PDA

View Full Version : 60th and Silver Spring

TheRX7Project
03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm eyeing up a house in that area. (Actually, 57th and Carmen to be exact).

I know it's not the best area but the house is super cheap... and renting is getting old. It has a garage as well as the house doesn't LOOK too bad.

Anyone live around the area? How bad really is it? I'm not asking for people to say "OMG don't live there, I never would" I'm asking for some legitimate "I've lived there" or "my friend lives there" advice.

I'm fully prepped to put an alarm on the garage and lock my doors... I just want to get a feel for how bad it "really" is.

Holeshot
03-13-2009, 01:53 PM
My son lived up there several years ago and it was getting rough then. Personally I would look further west and north or look into Tosa.

LIZMO
03-13-2009, 01:56 PM
all i gotta say is the potholes suck in that area lol

03CVLX
03-13-2009, 02:02 PM
When I go back to work tuesday i could run a cad search on the address and see if there was any major medical or fire related calls there. :rolf

JC70SS
03-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Ah my grandfather has a business on 61st and Villard and I would say NO WAY!!

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-13-2009, 02:05 PM
I work right around the corner near 68th and Florist. Bad Area. Price is the bait, but don't hook.

That_Guy
03-13-2009, 02:09 PM
i work in that area quite often its not the best in fact we had shit stolen from are trucks but some surrounding areas are kinda on the upswing.

That_Guy
03-13-2009, 02:11 PM
ive got to add that the area wont get any better till they plow down the low income housing projects that have been there sense ww2

2 bad z's
03-13-2009, 02:17 PM
not the best area but its not the worst either ,if its in your price range than go for it and hope ya get good neighbors any thing is better than renting

shoooo32
03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
My friend just bought a house in a neighborhood off of 51st and browndeer. Seems like a nice house (1500 sq ft) built in the 50's with a big yard and a 2 1/2 car garage and he paid around $125,000. As far as being a shady area, I didn't feel uncomfortable.

HRSEPLA
03-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Do not buy there if you are not from there.:thumbsup

mrz28M6
03-13-2009, 02:50 PM
i wouldnt be caught around that area on weekend nights. lol

TheRX7Project
03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
That's like halfway across town... lol

I'll wait a while and see what's up. Maybe roll through a few times and see what the hood is like I guess.

As said, anything is better then renting, but at the same time I don't want to worry about my shit getting stolen or vandalized- which can happen anywhere you live I suppose. I mean when I lived on 25th and Becher I had to keep an eye on my stuff but for the most part, you locked your car and your doors and everything was still there.

JC70SS
03-13-2009, 03:06 PM
ive got to add that the area wont get any better till they plow down the low income housing projects that have been there sense ww2

westlawn

Poncho
03-13-2009, 03:41 PM
i used to work out there, there is a reason everything is fenced. keeps the animals out.

mrz28M6
03-13-2009, 03:42 PM
lmao!! ^^^^

Voodoo Chick
03-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Personally, I wouldn't recommend living there. It's pretty bad right now, and it WILL get worse. Even if you put up fences and alarms, people will still mess with you and your stuff. I think (JUST my opinion) that you should wait a little longer, and find somewhere safer, and nicer. You'll most likely be happier in the long run. Good luck to you.

RanJer
03-13-2009, 03:54 PM
I used to drive thru there on my way from work to "home"... As said, the roads suck majorly as far as potholes, ruts, uneven lanes, and moron drivers. On the plus side, 60th and Silver Spring is just down the road from the cop shop.

I'd say drive out there a bit, see what's around, that's going to be your best way of knowing..

Poncho
03-13-2009, 03:55 PM
lmao!! ^^^^

before i get blasted, animals come in all shapes, sizes, and races.

pOrk
03-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Its not better then renting if you can't get your money back out of it. There is a reason there are TONS of houses for sale in that area.

TheRX7Project
03-13-2009, 04:39 PM
It's better than renting because I'll have a garage, no downstairs neighbors, and I can do pretty much WTF I want to with no worries about what my landlord thinks.

Plus, at the price of this house, it'd be cheaper than renting.

DirtyMax
03-13-2009, 05:11 PM
There's sub 100K houses in the city of Milwaukee near Stallis', Greenfield, etc.

Look around... you don't have to "settle" esp. in this market. You being a buyer only (as opposed to also having to sell a home) are in a great position.

I'm all over Milwaukee visiting the public schools all day and I'd say that's about top 5 in areas I try avoid, maybe even top 3. I think the only reason I haven't been mugged is because I'm usually wearing a suit and they probably take me for a detective... :goof

michelle
03-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Plus you get a nice $8k for a new homeowner for your taxes next year if you purchase before December 1st. Might as well take advantage of that too, but I would find a better area.

Nick
03-13-2009, 05:25 PM
$8k may not help when your home depreciates significantly more in this shit economy. That's not reason enough to convince me to buy a home right now. I could easily afford one but I choose not to due to the money i'm saving by renting. I know too many people that are in way over their heads and can hardly make their payments while i'm still putting money in the bank (when i'm not spending it on stupid shit like camera stuff haha). They couldn't sell now to save their asses because they'd be upside down 30k+.

BeesTwinEG
03-13-2009, 05:26 PM
I used stay @ 68th and villard. it wasn't bad at all just goofy lil kids running around.
far as 60th st it isn't bad but if your not familiar with the area then you should not get a house over that area. Westlawn apts are one block away.. i hardly doubt u'll like it but if you are familiar with the area then go for it!
I'd rather look more towards brown deer area or even m. falls.

