while.

What? I'm just trying to put a positive spin on it.

British_Ben
03-25-2009, 09:20 AM
We've had roundabouts in England for years. They are everywhere. If people know how to use them, they are extremely effective. Traffic almost never has to stop.

On the other hand, if there are retarded people using them, there will be more accidents and then traffic will stop all the time.

In England, people get pissed when they have to sit at a light and wish that every intersection had a roundabout.

British_Ben
03-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Well... maybe a few of the Donks will tip over and be off the street for a while.

What? I'm just trying to put a positive spin on it.

Sort of like an artificially accelerated natural selection? :rolf

juicedimpss
03-25-2009, 09:31 AM
i dont think they teach "roundabouts" in drivers-ed do they?

03CVLX
03-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Well, if they do this. Oak Creek and Franklin might as well build police/Fire substations in the center of the roundabouts cause I think they will spend most of there days there on various accidents. :rolf

British_Ben
03-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Well, if they do this. Oak Creek and Franklin might as well build police/Fire substations in the center of the roundabouts cause I think they will spend most of there days there on various accidents. :rolf

You're probably right about the accidents, at least for the first month or so.

Karps TA
03-25-2009, 09:52 AM

I said the exact same thing with the ones on Moorland. Not sure how many actually happened though. I figured between businesses, shopping and a movie theater filled with soccer moms and teen drivers that it was going to be carnage.

shoooo32
03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
They installed a few on the eastside a while back. I lived on a block that had one. Every saturday night a drunk UWM student wouldn't see it and drive over the top of it, destroying the bottom of their car on the 12" concrete flower planter in the middle. Priceless.:rolf

07ROUSHSTG3
03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
i know the ones up here in green bay, appleton, sheboygan, and de-pere have been very good so far when it comes to accidents. i don't mind them.

British_Ben
03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vsCoI7lERGE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vsCoI7lERGE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

juicedimpss
03-25-2009, 10:06 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zC4FXrD6kxc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zC4FXrD6kxc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

British_Ben
03-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Ron, that's one good use of a roundabout! :rolf:rolf

scaleracer
03-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Dumb idea people can't even drive the straight sh!t moreless learn/be considerate enough to merge. :goof

Crawlin
03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Since I'd drive the ones on Moorland each day, the biggest problems are the people that are IN the roundabout that stop because they see you coming and don't think you are gonna stop. That's been the biggest issue. If they'd just suck it up and drive, there wouldn't be so many issues.

Atleast those areas on 27th aren't as busy as like, Layton, Howard, Okalahoma. Now THAT would be interesting.

It's weird too, because everyone in Colorado out by Vail knew exactly how to navigate the roundabouts, haha.

03CVLX
03-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I guess the spots that concern me the most are College ave(aka 4 corners) Rawson Ave and Ryan rd. All are pretty heavy with traffic and on Ryan rd there is so much truck traffic with the business park at 51st st and the truck stops that I think it could get ugly.

animal
03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I will just plan on dirtying up howell ave with my traffic instead. Fuck roundabouts.

pOrk
03-25-2009, 11:39 AM
I like round abouts, I love riding them in florida :)

DocDave
03-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Atleast those areas on 27th aren't as busy as like, Layton, Howard, Okalahoma.

Not Busy? 27th and College is one of the busiest intersections in Metro Milwaukee.

I am for round-a-bouts, because they do there job IF people know how to use them. But that many in a row, that ought to be interesting. If they are serious about this they better have public service announcements on TV to teach people how to use them!

07ROUSHSTG3
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Not Busy? 27th and College is one of the busiest intersections in Metro Milwaukee.

I am for round-a-bouts, because they do there job IF people know how to use them. But that many in a row, that ought to be interesting. If they are serious about this they better have public service announcements on TV to teach people how to use them!

they will throw an extra couple million dollars at the project for "community enlightenment" i am sure.

Flicktitty
03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I was against roundabout at first cause people in this state can't even handle merging. But with 2 of them on Moorland by my house, I love them. They are especially fun when no one's around and you can take them fast.

exactlly.

i don't have a problem with them.

Holeshot
03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
If you know how to drive em your fine. The plan wont fail. Its in the plans. Zignago is bidding on the concrete.

Voodoo Chick
03-25-2009, 12:42 PM
I wonder if they'll actually help traffic flow, or become more of a hinderance?

Holeshot
03-25-2009, 12:43 PM
I wonder if they'll actually help traffic flow, or become more of a hinderance?

