PDA

View Full Version : Met a guy with a 9 second mustang on the hwy last night

SlowStee
02-28-2004, 02:11 PM
i was pumpin gas at some gas station on the hwy, by colders......and met a guy with a 9 second mustang...was crazy i didnt believe him at first, he started his car up, and i have to say that was one scary idle......you could hear his SC spooling up......he says he runs like a 9.6 N/A, and im not sure what he runs with nos.....anyways, i told him about brewcitymuscle so hopefully well see him here soon......he seemed like a pretty cool guy

Crawlin
02-28-2004, 02:26 PM
has a supercharger but runs 9.6 N/A? that statement doesn't make sense.

What color was it? What year?

It's totally possible, and maybe it's my interest getting the best of me, just too many wannabes out there. I would love to see this car. We need more highpowered cars running the streets out there instead of the other crap cars on Hwy100

chris

SlowStee
02-28-2004, 02:40 PM
my bad if N/A doesnt mean what i thought it ment, i ment without nos......a supercharger is not all he had, he had a **** load of money put into into the car he said....i think the car was red with white stripes....(bad memory:D )....but if u see his car it says "f**k rice" on the back window...

Crawlin
02-28-2004, 04:19 PM
i didn't mean to bust ya out. was just wondering about the car. there was a green 99+ stang a year or two ago that said he was in the 9's, but was at gld running mid 12's :rolleyes:

I know of a red with white stripe '87-'93 GT running around, but didnt know it was anywhere in the 9's. we will see soon as the weather breaks :)

Chris

BAD LS1
02-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Well im gonna have to wave the :bsflag at this one !!!

I think if this car was really that fast some one would know of it from cponygo etc.... and would have seen or known about it

Maybe he runs 9.6 1/8th miles n/a???? :nutkick

Also the fact that you drive and F-body ( if he seen it, or you mentioned it) hes likley to poof his story considerably to make you think you dont have anything on him, I would be asking for time slips on the spot, and it better have the correct corresponding number on the window yet thats NOT fresh shoe polish on the time slip other wise i will call BS right then and there....:Hump

Im a knob when it comes to stuff like that, like those two ass clowns with the GN's that says the "fast" one runs 10's!! tell me why my 11 sec car was able to yank that car pretty hard on a roll with that guy doing a rolling boost build and everything! I hate false claims!!:fire

SlowStee
02-28-2004, 05:14 PM
i should have asked to see under his hood, i was pretty shocked when he told me the time, chances are ill see him on the hwy again, if i see him again ill drill him.......eventually ill get him to show up at oscars....ill search for him tonight :D ......i suppose he could be bsing........time will tell

SlowStee
02-28-2004, 05:16 PM
i also forgot to mention that it was a 5.0, think a notchback

Milw96Cobra
02-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Hopefully he gets up here... I'd be interested in hearing what all this thing has...

BAD LS1
02-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh ill be right there asking all the right questions and poking and proding at the stuff that makes me think its not a 9 sec car!

its not hard to makea car sound hairy!!, 1 loud blower, 1 large cam, 1 dumb ass owner, and 14 sec time slips !!

SlowStee
02-28-2004, 08:16 PM
hahaha...time will tell!!

Crawlin
02-28-2004, 08:27 PM
9.6 e.t.? shoulda asked what he traps ;)

Sam's notch is a 10.2 but i think it isn't all that easy to drop 6 more tenths at that time range. Besides, filling up at Speedway with it's 92 octane isn't exactly the best for a motor pushing that much boost/power. And I know i'd be looking for 93 at the very least. I don't care if it's only 1pt difference.

Chris

Crawlin
02-28-2004, 08:30 PM
BUT, i will say this, you just never know these days. Tom's car only runs 12's and Keith's GN only is 13's, but should be much faster ;)

Chris

SlowStee
02-28-2004, 08:45 PM
he wasnt filling up he was parked......he runs some race gas or somethin i dont know....i think he said 128 octane...dont remember

Crawlin
02-28-2004, 08:58 PM
AHHHH, well I *think* I may know who to talk to about this car. Got a peculiar instant message :) WILL BE a GREAT summer :)

SlowStee
02-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by z28kid98
WILL BE a GREAT summer :)
thats what i been sayin!!:rockwoot:

GRNDNL
02-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by FoRmuLa_DriVa
i think he said 128 octane...

Hey.....I'm going to have to get some of that.....:bling

SMS 1
02-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Tell him I'll bring my cessna, fill'er up! :goof

BAD LS1
02-29-2004, 09:42 AM
128 Ron+Mon eh'?

Thats aviation fuel son.... with anti burn inhibitor additives etc.... that sh-it is meant to operate under certain combustion temperatures only, its not meant for street engines that dont see those kinda combustion temps and probably doesnt work too well LOL.

