PDA

View Full Version : I94 reconstruction starting Now

03CVLX
03-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Here is the website for the I94 reconstruction. I knew it was gonna be a big project but WOW.

The project will last from spring 2009 until sometime in 2016.

www.plan94.org

DirtyMax
03-24-2009, 12:12 AM
I don't see the tollway down near Kenosha... oh wait... :rolleyes:

pOrk
03-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Wow, thats not good.

Al
03-24-2009, 01:22 AM
I don't see the tollway down near Kenosha... oh wait... :rolleyes:

What do you mean by :rolleyes:? Is there a tollbooth I am not seeing?

Car Guy
03-24-2009, 02:26 AM
It will definitely be a HUGE inconvenience for all but the result will be pure sexy time compared to what it is now. Take the Marquette interchange for example, that was a HUGE inconvenience for years but now that it's done I want to drive through just because......:burnout

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Sweet just think of all the Racine and Kenosha County Sheriff jobs that can be added with an additional lane. They should be able to generate atleast another 25% of revenue during this speed trap expansion.

Personally I think this is a huge waste of money. Better off spending the cash on making a freeway that goes around Milwaukee and heads to Madison. That would lesson traffic a helluva lot more.

DocDave
03-24-2009, 08:22 AM
I think this mess is going to make the Marquette project look like a walk in the park. I could avoid the Marquette, this one will be hard to avoid.

Got Boost
03-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Sweet just think of all the Racine and Kenosha County Sheriff jobs that can be added with an additional lane. They should be able to generate atleast another 25% of revenue during this speed trap expansion.

Personally I think this is a huge waste of money. Better off spending the cash on making a freeway that goes around Milwaukee and heads to Madison. That would lesson traffic a helluva lot more.
Why is it a waste of money??? The traffic will suck but in the end it will be nice..

blackhorse
03-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I think this mess is going to make the Marquette project look like a walk in the park. I could avoid the Marquette, this one will be hard to avoid.

I agree 100% this will effect all of us at some point:mad:

Nick
03-24-2009, 08:33 AM
this will be great. Traffic is sometimes a pain in the dick going that way. We do need toll ways though.

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Cause it doesn't need 4 lanes. Atleast not down in Racine and Kenosha. I've driven that road a gazillion times and besides accidents or construction it's never an issue.

Shit they just redid the Milwaukee country stretch not that long ago. The built in those huge shoulders, why didn't they make it 4 lanes then? Freeway's shouldn't have to have major reconstruction every 8-10 years.

And it doesn't solve the problems. The problem is the amount of freight traffic that is trying to get to Madison or the West part of the State, but the freeway forces them to go into Milwaukee which clogs up the traffic.

BOSS LX
03-24-2009, 08:48 AM
And it doesn't solve the problems. The problem is the amount of freight traffic that is trying to get to Madison or the West part of the State, but the freeway forces them to go into Milwaukee which clogs up the traffic.

A bypass for the 894 bypass would be a great idea!

Plum Crazy
03-24-2009, 10:48 AM
they should just put tolls coming into the state, make those IL drivers pay 5 bucks to get into WI.

That_Guy
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
this will be great. Traffic is sometimes a pain in the dick going that way. We do need toll ways though.
we pay taxes in the state there is no reason for toll ways.. look at il... they have toll ways and there roads suck donkey dick anyways

floaters
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
they should just put tolls coming into the state, make those IL drivers pay 5 bucks to get into WI.

make those cocksukers pay 20 bucks to get in, they will have to if they want to go to their vacation properties :loser

wrath
03-24-2009, 11:38 AM
They should institute tollways. The only reason there is a ton of non-semi traffic is from people working in Illinois but living in Wisconsin avoiding salestax and property tax. I94 from Milwaukee to Madison would be more beneficial, or a way to bypass Milwaukee County altogether by cutting through Waukesha County.

Flicktitty
03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Great.... this is gonna be wonderful trying to get cars to GLD...it won't effect travel from my house to chicago cause i live far enough west.

Got Boost
03-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Cause it doesn't need 4 lanes. Atleast not down in Racine and Kenosha. I've driven that road a gazillion times and besides accidents or construction it's never an issue.

Shit they just redid the Milwaukee country stretch not that long ago. The built in those huge shoulders, why didn't they make it 4 lanes then? Freeway's shouldn't have to have major reconstruction every 8-10 years.

