PDA

View Full Version : 89 Camaro RS to 350 swap

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 10:00 AM
How easy is it? Looking at purchasing (trading) for a very nice 3rd gen RS for the step son and I to work on and of course the RS has the weak ass 305 in it, which is good for now as he needs to learn to drive and all that good stuff first. But down the road, how hard is the swap to a 350 based engine?

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 10:13 AM
It's essentially the same motor dimension wise. Depending on how mild/wild the motor is you may have to do some tuning, or upgrade the exhaust. But otherwise it's a straight forward swap.

juicedimpss
03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
It's essentially the same motor dimension wise. Depending on how mild/wild the motor is you may have to do some tuning, or upgrade the exhaust. But otherwise it's a straight forward swap.

x2
physically,easy swap.

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Tranny problems? Or would a tranny swap have to happen as well? How about the computer since it is TPI or TBI, or whatever the hell it is???

juicedimpss
03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Tranny problems? Or would a tranny swap have to happen as well? How about the computer since it is TPI or TBI, or whatever the hell it is???

again,it all depends on the build.
a mild 350 will work out fine,and you could prob even get a CHIP burned to make it run ok.

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 10:28 AM
The trans is the same for both engines as well.

computer tuning depends on the level of the engine build. If you're doing a very mild 350 you could probably get away with the stock 305 tune I would think. Otherwise you'll have to have a custom chip burnt for it. I'm guessing the RS will be a TBI motor. I'm not sure what kind of tuning is out there for that.

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Even in the future I wouldn't want anything crazy, it would be nice to have more than the furious 170HP lugging around a vert though:rolf I am guessing there's nothing to be had with the 305, that's the only reason I would think of a swap in the future. I would like the car to grow as his skills do I guess.

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 10:41 AM
For what you'd spend on upgrading a 305, you could find a 350. You can mod the 305 to help pep it up a bit. Just make sure you buy things that will help with the 350. Like headers, cat back exhaust, gears, etc. Then you don't have to buy stuff twice.

It's a pretty common progression for most thirdgenners.

TransAm12sec
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
It's a common swap. I'd get a TPI car over a TBI car however.

www.thirdgen.org has the most info on the cars.

Prince Valiant
03-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Since you don't have to worry about emissions, I swap in a carbed 350.

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 11:10 AM
It's a common swap. I'd get a TPI car over a TBI car however.

www.thirdgen.org has the most info on the cars.

There's a guy here at work who just told me he has all the stuff to swap it over to a TPI, said even the wiring harness stuff is all plug and play. Made it sound pretty easy.

Breecher_7
03-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a 350 4 bolt longblock that just came out of a 94 GMC Sierra.... Stick that in there...

PonyKiller87
03-24-2009, 12:23 PM
There's a guy here at work who just told me he has all the stuff to swap it over to a TPI, said even the wiring harness stuff is all plug and play. Made it sound pretty easy.

I don't want to scare you off but TPI can be a huge pain in the ass.

If you start modding a TPI you will need to get chips burned or you will have driveablity issues and alot of times you wont gain much or any power from the mods. The TBI motors are more accepting to mods on the stock chip. If your not planning on dumping a bunch of money into it I would go carb.

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM

If you start modding a TPI you will need to get chips burned or you will have driveablity issues and alot of times you wont gain much or any power from the mods. The TBI motors are more accepting to mods on the stock chip. If your not planning on dumping a bunch of money into it I would go carb.

So I should stick the the TBI??? Someone else said TPI would be a good 1st step. Now I am cornfused, lol.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-24-2009, 12:28 PM
So I should stick the the TBI??? Someone else said TPI would be a good 1st step. Now I am cornfused, lol.

at least you picked up a good car. Not the greatest platform, but it's a start!:rolf

Breecher_7
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Bob, we just went through this with a friend of mines truck. That is where that engine came from. We replaced the stock 350 with a hotter 350. I found a company that sells ported TBI units and larger injectors, and regulators and everything else you need to make them run with a hotter engine and then we tuned it up at WBD.

TBI is easy to upgrade if you do a little research. His project turned out great. I can point you in the right direction if you decided to go that route.

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
at least you picked up a good car. Not the greatest platform, but it's a start!:rolf

I don't have it yet. I am working a trade for the 79 stang I have. We will see what pans out. I would really like a different Fox to trade for (one with a 5.0), but no-one seems to have any that aren't garbage.

94greenbandit
03-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I thought RSs were the V6 version for those years and the Z28s were the 305s

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Nope, the RS had the 305 as an option. Z's had 350's.