Oh BTW i did get to see this wreck out too!! had some nice GHAY red neons under it, black hood.... no trick visible rear suspension components NEEDED to runs 9's;) Plus me and Chris talked to the original owner at Oscars too, the car ran 12.9's on its best day, probably slower now so were told... BHAHAHAHA

SlowStee
02-29-2004, 12:21 PM
hey , i was just repeating what i heard......i wasnt sticking up for him or anything............guess im gullable:mad: .........he made up some other bs stories too......he better hope he doesnt see me again:punch: :slap

BOSS LX
02-29-2004, 01:28 PM
No offense, but you should have no trouble picking out a 9 sec car!

These little biatches better live it up for the next month, because the big boys will be out soon!:D

Tom, those GN boys are a joke, I got next to them about 5 times last year, everytime they had issues!! Ya they had issues, they couldn't hang with a real 10 sec car!
:D

Al
02-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Was it black with a "bigger) guy driving it who is probably in his 40-50's??? Ive seen an insanely fast pony down there with a s/c that ran away from a 11 sec GN. So your story has some credibility. Also, did it have some mean rubber on the ground in back??? Was the s/c whine very loud?

Crawlin
02-29-2004, 02:39 PM
formula driver, don't worry, no one's picking on you personally. everyone hears things and they repeat them. it's no big deal. i would have come on here saying the same thing had i been you. like tom said, if it is the same car, we talked to the original owners of the car. or atleast they were previous owners. from the time it got from oscar's to speedway, it had gained .8 in the 1/4 :) went from 10.40's to 9.60's :) that's what I heard, hahaha. but like Andy said, it's getting nicer out, and the big boys will be out soon. So time will tell. If it DOES run that, well then i guess some of us will look dumb. I'll take my chances since it's few and far between.

Chris

99cav
02-29-2004, 11:04 PM
I think i know the guy youre talking about. hes friends with my neighbor. He has a red GT foxbody with white stripes. He also has track numbers written on the back with white shoe polish. His car is STOCK. he tryed to convince me he had a vortec with a 22 pound pulley and a 200 shot of NOS. The kid is just a dumbass.... So my buddy asked him what his compression would be to run that kind of horsepower.... he said "it doesnt matter". So we asked him to open his hood (which had to be untied cause the latch was broken) and it was bone stock. Apparently the 5.0 intake manifold is a supercharger? I was not aware of that! :bsflag ah well.... some peoples kids....

jbiscuit
03-01-2004, 09:26 AM
this car was up on highway last night for a little bit. I got along side him in second gear and waited for him to go. I was even staring at him trying to let him know it was go time and he didn't even down shift. So I dropped back and put it back in 4th. He haad 3 other people in the car also. If this was a 9.6 second car he should have dropped the hammer and let me eat it but I got nothing out of him. Has anyone run this car? Is it quick at all? It sounded hairy but I figured why the he11 not, I will try to run him. I did race a new body style GT and lets just say he wasn't happy with the result...

here's me::3gears: here's him after defeat: :S:

99cav
03-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Yeah he was out on hwy last night. My buddy jon was trying to get a piece of him in his cobra. Too bad the guy in the foxbody knew who i was (and knew he would lose) so he admitted his car was slow. He told me the previous owner of it said it ran high 13's. I don't believe that either, cause my other friend with a 2000 cavalier kept up with him from a roll and he had 3 people in the car. ah well

lotsals1
03-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by BOSS LX
No offense, but you should have no trouble picking out a 9 sec car!

These little biatches better live it up for the next month, because the big boys will be out soon!:D

Tom, those GN boys are a joke, I got next to them about 5 times last year, everytime they had issues!! Ya they had issues, they couldn't hang with a real 10 sec car!
:D Yah those two dorks in the GN'S thought they were so bad ass last year -one of them "the faster one:rolleyes: "
Pulled next to me did like a 30mph brake stall and thought he had me lil to his surprise by the time he looked in his rear veiw i had already hit second and was over a car length on him http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif then him and his butt buddy turned around-One week later i was at georgie porgies and he and his buddy walked over to my car and were talking i was behind themhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/g0/nodassent.gif and he claimed i sprayed him then i pointed out the fact that the main n2o line wasnt even connected to the solenoids and the bottle has never been mountedhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b/coolgleam.gif the i started picking on him and let him know the car had 2:73's in it --the buttplug argued and said no way because i flew right byhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b/smokin.gifThen his buddy tried me with some skank in the pass we went 5 times and i shut down when i hit 2nd because i was like 2 car lengths on him -the spam purse he was with finally said to him "why are you trying he beat you every time" I was laughing so freaking hard ,its bad when the hose beast next to ya says you got ownedhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/super.gif

jbiscuit
03-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Nice kills Tim....I see those GNs around EVERYWHERE in the summer. Those 2 guys are always together also.