And it doesn't solve the problems. The problem is the amount of freight traffic that is trying to get to Madison or the West part of the State, but the freeway forces them to go into Milwaukee which clogs up the traffic.Yeah 94 west should be 3 lanes from Milw to Madison .. 2 lanes is LAME

juicedimpss
03-24-2009, 12:40 PM

i think the traffic problems are more stemmed from dickbags who wait till the last second to get into the proper lane for the direction they want to go.
i really think the damn sheriffs should sit in the v of the interchanges in the morning and hand out tickets to those jackoffs.

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Again that's dealing with the problem at one small interchange. Why does it have to be 4 lanes down in Kenosha and Racine? I don't understand why that needs to be done. And if they want to help fix that, change the airport onramp in both directions so that people don't have to cross 4 lanes in a small time frame to get off.

94greenbandit
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Great.... this is gonna be wonderful trying to get cars to GLD...it won't effect travel from my house to chicago cause i live far enough west.

Good thing I can take the back roads from Mukwonago to get to GLD

juicedimpss
03-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Again that's dealing with the problem at one small interchange. Why does it have to be 4 lanes down in Kenosha and Racine? I don't understand why that needs to be done. And if they want to help fix that, change the airport onramp in both directions so that people don't have to cross 4 lanes in a small time frame to get off.

i think these parts go hand in hand. looks like they are forcasting a population change in those areas.

DirtyMax
03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
What do you mean by :rolleyes:? Is there a tollbooth I am not seeing?

It's because I feel the state could use one down there and they've still ignored it. Then we all wouldnt have to be paying for these roads all the time when we aren't the only ones who use them.

Car Guy
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
What they did 8-10 years ago was just a facelift per say, the current project will be a COMPLETE re-design and overhaul. The reason why they are doing this now is because in less time than you think the entire area between Milwaukee & Chicago will be one HUGE population of people. Millions of $$$ have been spent in researching every aspect of this project so it's not something that they're doing just for the hell of it. In a nutshell this project is being done NOW to prevent any possible LARGER problems in the future.....

Which if you ask me is the way everything should be done, because then you would never have any issues snowballing at the 'last minute'......

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I agree in the thinking in advance. But for populations to explode in areas, don't you first need jobs?

I can be talked into seeing where the Milwaukee County side of it could use some tweaking. But I just don't see it south of that. I'd say if anything 94 coming from the West is more of a priority or 43 coming south into Milwaukee.

Car Guy
03-24-2009, 01:29 PM
It would be nearly impossible to plan projects of this size around economic swings (good or bad), the planning for this one started 10 years ago and it finally getting underway. Projects like this move VERY slow and once moving can't be stopped.....

However, the argument could also be made that this project will CREATE and BRING jobs to the area......:shades

Flicktitty
03-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree in the thinking in advance. But for populations to explode in areas, don't you first need jobs?

I can be talked into seeing where the Milwaukee County side of it could use some tweaking. But I just don't see it south of that. I'd say if anything 94 coming from the West is more of a priority or 43 coming south into Milwaukee.

getting on and off the freeway once you get south out of milwaukee county is a F'n joke imo. too long of on/off ramps, frontage roads, just seems like a really dumb way of having it.

Car Guy
03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
That will all be a thing of the past with the new design.....:thumbsup

03CVLX
03-24-2009, 01:34 PM
I know one of the major changes will be straightening out the plainfield curve. That alone is a major necessity. How many semis roll over in that curve a year, usually 2-3. I can see the argument for 4 lanes in Racine/Kenosha, but At least those stupid scissor ramps will be gone.

juicedimpss
03-24-2009, 01:34 PM
However, the argument could also be made that this project will CREATE and BRING jobs to the area......:shades

i agree it will bring some money to the area.
:thumbsup

DirtyMax
03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Judging by how industrial even Oak Creek is becoming, I'd say that this is a necessary project. There's nowhere left to develop in the city so everything is moving out to the 'burbs. Alot of places are building in OC because it's a good outlying area between Chicago and Milwaukee and it provides decent freeway access with emphasis on just decent....

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Hopefully you guys are right. I've just never driven up or down to Chicago and thought "man this needs to be 4 lanes". I've thought "man this should be like 85mph" many times. I think all it's going to do is be a 4 lane speed trap.

Not sure how this fits into the govt's demands for more mass transit either. Seems to me to promote more car driving.

