PDA

View Full Version : FS: Crane 1.6 Rockers, BBK Shorty Headers

95 TA - The Beast
03-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey guys, I am redoing the motor in the Camaro, so I have a few items for sale:

Crane Gold 1.6 Self-Aligning 3/8" stud rocker arms SOLD
BBK Chrome 1-5/8" Shorty Headers & y-pipe w/cat-pipe & high-flow cat $250

The rockers have about 20k miles on them and include poly-locks. The headers have only about 5k miles on them and include the y-pipe as well as a high-flow cat and a cat-pipe.

They are on the current motor, but will be pulled off and available this weekend. I can have pics available when they are removed.

I will give a price break if you want both. Please feel free to make an offer.

Max 93
03-20-2009, 09:48 PM
you just couldn't leave this car alone could you ?

Yooformula
03-20-2009, 09:49 PM
does he ever? Dennis, LT1 or LS1?

95 TA - The Beast
03-20-2009, 10:53 PM
It is a '95 Z28 Convertible LT1/T56 car... Red exterior, graphite interior with a black top.

Well, you guys know I have to at least make it 'mine'...;)

Nothing major on this one... It was a stock block, heads/cam setup with the trimmings that made 389rwhp as a 350... All I am doing is a 383, same heads/cam, but longtubes that maximize the cam and the rest of the stuff to 'finish' it off... :headbang

Last year I redid the brakes (LS1 upgraded already), new clutch, sway bars, stereo and a complete cleanup/redo of anything worn out/sloppy, along with chrome 17x9.5" ZR1s...

This year it is a 383 forged bottom end, same cam/heads with everything else new on the motor, rebuilding the T56, probably new carpet and custom sub box and that should be it...

Next year will be a paint job, probably a hood and maybe a new windshield... So, nothing major, just the 'normal' standard progression till it is 'done'... :devil

Firefighter Z
03-22-2009, 03:03 PM
PM sent Dennis

95 TA - The Beast
03-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Crane Gold 1.6 rockers are sold. Thanks!

1997 Trans-Am
03-22-2009, 06:47 PM
just curious Dennis, how much preload after zero lash did you use with those rockers?

95 TA - The Beast
03-24-2009, 07:45 PM
just curious Dennis, how much preload after zero lash did you use with those rockers?

Honestly, the biggest factor is preload is based upon the type and brand of hydraulic lifter you are running...

For a stock lifter I usually use between 1/2 and 3/4 turn past zero. Same goes for Crane OEMs, Comp Cams OEMs and most other OEM replacements. This is for *most* cams. For a specific high-rpm race cam setup with say a large stall, depending on the lifter, I will use up to 2 turns past zero lash (one case made max power with Crane OEM lifters at 3 turns past zero, but that can be getting close to lifter hydraulic range, and this case was a 7000rpm motor with a 4000+ stall and a huge hydraulic roller cam).

For certain other lifters, you really have to go by what the manufacturer recommends, with a case in point being the Comp Cams Type-R lifters, as they cannot run with anything more than 1/4 turn past zero, and usually it is best to shoot for about 1/8 turn past zero. Now this is entierly due to the design of the lifter and is far from any sort of OEM-spec design. It is meant to prevent pump-up and does so by having minimal preload and an internal valving that stabilizes the hydraulic action without allowing it to 'pump-up'.

Now, for a OEM-style lifter, you can actually use the preload the fine-tune the geometry for a given pushrod size. This is an advanced engine setup technique, but ideally with the proper length pushrod you can shoot for 1/2 to 3/4 past zero preload, but in certain cases where you may find after a rocker arm change, or a headgasket repair where you may deck the heads you may find the length of the pushrod you have is no longer 'ideal', and as long as the pushrod is long enough, you can give a little more preload (up to 2 turns on average) to maximize the on-valve roller-tip contact pattern. Again this helps for changes in regards to reusing parts on a rebuild basis, as for a all-new buildup (say new heads/cam) you should be measuring for proper pushrod length and ordering what is needed.

In my case, I am rebuilding the motor to a 383, reusing the heads/cam, in which case I really don't expect things to change drastically, but as always will be measuring and if I feel the rocker tip-to-valve tip cannot be optimized with the pre-load I'll just order new pushrods. It would suck as the ones I have are $90 Trick Flows, but I will do what is required for it to be proper.

1997 Trans-Am
03-24-2009, 10:03 PM
ok. damn good answer! i appreciate the long reply, it explained a lot of stuff that i had no idea about. The only reason i asked was because those are very similar to the ones that come with the hotcam kit. Im running just under a 1/2 turn and they chatter pretty good. i just wasnt sure how much is too much preload, or not enough. i may tighten it up slightly and see if they quiet down.

sorry to hijack your for sale ad.

95 TA - The Beast
03-24-2009, 10:10 PM
No problem on the for sale ad...

In regards to the 'chatter', it could be the way you are adjusting the rockers. As in if you go by the 'guides' online that have you do half the rockers at once, then the other half at once, I have found there are always a few out of adjustment.

Setting up the preload is one area there is no reason to take a shortcut on. If you want to do it right you adjust the rocker that is sitting on the base-circle while the rocker next to it is in motion.

If you want, I can show you how to do it the next time your are over. It doesn't take long.

Honestly, the rockers in the LT4 HOT cam kit ARE Crane Golds, just without the gold anodizing.

Also, self-aligning rockers do make a bit of a 'sewing-machine' noise to them. So what you are hearing may be totally normal for them.