lotsals1
03-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by BlueBullet
Was it black with a "bigger) guy driving it who is probably in his 40-50's??? Ive seen an insanely fast pony down there with a s/c that ran away from a 11 sec GN. So your story has some credibility. Also, did it have some mean rubber on the ground in back??? Was the s/c whine very loud? lmao if you know that guy "heavy guy " ask him if he remembers me and him going at it on hwy100 just past bluemound--but this guy knew he had no chance and asked what i had done and gave me props
now keith would inilate me :eek: but he doesnt boast about his ET--most guys i know with low ET's dont advertise ithttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif so most of the time if they say 9's 10's whatever they mostly are 12's
if i do good this year no one will know "clocks off" and yes chris this is aimed at youhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/winknudge.gif lmao you know where i'm commin from on that one J/K anyways

GRNDNL
03-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by lotsals1
Yah those two dorks in the GN'S thought they were so bad ass last year -one of them "the faster one:rolleyes: "

First of all, we need to get the terminology correct, GN owners are not dorks, losers, ass wipes, ect.......we're all "Ass Clowns" like Tom said....:durr So get it right will ya......http://www.v8buick.com/images/smilies/rant.gif

I heard the Stang is really a 9 Second car, he beat his buddy, who beat his neigbor who raced a Pink Civic that ran 10s, said so in shoe polish on the rear window.....:durr Anybody that runs the Stang and beats it probably has a low 9/high 8 second car....:thumbsup

Does this guy have any $$$?....

Crawlin
03-01-2004, 01:51 PM

if i do good this year no one will know "clocks off" and yes chris this is aimed at youhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/winknudge.gif lmao you know where i'm commin from on that one

BAAAHAHAHAHAHA. Don't try and hold e.t.s from me. I know people in the tower :) I will also be running clocks off this year. First, you'll get more runs. Second, most of the cars that run that lane are big tire cars or slicked up so i don't have to worry about following a street tire car.

Chris

GRNDNL
03-01-2004, 02:08 PM
I will also be running clocks off this year.

Now that is funny, you buy a new pair of tenny shoes?.....Thats all the "running" you'll be doing this year.......:Hump

jbiscuit
03-01-2004, 02:08 PM
he bought a NOS fogger kit for his ROVER:rockwoot:

GRNDNL
03-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by yellow wagon
he bought a NOS fogger kit for his ROVER:rockwoot:

More like a fogger kit for the driver...:party: :headbang

BAD LS1
03-01-2004, 02:31 PM
BAAAHAHAHAHAHA. Don't try and hold e.t.s from me. I know people in the tower :) I will also be running clocks off this year. First, you'll get more runs. Second, most of the cars that run that lane are big tire cars or slicked up so i don't have to worry about following a street tire car.

Chris

Looks like ill have to follow the trend and go clocks off too!!!;)

the more runsand following other cars with slicks sounds very appealing to me!!

IMO they should use 1 lane or street tires and the other for drag radials and slicks etc...

lotsals1
03-01-2004, 05:59 PM
more or less i was stating that Chris cant keep anything to himself
AHHHHH yes the ol Shiit talking forum:haveabeer

Crawlin
03-01-2004, 06:06 PM
i can keep everything and anything to myself :) but when it comes to making money and racing. other people talk, it just seems that EVERYONE comes to me for clarification and to see if the rumors are true ;)

As for keith, i'm young and have been in athletics all my life. i can outrun that grandpa car of yours no prob. my sneakers are da bomb!!

GRNDNL
03-01-2004, 07:31 PM

As for keith, i'm young and have been in athletics all my life. i can outrun that grandpa car of yours no prob. my sneakers are da bomb!!

I have to give you credit, you know your limitations....

Now we have the Poster Boy and the Sneaker Boy......:rockwoot:

Yooformula
03-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Ahhh, the sh|t talking forum of old:party:

Crawlin
03-01-2004, 09:20 PM
it's that time of year again :)

What you got grandpa keith? I hope you got more than that small hairdryer on that monte carlo of yours. Beeyond Engineering is coming after you

GRNDNL
03-01-2004, 10:30 PM
it's that time of year again :)

What you got grandpa keith? I hope you got more than that small hairdryer on that monte carlo of yours. Beeyond Engineering is coming after you

Shhhh, its a secret..;) No more little baby turbo for me...any idea what GTQ means?...:confused

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/AE/2E/30420142-4c4c-028001E0-.jpg

Crawlin
03-01-2004, 10:55 PM
GTQ?