Goat Roper
03-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Madison to Milwaukee = 3 lanes each side would be great. 27th Street sure will look diff; http://www.plan94.org/pdf/27th%20Street%20Interchange.pdf

wrath
03-24-2009, 03:12 PM
getting on and off the freeway once you get south out of milwaukee county is a F'n joke imo. too long of on/off ramps, frontage roads, just seems like a really dumb way of having it.

Long on/off ramps are everywhere except Wisconsin. It's nice when you can get up to 70 without the car laboring before you merge into traffic. Here without a V8 you have to wind 'er pretty tight to get 55mph.

40 years ago when Michigan built its roads you see ones like the I69/475 Interchange in Flint, MI. That is a BEAUTIFUL interchange. Even though Flint has been falling apart for twenty years all the expressways are lit so bright you don't need headlights at night and they're so smooth you can still race on 'em without chunking tires or launching into your competitor.

Prince Valiant
03-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Not sure how this fits into the govt's demands for more mass transit either. Seems to me to promote more car driving.That's always a bizarre argument...people aren't going to just get in and drive around because there is an extra lane of traffic. More people may travel on this road and relieve congestion in other areas(thus reducing the need for expansion elsewhere)...and any restriction to local economic growth due to too restrictive and infrastructure may mean more traffic occurs, but that's really a benifit since it'll reflect in an increase in the local economic activity....but it doesn't force people to drive who wouldn't otherwise being driving for a purpose onto the road.

And mass transit (particularly rail) is such a folly...it's not like all the jobs are centrally located anymore...the jobs are far more spread out than when mass transit was more popular. Likewise, who goes straight home anymore? Many run erands after work, go to the kids soccer games, grab a bite to eat or stop at the grocery store etc. There are distinct segments that benifit from such mass transit, but they are far in the minority of those that need such services that can't be better served by buses...and those that perhaps could best be served by rail, the benifits hardly outweigh the cost of an effective rail system.

Karps TA
03-24-2009, 03:26 PM
don't get me wrong I don't want a rail system. I think they ruin cities and make them look like shit. Not too mention I love my car. It's just something that SE WI has been trying to push on the people for a long time, like the monorail on the Simpsons. I'm just surprised they would rather take some of that lane money and use it for the choo choo.

Adding an extra lane doesn't necessarily mean it solves traffic problems either. I've been in Atlanta in rush hour on a 6 lane road and stuck in traffic jams.

Car Guy
03-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Monorail, Monorail, Monorail.....:rolf :rolf :rolf

Plum Crazy
03-24-2009, 04:28 PM
if they Should do anything, its make the bypass 4 lanes, Last year a truck lost its load on the turn, it was closed all day, it takes an hr of your day just making up for the 1000 feet of bypass.

michelle
03-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm just glad the Chicago Tollway roads are almost done. It's so quick to get through Chicago now!

1997 Trans-Am
03-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm just glad the Chicago Tollway roads are almost done. It's so quick to get through Chicago now!

x2. traffic sucked a year ago driving down to chicago. huge traffic jams in the evening. now theres hardly any traffic!

94 in kenosha/racine never was really that bad. its usually an nice drive. it does get a little congested but clears up once you hit the border.

Voodoo Chick
03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh.......more construction.....yay.

turbogarrett
03-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Spend the $$ on things that are truly broken like all the sidestreets. I do like the idea of tolls for fibs:)

pOrk
03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Tolls crack me up in Illinois. They charge you tolls to pay for freeway construction, but then you get to your destination and take it up the ass paying 10.25% sales tax. VERY NICE

Reverend Cooper
03-24-2009, 08:47 PM
I am really happy i live on the northside now

DirtyMax
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Madison to Milwaukee = 3 lanes each side would be great. 27th Street sure will look diff; http://www.plan94.org/pdf/27th%20Street%20Interchange.pdf

I wholeheartedly approve what they're doing with this one in particular!!

Al
03-25-2009, 05:50 AM
I wholeheartedly approve what they're doing with this one in particular!!

I agree on that one! I almost got sandwiched by an 18wheeler when some broad decided to change lanes without signaling. He ended up going on an off road excursion.

Another ramp that needs work is the 7-mile road exit.
I frequent Kettle Moraine Hardwoods, which is just north of Valenti Motorcars. When I get off there while heading south bound, I have to do a u-turn in the median and then yield to the off ramp. This can be a problem in cars where you sit lower to the ground because you can never tell if those cars are using the exit.

03CVLX
03-25-2009, 08:29 AM
7 mile road is also being totally redesigned and rebuilt. There are pictures of each interchange as they call them on the plan94 website.