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 12:49 PM
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/1086825818.html

Link to car.

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Haha, just noticed it redlines at 5000RPM. Odd.

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Don't worry it stops making any power way before that. :rolf

juicedimpss
03-24-2009, 01:28 PM

racecar.

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
You could always make a 335 stroker out of the 305 lol

94greenbandit
03-24-2009, 01:55 PM

Oh ok my '89 just has the whopping 173ci V6 in it

STANMAN
03-24-2009, 04:43 PM
It has a split in the drivers seat in the seam. Better to replace the seat, or can the seam be repaired??

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
4th gen seats bolt right in and IMO are nicer seats. The 3rd gen Camaro seats are a little too plush to me. The feel like they belong in a Buick.

hotshift13
03-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah go find a set of 4th gen seats, they are way nicer than the fluffy 3rd gen seats. I just got a set and I love them. And you can get a set for about $150.00, if you look around a little and don't want leather.

hotshift13
03-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Easiest way to build power with these cars is to go back to a carb setup. Plus they don't have to pass emissions anymore is awesome

GRAMPS SS
03-24-2009, 10:40 PM

really.....i took out my 305 in my 87 SS back in '96 and dropped in a 350 with a cam change and headers...and spray...and the car drove sweet...NEVER had a problem with the car...TPI will have better throttle response then TBI...and i gained a shit load of power.you have to think if you want to go MAF or SPEED DENSIDTY (SPELLING)...the guy that bought it from me couldn't belive the power it had...so IMO...go with the TPI....but i am old and don't know what i'm talking about...

Beagle
03-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Do it!!!! You'll drive the camaro once and most likely get rid of the candy cane. just kidding Bob. Be a good swap to do with the step son.

Poncho
03-25-2009, 01:16 AM

um no...

the RS came in auto/stick with the 3.1 or 305TBI

the Z/28 came in automatic w/ the 305TPI or 350TPI and w/ the 305TPI if it was stick.

Poncho
03-25-2009, 01:19 AM
really.....i took out my 305 in my 87 SS back in '96 and dropped in a 350 with a cam change and headers...and spray...and the car drove sweet...NEVER had a problem with the car...TPI will have better throttle response then TBI...and i gained a shit load of power.you have to think if you want to go MAF or SPEED DENSIDTY (SPELLING)...the guy that bought it from me couldn't belive the power it had...so IMO...go with the TPI....but i am old and don't know what i'm talking about...

problem is that they are beasty off the line, excellent stoplight racers, but are terrible for "speed" like the 1/4 mile, they just run out of steam by 4500. There are aftermarket solutions though, that retain the TPI and all.

Also Bob, an LT1 is an easy swap

STANMAN
03-25-2009, 05:51 AM
So, should I stick with the TBI, or switch to TPI? I have a friend at work who has all the stuff to change it to TPI.

FANAT1C
03-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Are you not wanting to consider carb at all?

94greenbandit
03-25-2009, 07:09 AM
um no...

the RS came in auto/stick with the 3.1 or 305TBI

the Z/28 came in automatic w/ the 305TPI or 350TPI and w/ the 305TPI if it was stick.

Actually the 3.1 didn't come out until '90

BadAzzGTA89
03-25-2009, 07:38 AM
If you are keeping the 305 in it then keep the TBI if your swapping a 350 in then go carb! Unless a car came with a TPI and you wanted to spend $$$$ to make it even flow right then i would say TPI but that cost too much IMO i would go carbed on the 350 swap. Im in the middle of swapping my 350 TPI out for a bigger cube more modern setup that is easier to find people to tune:devil

STANMAN
03-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Are you not wanting to consider carb at all?

Carb wouldn't be bad, but wouldn't I then have to buy an ignition box and all that fun stuff? I mean I can get the TPI conversion stuff for free, and then Tony says everything can be done with the TBI in place. So confusing, lol.

Karps TA
03-25-2009, 10:55 AM
You'd need carb, intake, fuel pressure regulator, and a HEI vaccum advance distributor for sure. I think that would be it. Harness coming from the pass side is all the 'puter stuff, harness on the driver's side is the important stuff - lights gauges etc./

Mine was carbed originally so it was an easier swap. TPI with speed density is a decent system from what I've seen. It's just a PITA burning chips all the time instead of being able to program on the fly with a laptop or plug in programmer. And essentially no one dyno tunes them

juicedimpss
03-25-2009, 11:10 AM
You'd need carb, intake, fuel pressure regulator, and a HEI vaccum advance distributor for sure. I think that would be it. Harness coming from the pass side is all the 'puter stuff, harness on the driver's side is the important stuff - lights gauges etc./

Mine was carbed originally so it was an easier swap. TPI with speed density is a decent system from what I've seen. It's just a PITA burning chips all the time instead of being able to program on the fly with a laptop or plug in programmer. And essentially no one dyno tunes them

words of wisdom.