Is that the new Grand Turismo game? so that means that you have a stage 4 turbo huh? lotta lag i bet ;)

Gonna be cool to see a whole bunch of mid 80's boats body rolling through the tracks. I wonder if there is an updated game pad that allows for a greater turning ratio to help lug that thing around a horseshoe. My sneakers do a fine job though i must say

sik micz tech
03-02-2004, 02:03 PM
i happen to kno the kid with the so called 9 second stang. if u see it around it was recently in a accident so it now has a black hood. the car doesn't have nos or a SC. he has no money into the car. it costed him just over 7 grand to buy the car his name is "andrew" and if u see the car around town you will see in the back windows it now says 10.8 in the upper corner. the fact of the matter is his car tops out at a little over 80 because of the gear ratio and the 4:10 gears in the back. a dodge neom was able to keep up with the stang in ?? very well when the neon only has a custom intake and a cat back system. so if anyone happens to see the kid with the stang tell him to open the hood and show u the SC most likly he will point at his altinator and the nos will be nowhere to be found cause it is not there. the stickers he has on his car he got a store that sells stickers. the car was tested and only ran a little over 14 seconds. so if anyone has a 9 second car show this kid what a 9 seconds looks like as it pulls away from him.

BAD LS1
03-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by sik micz tech
i happen to kno the kid with the so called 9 second stang. if u see it around it was recently in a accident so it now has a black hood. the car doesn't have nos or a SC. he has no money into the car. it costed him just over 7 grand to buy the car his name is "andrew" and if u see the car around town you will see in the back windows it now says 10.8 in the upper corner. the fact of the matter is his car tops out at a little over 80 because of the gear ratio and the 4:10 gears in the back. a dodge neom was able to keep up with the stang in ?? very well when the neon only has a custom intake and a cat back system. so if anyone happens to see the kid with the stang tell him to open the hood and show u the SC most likly he will point at his altinator and the nos will be nowhere to be found cause it is not there. the stickers he has on his car he got a store that sells stickers. the car was tested and only ran a little over 14 seconds. so if anyone has a 9 second car show this kid what a 9 seconds looks like as it pulls away from him.

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!:rolf

Milw96Cobra
03-02-2004, 03:15 PM

Do you realize how big of idiot you just made yourself look like...

#1) He paid 7 GRAND for that pile of ****??!! Bahahahahahahaha!! I wouldnt have even paid 2 1/2... Someone got bent over and told to grab their ankles.

#2) 4.10 gears... this I will believe, as we were shifting at relatively the same points... HOWEVER... 80mph.. bawahahahaha... umm you do realize that at the stock mustang 5.0 redline of 5750rpms... in 5th gear that equals 157mph... or if its an automatic, in overdrive that would be 134mph.
If it tops out at 80mph... that would mean it would have gears around the ~7.0 ratio... which would render 1st and 2nd gear useless. :lol:

Nice touch though with the Autozone stickers... you have made sense for the first time in your post.

By the way, I did race him... 2nd gear to start of 3rd... I let him get a good jump on me, and pulled way past him in 3rd... my car is a ~13.0 car...right now

Think 14.5's for the almighty 9 second mustang boys.

Ugh... this is going to be an interesting summer.

99cav
03-02-2004, 03:41 PM
it just sad people have to mis label their cars! Whats the point? Everyones going to find out your lying anyways! If you want people to think your fast then make your car fast... Some people just need a kick in the balls!:nutkick

Crawlin
03-02-2004, 06:01 PM

HAHAHAHAHA...... OWNED!!!!!!!

And yes, people WILL find out very quick about your car. Just look at what this post had for info. People end up finding out what the car has and what it really runs. Oh well. To each their own.

sik micz tech
03-02-2004, 06:03 PM
it is not a manual car it is a automatic with a 3 speed trans with a ratchet shifter

FiErO-5spd
03-02-2004, 06:06 PM
The Stang, whom i also happen to know, has no supercharger. It runs mid twelves and tops out at about 112 mph. He got in an accident with a truck about 3 weeks ago, and is using the black hood and repainting it. He paid 6000 for the car, and whether you believe it or not, the noise making it sound like a supercharger is really just his alternator gone bad :wow. So if you see him on highway racing, it is pretty fast, but not unbelievable. He beat a Subaru WRX STI with no problem and that neon that supposedly keeps up with him, got its ass royally handed to him because the Stang dropped it in at 35mph and was spinning all over while pulling on him hard.

Also the car was bored out to a 332 and had a cam put in along with all the other stuff that goes with boring it out.

Crawlin
03-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Ford motor 5.0 = 302
.030 over = 306
.040 over = 308

So the only way to get a 331(which is the normal size that people talk about) is with a stroker crank.

