PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if a water softeners bad?

GTSLOW
03-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Just moved into a new place and our land lord said the water softener might need to be replaced or fixed. I've never dealt with one because I've never lived anywhere that had a well. So I have no idea how to tell? The water coming out of the faucet looks and tastes fine.

SSDude
03-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Your drinking water shouldn't be softened but your laundry and bathroom water will be. Typically if it's working when your rinsed off in the shower your skin will feel slippery, with hard water you won't.
As far as if it's working it can really depend on what kind you have. Is there salt in the brine tank? Does it regenerate by a flow sensor or on a timer. If these aren't working your landlord should call the company who it's made by to check it out.

GTSLOW
03-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Well there's a tall white tube thing with some stuff on the top. Kinda looks like a gas or acetylene tank. Then just to the side of it is a large black barrel with salt at the bottom. Then there's some small clear tubing that runs from the white container into the black one with the salt.

SSDude
03-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Sounds like you have a two tank system.
Here's a link that describes how they work.
http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumbingrepair/ss/water_softener.htm

ricksws7
03-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I work for softwater in waukesha. simple test,take a small glass and fill it halfway with water,ad 1or2 drops of dish soap if it is soft it will create susdsing when shacken if not its hard. If you need help with a softener just ask,Rick