PDA

View Full Version : LT-1 Headers......Whos got um

A B4C Z
03-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Any lt-1s with headers? let me know what you got....Im looking at the macs. My dad says go with long tubes now. This is the second set im ganna get and this is ganna be the last also. So I dont want to mess up and buy something Crapy again.

Let me know what you got....how they fit..... and what year.

Kyle

number1
03-01-2004, 12:31 PM
I got Jet Hot's. I like the way they sound, love the power they gave me, they were a huge PITA to install, but I think worth it. I have a 96 z also, I heard the FLP's are easier to install but they cost twice as much.

Crawlin
03-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Jet-Hot and Hooker are the same things. MAC's are good general headers. The long tubes will get you the best gains but at a slightly larger $. FLP long tubes are good because they include all the emmission fittings and both off road pipes AND cats. That is why they are so expensive. the Hooker's don't have emmission fittings i don't think, but they do have the o2 sensor hookups.

Number1, do your headers have the EGR and air fittings? Luckily with a '97 Z, you can use the o2 simms as well as lt1 edit to erase or change it so that the egr and air codes won't show up for emmission testing

Chris

number1
03-01-2004, 06:35 PM
No I do not have AIR fittings, I know you can get them with it, it's 40 dollars more if I remember correctly. With all the stuff I bought, the y-pipe, OTVC wires because I burnt my MSD's, O2 sensor sims, and extensions, I spend about 900 bucks. If I did it again, I would spend the 1200 dollars on the FLP's. Which come with everything. Jet hot are Hooker LT's that are Jet Hot coated BTW. Made by JH designed by Hooker.

Crawlin
03-01-2004, 06:51 PM
I *think* you can get a $100 credit from FLP if you get them without the cats. so that can bring the price down a bit more. And i've never had a problem with used coated headers :) so that could bring the price down too.

Chris

and number1 went through the long version of the differences between Jet Hot and Hooker headers :)

Crawlin
03-01-2004, 07:57 PM
but then again, it's all in what you want to do with the car. i've just been told that there are advantages to a mid length header like an Edelbrock or Mac headers over the long tubes.

Although like i said, it all depends on what you want to do with the car. I don't like doing things twice. Especially when that means having to buy things that lose value as much as headers. I'll sacrifice some torque and a bit of hp to be better suited later on. But that's ME.

Chris

Hetfield
03-01-2004, 10:37 PM
TPIS long tubes. The best out there by far, imo. :)

Zkid14
03-01-2004, 11:02 PM
same thing in everyone's opinion of LS-1 headers? What is the best bang for the buck....about to get my ls-1 and am on a BUDGET big time.

Crawlin
03-01-2004, 11:52 PM
hooker or jet hot's matt...

why? cause i had them :)

actually pacesetter makes a pretty decent long tube setup for those on a budget.

number1
03-02-2004, 10:58 AM
You could buy the pacesetters, have them sandblasted and send them to jethot to get them coated. You could do this for about the same price as the jet hot long tubes, plus you would have the y-pipe with the pacesetters.

If you dont want to do that, I would go either jethot or FLP's.

12secondGTP
03-02-2004, 11:00 PM
number1, what else do you have for the rest of your exhaust because it sounded mean as hell last year when you pulled away from me:thumbsup

Brent

number1
03-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks, It is Jet-Hot longtubes, mufflex y-pipe, and Borla catback. The Borla has the 2.5 inch plate in. It is pretty loud, after my cam I might have to tame it a little.