Sucks about the truck though. I had a mustang with a supercharger(i.e. bad power steering pulley)

SlowStee
03-02-2004, 07:47 PM
this guys a dousch bag.......i really wanna see him again

BOSS LX
03-02-2004, 08:18 PM
You guys mean the noise comming from under my hood, could just be a bad alternator?

That explans everything!!!:D

Yooformula
03-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by BOSS LX
You guys mean the noise comming from under my hood, could just be a bad alternator?

That explans everything!!!:D

I knew it!:devil I bet you jack up the front end too before you launch:goof

FiErO-5spd
03-02-2004, 11:37 PM
sorry, i mistaked, it's a 306, he bored it .030 over, i just mis-typed

Milw96Cobra
03-03-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by FiErO-5spd
The Stang, whom i also happen to know, has no supercharger. It runs mid twelves and tops out at about 112 mph. He got in an accident with a truck about 3 weeks ago, and is using the black hood and repainting it. He paid 6000 for the car, and whether you believe it or not, the noise making it sound like a supercharger is really just his alternator gone bad :wow. So if you see him on highway racing, it is pretty fast, but not unbelievable. He beat a Subaru WRX STI with no problem and that neon that supposedly keeps up with him, got its ass royally handed to him because the Stang dropped it in at 35mph and was spinning all over while pulling on him hard.

Also the car was bored out to a 332 and had a cam put in along with all the other stuff that goes with boring it out.

So wait... how is it that my ~13 second Cobra was able to pull on this supposedly mid 12 second car?

Crawlin
03-03-2004, 08:37 AM
well, from a roll it's a bit different unless he out HP you by a LOT. Yoosof could keep up with me with his mid 12sec. car from a roll, but i was high 11's. Just the 5speed vs the auto having to downshit. The original owner of the car did say it's best was a 12.80-12.90 and they arent people who lie(Sam and Tina)

FiErO-5spd
03-03-2004, 04:07 PM
It was mid twelves with slicks and if he was losing to you somehow, are you sure he was racing because he likes to screw around alot before he actually does the race. BTW he drives it with a 3 spd ratchet shifter.

Milw96Cobra
03-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Well he certainly had the :wow face on when I was pulling by.... then asked what all is done to my car.

So, I'll let you make your own assumptions from that.

FiErO-5spd
03-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Sorry i didn't mean anything by it, but i was just saying he MIGHT have been, didn't mean to dis ya man.

Milw96Cobra
03-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Nah, I didn't take any offense to what you said....

for some reason, what i type on message boards always comes out much harsher than if i were in person saying the same thing... :cool:

92BLACKZ28
03-14-2004, 12:20 AM
my buddy smoked that kid with a stock 00 ws6

lotsals1
03-14-2004, 07:29 PM
just remember TORQUE is where its at --without it hp is useless

Syclone0044
03-14-2004, 08:17 PM
just remember TORQUE is where its at --without it hp is useless I have to disagree with that. Torque definitely makes a car more fun to drive, I have no doubt about that. But you can go really fast without much torque, think about a crotch rocket even a Hayabusa does not have 100 LB-FT torque yet it is 9 seconds fast. Or an IndyCar/GrandPrix/Formula1, they are all extremely fast and very high revving with not a lot of torque. NASCAR cars are also very high revving without a lot of torque. I think the torque they put out is in the 400-500 LB-FT range and they make 800 HP in the 9000-9500 range.

I guess one way of looking at it would be to say that torque is just saying where you make your power in relation to above/below 5252 RPM.

Crawlin
03-14-2004, 09:07 PM
well that statement is true when it comes to a street car. you can't compare us to a nascar because they don't go under 7000rpm on a circle track so they don't need gobs of torque. same thing with CART type cars, lightweight helps a ton. crotch rockets aren't comparable either cause you are taking a 500lb object vs. a 3500lb object. that '9 second material' put in our cars would suck balls and then the torque statement would hold true. :)

GRNDNL
03-14-2004, 09:47 PM
HP is just a math equation anyway, torque is a real measurement.

lotsals1
03-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Ok you are talking nascar --how many people drive those -
and there you are talking power to weight raitio-now what does a bike weigh vs hp
what does a nascar weigh vs hp
cart same thing
street cars are what we are talking about --now if i gut my street car --to me its no longer a street car
just because i can drive it down a street doesnt make it a street car
And if you need race gas definatly not
so your saying if your truck had 500hp and 250ftlbs you could take someone in a drag race that has 400hp and 325ftlbs
In a drag race -if the torque is low -the motor is working against itself --say the same cars above did a 1/8 mile who do ya think would win?
Now that is percisely why you can not judge a race from a roll
from a dead stop -- "a real race" torque would prevail
if i were to choose between 25hp and 10ftlbs i would chose the 10ftlbs

BadAzzGTA89
03-14-2004, 10:15 PM
TORQUE i love it my car had more TORQUE tan HP stock i agree it makes it more fun lmao:goof

Prince Valiant
03-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Torque of course, IS what is pushes a car...no matter what the HP is.

