PDA

View Full Version : records?

88Nightmare
03-14-2009, 12:26 AM
My mother has a record collection she was looking to start getting rid of. This collection has literally hundreds and hundreds of records and I don't even know where to begin. Anyone know of any local stores that might be interested in buying them? I am sure they are worth something to the right person, so I don't want someone to lowball her. She's had many of these for 40 or more years and are all in great condition. Ebay was a possible idea, but when dealing with this quantity of records, I didn't wanna have to deal with creating hundreds of different auctions and then deal with shipping and possibly retarded buyers not paying.....etc. Anyone have any ideas?

lordairgtar
03-14-2009, 01:06 AM
I guess Craigslist would be one idea. Are these 45 rpm records? Or 33 rpm? 45s from the early rock and roll era command better prices. 33s are kind of flat but special import discs or picture discs get good prices (these are records that have pictures in the vinyl, or of a different color instead of just black.) A blue pressing of It's A Beautiful Day's White bird album is worth about 30 bucks. They used to have a record swap meet at the Burnham Bowl on (I think) 56th street in Stallis. Value is subjective, though. You have to have someone who is really wanting to buy

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-14-2009, 07:16 AM
I acquired a similar record collection last summer, all the good bands too, classic rock bands like WKLH plays.

3 milk crates full with covers & jackets in good shape with the records being a bit dusty and well played, free on the curbside. Rare this day and age but many records are still only worth 2 or 4 bucks each on the ebay. Obviously some rare Beatle album may be worth 50 or 150 or 1500 to right person. Good luck sounds like a big project.

I go to best buy like 2 times a year and when I went this Xmas I was surprised as hell to see all the records they had for sale. Rock and rap from the 80's and 90's, was weird to see that many records for sale.
I haven't been to a dedicated "record store" for 15 years, Thanks internets. :thumbsup

88Nightmare
03-14-2009, 03:56 PM
well as far as filling up milkcrates.... probably at least 10 crates, no joke. So even if we average $4 per album, ya figure 500 albums is $2,000 not counting shipping costs and whatnot. Couldn't be much to mail a record in a bubble wrapped envelope. 2 bucks maybe. All the album covers are still in great shape considering their age, and I know a lot of rock groups from back then frequently had pretty artistic looking album covers. The covers are probably worth more then the record itself.

Todd Z
03-14-2009, 06:39 PM
You can count on .25 to 3.00 per record or album.

88Nightmare
03-14-2009, 07:08 PM
great, where can I get this .25 to 3.00 per album?

we started making a detailed list of exactly what she has. We went through about 25% of her collection today and I counted about 144 records so far.... so if thats only 25% of her whole collection, she could have upwards of 500-600 total.

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Thats alot of vinyl, do you have a turntable for sale ?

Todd Z
03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
There are alot of record collectors out there. try a google search. I used to be a club DJ in Milwaukee and Chicago and still probably have several thousand 12" and remix stuff that I will probably never get rid of. I did sell a bunch of LP's and 33's probably ten years ago to a shop on 9th and Oklahoma. Don't know if it's still there.

88Nightmare
03-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Thats alot of vinyl, do you have a turntable for sale ?

my mother has a turntable, although im not sure if she wants to part with it. its relatively new actually, works great.

lordairgtar
03-15-2009, 10:30 AM
There are alot of record collectors out there. try a google search. I used to be a club DJ in Milwaukee and Chicago and still probably have several thousand 12" and remix stuff that I will probably never get rid of. I did sell a bunch of LP's and 33's probably ten years ago to a shop on 9th and Oklahoma. Don't know if it's still there.
That was Mean Mountain Music and I think that placed closed.