Judging from the way most people drive on 27th st It will be a giant cluster fuck. :goof

Voodoo Chick
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Judging from the way most people drive on 27th st It will be a giant cluster fuck. :goof

That's what I'm thinking. Likely to be a few real horror-show accidents, too.

VroomPshhTsi
03-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm with Karps TA. I was opposed to them at first, but I live close to the Moorland/I43 roundabouts and so far they have been pretty successful. I haven't seen an accident there and every time I drive through there, it seems faster than the stop lights and turn lanes that use to be there.

TraceDaddy
03-25-2009, 01:09 PM
When we were in Ireland they were everywhere and I got used to them. And I was even driving on the left side of the road. It's not like people are flying through at 60 MPH. They do have to slow down so even if someone brain cramps the resulting accident shouldn't be life threatening.

There are also plans to put one in on Hwy Y between Wind Lake and Muskego. Kind of out in the middle of nowhere.

And I agree with Ben, it's better than sitting and waiting for a light.

Plum Crazy
03-25-2009, 01:27 PM
There is a round about over by Park HS in racine, saw some old lady almost shit herself trying to figure it out.

Roundabout Drifting is the shit!!

88Nightmare
03-25-2009, 03:06 PM
There are roundabouts all over new york and new jersey and the general new england/east coast area where I grew up, everyone managed on them just fine. My family and I are all used to them so this wouldn't be a big deal to us at all, but the rest of the people around here not used to them may have some issues. If everyone drives on them they way they are intended to be driven on, things will be just fine

Memphis
03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I think they suck...

Voodoo Chick
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
There are roundabouts all over new york and new jersey and the general new england/east coast area where I grew up, everyone managed on them just fine. My family and I are all used to them so this wouldn't be a big deal to us at all, but the rest of the people around here not used to them may have some issues. If everyone drives on them they way they are intended to be driven on, things will be just fine

Yeah...IF they drive on them correctly. I just have serious doubts that all of them will have the brain power to use them correctly......But, all we can do is wait and see, I guess......

lordairgtar
03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I have fun with the roundabouts. I think they are a great idea.

Voodoo Chick
03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I have fun with the roundabouts. I think they are a great idea.

You have fun with them, eh?? Well, when the roundabouts are built and there's black tire marks around all of them, I'll know who did it, lol! :rolf

BigBadGTA
03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I said the exact same thing with the ones on Moorland. Not sure how many actually happened though. I figured between businesses, shopping and a movie theater filled with soccer moms and teen drivers that it was going to be carnage.

dude I hate those two round abouts.... I knew the first one by the movie theater was there and I didn't know they put in another one closer to national... well I thought the newest one was the oldest one and it took me a good two laps to figure out where the flying fuck I was ...

lordairgtar
03-25-2009, 11:47 PM
You have fun with them, eh?? Well, when the roundabouts are built and there's black tire marks around all of them, I'll know who did it, lol! :rolf
Damn!! I've been found out. One late night I did that on Moorland. Just wanted to see how fast I could go in circles.

Voodoo Chick
03-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Damn!! I've been found out. One late night I did that on Moorland. Just wanted to see how fast I could go in circles.

A friend of mine did some "high-speed donuts" with me in the car.....I really, really almost barfed!!! :rolf

SSDude
03-26-2009, 05:34 AM
I think they suck...

I agree.
I find them extremely aggravating. It seems that at least 50% of the people who go through them don't know how to navagate/use them or are timid drivers, to scared to merge with traffic or are to busy on their cell phone to drive.
They tend to get narrower in the winter since the plow drivers can barely find the edge of the road when the plow straight roads much less round a bouts. The one on canal street was down to a lane and a half this winter.
Whats up with putting them on highways like in Washington County? Now they should be called streets not highways. Having to slow down to navigate round a bouts every half mile.
This is the work of the anti car people. They want to make driving aggravating and inconvenient to push people to mass transit.

Voodoo Chick
03-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I agree.
I find them extremely aggravating. It seems that at least 50% of the people who go through them don't know how to navagate/use them or are timid drivers, to scared to merge with traffic or are to busy on their cell phone to drive.
They tend to get narrower in the winter since the plow drivers can barely find the edge of the road when the plow straight roads much less round a bouts. The one on canal street was down to a lane and a half this winter.
Whats up with putting them on highways like in Washington County? Now they should be called streets not highways. Having to slow down to navigate round a bouts every half mile.
This is the work of the anti car people. They want to make driving aggravating and inconvenient to push people to mass transit.

Never thought of it that way....but I think maybe you're right.