However, there ARE advantages for building for HP though.

The thing is, yes, HP is a function of torque and RPM....but what good is RPM's? Well, since we run our engines through the trans and rear-end, it is very important.

If I have a motor that makes 350ft-lbs of torque at 2500rpm, and produces 250hp at 4500, that means that I probably shouldn't gear very aggressively, going with mild 2.73's so that I can generate acceptable speed. Through the 1:1 4th gear, I am putting down all of 955ft-lbs of torque to the pavement at my peak.

Now, let's say that you built a high HP motor...very similar, but one that needs the revs to hit it's peak. So now you've got a 350ft-lbs of torque @ 5000rpm and you could guess HP on a motor like that would probably be 480hp @ 8000rpm.

Now we've got two motors producing the same torque, but one obviously has the ability to breath and move more air in and out quickly (this is the work that we are refering to when we talk about HP, as power is a unit of work of course). If we geared both vehicles the same, my guess would be the low hp version would do just as well...but obviously from the power peaks, we need more gear in the second motor.

So geared with 4:56's as one would probably do with such a high reving motor, that translates to 1596 ft-lbs to the pavement in 1:1 4th gear...a 67% increase in the torque that is what actually accelerates the car.

Gear the first motor as such though, and your running out of breath halfway down the track.

So HP is important, in a round-about way...however, 4:56's in a street driven car would likely not be very satisfying.

IMO, the main concern isn't building for HP per se though...I would contend that one should decide where you want your power band around, build the motor for as much torque as it can generate in those ranges, and then gear accordingly.

That is the one thing the import guys are right about...you CAN gear your car to make up for lack of torque. It is just that many of the low displacemment NA motors are so far down on it, it really becomes difficult to do so effectively to close the gap b/w an N/A 2.0 and a 5.7 v8.

BAD LS1
03-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Well its a good thing i got my trusty torque-less NA small block to fall back on;)

I would be forced to drive something that "doesnt" spin the tires in 2nd @ 35mph or less with LITTLE throttle input. Hmmm maybe not a bad idea, then i wouldnt need tires as often:thumbsup

Prince Valiant
03-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Tom, I don't get you sometimes...try sending whatever it is that you smoke/inject/snort over this way so that I can see things your way :goof

BAD LS1
03-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Prince Valiant
Tom, I don't get you sometimes...try sending whatever it is that you smoke/inject/snort over this way so that I can see things your way :goof

Here's a better understanding of where im coming from:
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3714&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

Read on and youll understand my sarcasm:goof

Prince Valiant
03-14-2004, 11:44 PM
reading that wasn't as fun as injecting, smoking, or snorting a narcotic :(

:goof

lotsals1
03-15-2004, 12:28 PM
here is what i'm getting at high hp on the street or q mile
doesnt mean **** if it takes a q mile to reach the peak hp
now --turbo ls1's are awsome on dyno's but they dont do much better than built n/a ls1's in the q mile with less hp
reason being a n/a ls1 makes its hp and tq faster and more efficient within the q mile --but if i raced one from a roll it would get me-why because its in a rpm range it will produce power
same with ricer fags-they never mess with me from a stand still
they sit there next to me at 4k when im driveing because they are in there power range-but if they launch at 4k from a dead stop "what happens" they bog down why no torque
they can sort of hang from a roll because the car is moveing
and doesnt need torque to get it out of the hole
so what you need to do is get a balance of power to weight
with the tq to match - now a car like a nascar im sure sux in the q mile- same with exotics

BAD LS1
03-15-2004, 12:45 PM
turbo ls1's are awsome on dyno's but they dont do much better than built n/a ls1's in the q mile with less hp

Right on brotha Tim !!!:rockwoot:

lotsals1
03-15-2004, 12:53 PM
6k bag o crap --twin setup is a lil better due to the smaller turboz
but i would like to see my spark plugs
hell they are getting 450rwhp outa stock ls1 headed cars now with about 405 in tq --not to shabby for such a tiny bore and only 346's

5LiterWes
03-15-2004, 01:02 PM
9.6 HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yah, I've run into this fool too, I met him at Autozone a few weeks ago, the dude is full of ****. He proceeded to tell me that he had a 383 STROKER, SUPERCHARGER - 35PSI, AND A 200 SHOT OF NAAAAAWZ. The car looks pretty shitty if you ask me. It may have a cam and a little bit of work done (weak HCI 306... maybe). I was tempted to ***** slap him from a dig to 40mph with my stock GTP just for shits and giggles but I really just wanted him to stop talking to me before I busted out luaghing so I just let it go.

p.s. I didn't read this whole thread so sorry if I'm late on any of this info.