STANMAN
03-25-2009, 11:19 AM

Realize I don't plan on making more than 1 change with the set up. I will run it the way it is, and sometime down the road make 1 change to get about 300HP out of it and then leave it at that level forever. Unless it gets traded for a Mustang by then:goof

I already have one expensive, easily programmed car:rolf

Karps TA
03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Seems to me it's rare that anyone gets the tune right on the first go. But that's just from what I've seen on TGO for years. If you went with a proven combination then it would likely be no problem to burn a chip and be pretty dead on. If you're going to do some home cooking, then you've got some trial and error.

I've not dealt with TPI personally, I'm just spouting off from what I've read/seen. But that said I can't tune a carb worth a shit, which is why I went to EFI.

STANMAN
03-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Seems to me it's rare that anyone gets the tune right on the first go. But that's just from what I've seen on TGO for years. If you went with a proven combination then it would likely be no problem to burn a chip and be pretty dead on. If you're going to do some home cooking, then you've got some trial and error.

I've not dealt with TPI personally, I'm just spouting off from what I've read/seen. But that said I can't tune a carb worth a shit, which is why I went to EFI.

And I thank you for your input,it's very appreciated, as even just random "spouting off" is more than what I know about this subject. Continue to pass it along, I need all the education I can get!

GRAMPS SS
03-25-2009, 04:48 PM
TPI.go for it....what do you have to lose...nothing..it's easy to put in...i took out my old harness and put in a new one and computor and over 2 weekends it was on the road...

come on...say yes...everyone else says no...:goof

Poncho
03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
yea, I had a '88 myself w/ the mighty 2.8 (173ci) I just kinda glanced over that.

94greenbandit
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Yep my '89 is just sitting in my garage waiting for my resurrection of it

BadAzzGTA89
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Realize I don't plan on making more than 1 change with the set up. I will run it the way it is, and sometime down the road make 1 change to get about 300HP out of it and then leave it at that level forever. Unless it gets traded for a Mustang by then:goof

I already have one expensive, easily programmed car:rolf

Like i said b4 i been playing with the TPI for years and it comes to the point were you can't make any more power unless you wan't to spend some coin and upgrade to a diffrent intake "ie"TPIS Accel/Lingenfelter SLP/Edelbrock Edelbrock LT1 HSR or diffrent runners on the TPI and then do a cam and heads and have a tune done lmao!
If you don't plan to mod that much then a 350 TPI with minor mods will give you some fun and TORQUE will be there do not worry.

Poncho
03-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Yep my '89 is just sitting in my garage waiting for my resurrection of it

at least they made a zillion v6's to be good swap material!

PonyKiller87
03-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Like i said b4 i been playing with the TPI for years and it comes to the point were you can't make any more power unless you wan't to spend some coin and upgrade to a diffrent intake "ie"TPIS Accel/Lingenfelter SLP/Edelbrock Edelbrock LT1 HSR or diffrent runners on the TPI and then do a cam and heads and have a tune done lmao!
If you don't plan to mod that much then a 350 TPI with minor mods will give you some fun and TORQUE will be there do not worry.

Exacly, If your just going to dump it in and run it pretty much stock then yeah the 350 TPI is a good deal especialy if its free. The stock tune will do ok with headers, and a mild cam, but if you start getting much beyond that you will start to need custom tuning.

STANMAN
03-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I should have the car tonight. Sounds like it needs a tranny mount as when you hammer it it makes a thud. Will know more tonight I guess.

BadAzzGTA89
03-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I should have the car tonight. Sounds like it needs a tranny mount as when you hammer it it makes a thud. Will know more tonight I guess.
You can get the poly one cheap at autozone.

michelle
03-27-2009, 10:15 AM

I'm going to pick you up some scrunchies today so when your mullet gets too long, you can put it in a pony tail.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2394/1702317161_cce234ef71.jpg

STANMAN
03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm going to pick you up some scrunchies today so when your mullet gets too long, you can put it in a pony tail.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2394/1702317161_cce234ef71.jpg

Can I get them in some day glow neon colors to go with my zubaz pants??