-Wes

BAD LS1
03-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 5LiterWes
9.6 HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yah, I've run into this fool too, I met him at Autozone a few weeks ago, the dude is full of ****. He proceeded to tell me that he had a 383 STROKER, SUPERCHARGER - 35PSI, AND A 200 SHOT OF NAAAAAWZ. The car looks pretty shitty if you ask me. It may have a cam and a little bit of work done (weak HCI 306... maybe). I was tempted to ***** slap him from a dig to 40mph with my stock GTP just for shits and giggles but I really just wanted him to stop talking to me before I busted out luaghing so I just let it go.

p.s. I didn't read this whole thread so sorry if I'm late on any of this info.

-Wes

Dude, thats funny Sh-it right there!!!

This guy keeps modding it every week with diff combos all the time i see:goof

Ill be looking for this dorker this up coming weekend,

Wes you should have busted him out right then and there and called:bsflag

I know i would have as soon as i heard 383 stoker out of a ford motor and the 35 psi, prolly out of a powerdyne will be the next thing he'll say:durr And then spraying the WORLD ontop of that!!!

No wonder its gotta diff hood on it... its SOO god damn fast it blew the thing off;)

Tommy

BAD LS1
03-15-2004, 01:26 PM
6k bag o crap --twin setup is a lil better due to the smaller turboz
but i would like to see my spark plugs
hell they are getting 450rwhp outa stock ls1 headed cars now with about 405 in tq --not to shabby for such a tiny bore and only 346's

BWHAHAHAHAHA :rolf

Nuff said!!

5LiterWes
03-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by BADDLS1SS
Dude, thats funny Sh-it right there!!!

This guy keeps modding it every week with diff combos all the time i see:goof

Ill be looking for this dorker this up coming weekend,

Wes you should have busted him out right then and there and called:bsflag

I know i would have as soon as i heard 383 stoker out of a ford motor and the 35 psi, prolly out of a powerdyne will be the next thing he'll say:durr And then spraying the WORLD ontop of that!!!

No wonder its gotta diff hood on it... its SOO god damn fast it blew the thing off;)

Tommy

Haha, Yah I should of. I was just so taken back from the amount of fecal mater spewing forth from this guys mouth I just did'nt know what to do. Afterwords I had to call my freind and tell him I just met the biggest domestic ricer on the face of the earth. I just could'nt believe the crap he was trying to tell me. LOL. Anyways yah, watch out for this clown, and I'll run him for sure next time, HAHA. :banana

-Wes

edited for formatting

Al
03-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Stop your b!tchin'

Its not the torque or the HP numbers you are concerned about, it is the broad poweband of a big engine.

157 ft/lb @ 6k (about) of prelude muscle could beat a 5.0 from a roll. It was always the launch that sucked. FWD made it even worse.

Try racing ANY small engined car from a stop, both in SECOND gear. My stoc, speed density, vert pony smoked a 13 sec civic when we both started in second. I was well into 4th before he shifted out of second.

BTW- I had an SC on my pony three weeks ago. It scared civics especially when I wouldn't pop the hood. Too bad all that extra power wouldn't allow me to pass 4k because my spark plugs wouldn't fire.

Crawlin
03-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 5LiterWes
I was just so taken back from the amount of fecal mater spewing forth from this guys mouth I just did'nt know what to do.

My vote for best quote of the year so far!!! God damn that's hilarious!!!

Chris

Syclone0044
03-15-2004, 08:29 PM
turbo ls1's are awsome on dyno's but they dont do much better than built n/a ls1's in the q mile with less hp
reason being a n/a ls1 makes its hp and tq faster and more efficient within the q mile That's a really vague comparison.. When you say "built N/A LS1s" are you talking stock size or 400+ stroked cubic inches? And what turbo LS1s are you basing your reference off? There aren't very many! And there are even less that have made FULL balls to the walls 1/4 mi passes with everything they've got; so don't use "shakedown" or "test and tune" passes as your reference. Not only am I unconvinced that a N/A LS1 with less HP would be faster than a turbo LS1 in the quarter mile, but I'm also not convinced that a N/A LS1 is going to make it's HP and TQ "faster and more efficient within the quarter mile"????

Josh

Syclone0044
03-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by BlueBullet
Its not the torque or the HP numbers you are concerned about, it is the broad poweband of a big engine. I absolutely agree; it's the AVERAGE power the engine makes across its useable powerband. A peaky engine that makes 300 HP and an engine that makes 280 HP broad across it's RPMs, the 280HP is gonna win every time.

[i]BTW- I had an SC on my pony three weeks ago. Too bad all that extra power wouldn't allow me to pass 4k because my spark plugs wouldn't fire. [/B] Maybe try closing your spark plug gap to .030-.035"? Especially if you're still running a stock gap in the neighborhood of .045"-.060"!

Josh

lotsals1
03-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Syclone0044
That's a really vague comparison.. When you say "built N/A LS1s" are you talking stock size or 400+ stroked cubic inches? And what turbo LS1s are you basing your reference off? There aren't very many! And there are even less that have made FULL balls to the walls 1/4 mi passes with everything they've got; so don't use "shakedown" or "test and tune" passes as your reference. Not only am I unconvinced that a N/A LS1 with less HP would be faster than a turbo LS1 in the quarter mile, but I'm also not convinced that a N/A LS1 is going to make it's HP and TQ "faster and more efficient within the quarter mile"????

Josh Im talking 346 ls1's

BAD LS1
03-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Well there is not many LS1's that have turbos that owners can pony up the kinda $$$$$ for a full on turbo set up, built engine, and according drive train. So they settle for weak suck kits that produce meak results.

There is one twin turbo Z28 in my latest GM hightech that runs 10.60's @ 127... Yeah thats fast but not what one would expect from fully built 348" s/b , AFR heads, aggressive cam, High end twin turbo set up from charged air systems....

Rob Raymer's turbo Z28 went 9.70's with a built bigger cube s/b, heads, cam, his modified kit, tons of tuning....

Then there is Big Mike who went 9.30's on a bullet proof 348 CI short block, with good heads and cam all fom Cartek. Utilizing a 250hp shot and chassis tuning provided 9.30's.

As for the 346 NA stock s/b debate, would be the fastest @ 10.50 using just aftermarket heads and cam.

Damn well it looks like the sprayed small cube motors can run circles around the comprable big cube motors.

Unfortunantly The LS1 community isnt blessed with a factory installed turbo system from the begining but people sure found away to drive around that problem and sticking with the stock arichitecture and relying on N20 as main source of a power adder if obligated which seems to produce the best results by far.

Syclone0044
03-16-2004, 02:28 AM
Tom what are the respective vehicle weights of the cars you mentioned? Some of those cars are prone to extreme lightening which really skews the comparison. I would really be surprised if all of them are 3600# Street Cars. A good example is the fastest stock motor with heads & cam running 10.50s and then you have a turbo Z28 running 10.60s on the same stuff plus a turbo; my money is betting on two things. 1.) the 10.50 car is one of the lightest cars out of all competing stock+heads&cam cars, and 2.) the Z28 has a really weak tune and probably running on 93 octane and/or driving it to far less than its potential at the dragstrip.

So I'm not trying to argue anything you said; I'm just saying the examples you cited leaves too much vagueness for me to draw any conclusions. The only thing I can say without a doubt is that Nitrous is about the most "guaranteed" add on HP in existence. It's exceedingly rare that someone sprays a big shot and does not have significant increase in power. Can't say the same for turbos, superchargers, heads, cam, or stroker kits. Now if only the bottle never ran out...

Crawlin
03-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Big Mike's car(nitrous 348) is around 3400

Raymer's car was around 3700 because of all the turbo stuff

The head/cam cars are usually lighter, but at around 3300 per LS1tech racing series rules.

Mike Brown's 9.80 sec. twin turbo, head/cam, stock shortblock car weighed in at about 3300-3400 if i'm not mistaken

Harlan's, 10.00@142mph twin turbo head/cam, 6speed car was like 3500-3600 i think too.

And again, like I stated in previous posts, a LOT of it has to do with the fact that the MAF just can't read the air being pushed through it at say like 15psi of a turbo, so that requires another $3000 on TOP of the $8000 turbo kit for a FAST or SFI system. That or get funky with the tables in LS1edit. Alot of people don't have that kinda dough for all those headaches when a built 348 costs lik 7000, and even a built 382 all bore is like 10,000. when you spray the world at either of those, you'll end up with a faster time.

BAD LS1
03-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Well Boys its been fun!!! but i refuse to contribute to this pointless argument and continue to HI-Jack this thread of which as been OWNED by several of us now.

Back to Fast times at GM HIGH for me!!!:3gears:

GRNDNL
03-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Sounds to me that GM screwed up on the 4th gen F-Bodys and should have put a Turbo Charged V6 instead of a LS1, thats the one thing they did right on the 3rd gens....:D

BAD LS1
03-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Just stirring the drink are we Keith??
:goof

I'll just sit back with my feet up and wait to see what kinda explosive agreeance responce comes from certain individuals later on during the day:banana

Syclone0044
03-16-2004, 07:37 PM
LOL Keith!!! I had better not comment!! :durr