TheRX7Project
03-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah you guys are right. I'll keep my eyes open.

team beater
03-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, its funny how many comments come across how horrible it is but its people who have driven through etc, but have no real idea of the neighborhood. Someone said in an earlier post its not the best but its not the worst. I grew up on 55th and Villiard and my mom just sold her house a little over a year ago. If you are contemplating on buying it depends on what you are comfortable with and what you are looking for in a neighborhood. Do you have kids, are you single, are you looking for this to be a long term home to raise a family, do you have soft skin and scared by whats different? Yes you will live 3 blocks from west lawn, but what you will find is that west lawn tends to stay in west lawn. also unless you are looking for trouble, you wont really encounter it. Some of the pros, you can literally do almost anything you want and no one will care(no one else is looking for trouble) its cheap, its better than renting. like i said earlier it depends on you. One thing to consider as well though being a buyers market although people or banks are asking more than you want to spend for homes in "better" neighborhoods doesn't mean you cant get them for what you want to spend.

If i was single and the house was a great deal, i would buy.

hope this helps

TheRX7Project
03-13-2009, 06:16 PM
That's the thing. I'm single. I went to King, and used to hang out on the northside. I'm not looking to live there forever. Plus, the house is super, super cheap.

I'm glad to get some real insight from a "been there, done that" person. Like I said, I'll probably roll through and check it out... I'm not going to go there looking for trouble... and I have no issues "minding my own business" when it comes to what the neighbors are doing, so long as it doesn't involve me or my stuff.

Holeshot
03-13-2009, 06:23 PM
When the wife and I first got together in 86 we lived above a sports shop on 34th and Villard. The building is gone now but that area was a shit hole then. So I can imagine how far west the riff raff is now 20 some years later. Like I said in my other post my kid lived up that way. I never went there with out my carry.

pOrk
03-13-2009, 06:58 PM
How cheap is cheap? I've seen a few places in the dirty stallis for less then 80k and those will atleast hold their value

PB86MCSS
03-13-2009, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't recommend buying a house in a declining area. Easier to say when home prices were rising everywhere but the shady areas, but still easy for me to say. Not the worst but you could snag a house for cheap in a better area, IMO. Whats your range? House next door to me was put on the market and sold within a month, the listing price was only 125k and I'm a decent part of StAllis too...needed a little work but nothing major, deals are out there.

-stew-
03-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I was born and raised on 57th and silver spring. that neighorhood was a slum when I moved away from it in '99. I'd stay away. you can rent a place with a garage, ya know?

TheRX7Project
03-13-2009, 08:28 PM
How cheap is cheap? I've seen a few places in the dirty stallis for less then 80k and those will atleast hold their value

$15k

-stew-
03-13-2009, 08:36 PM
have you been in or seen pics of the property? if it's sat empty its prolly been busted into and trashed. possible burst pipes in the basement if it sat empty over the winter. just things to think about.

LIL EVO
03-13-2009, 08:44 PM
LOL that is NOT a good area. Do not move there.

It was bad when I lived there when I was a kid NINETEEN years ago.

Shootings, child molesters, home break-ins, being jumped by gangs.. yeah.

My mom and her boyfriend lived a few blocks from there up until 8 years ago or so. It got so bad that they had to move out. No choice.

If you really want to know how "bad it is", then drive down there at 6pm on a Friday night. Walk down the block, have dinner at the McDonalds at 60th and SS. If you want to live there, I don't know why anyone wouldn't spend some time in the area first.

Yooformula
03-13-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm eyeing up a house in that area. (Actually, 57th and Carmen to be exact).

I know it's not the best area but the house is super cheap... .

YOU are buying the house right? YOU have to live there right? YOU already know your answer. who gives a phuck what other people say about the area! You want to live in an area based on someone's else opinion even though you THINK it might be bad? If you even THINK its not the best area, then dont buy! Its not going to magically get better because you dumped your savings into the house. Maybe you should rent a little bit longer before you make your biggest investment of your life right now.:durr

Breecher_7
03-13-2009, 09:07 PM
You can buy homes right now for under 5K in the real shit areas of town. The banks want nothing to do with them and just want them gone, you might as well burn the fuckers down though, they need complete rehabs.

Yooformula
03-13-2009, 09:08 PM
yeah but you still have the neighbors and the rest of the neighborhood to deal with.

Breecher_7
03-13-2009, 09:21 PM
yeah but you still have the neighbors and the rest of the neighborhood to deal with.

I totally agree and that is why the banks just want them gone. There not worth the hassle to try to sell.

SBC-Fox
03-13-2009, 09:25 PM
i live by 60th and good hope its fine i dont even lock my car doors never had a my deck stolen or even attemped theres rough parts here and there bout it

moels
03-13-2009, 09:25 PM
YOU are buying the house right? YOU have to live there right? YOU already know your answer. who gives a phuck what other people say about the area! You want to live in an area based on someone's else opinion even though you THINK it might be bad? If you even THINK its not the best area, then dont buy! Its not going to magically get better because you dumped your savings into the house. Maybe you should rent a little bit longer before you make your biggest investment of your life right now.:durr

Good advice Yoo!

I would really check out the neighborhood and see exactly what it's like before doing anything. It might be a good short term equity build for you, maybe not. Check all your bases before deciding.

team beater
03-13-2009, 09:29 PM
$15k

15k, i would be on it, thats cheaper than a car and you OWN IT. What people don't understand is that the morons that are "in over there head" in todays economy bought houses that were over priced to begin with and now that the market has turned they are upside down because they were sold a dream of doubling there homes worth in 5 years. And look at it like this if you live in for lets say 5 years, realistically you "could" have it paid off, you might spend a few grand updating or repairing but you would definitely be able to get 20 out of it. considering that the average home value in the 53218 area code is $60,000 (http://www.insiderpages.com/zip/53218), (my mom sold for 73 a year ago)when the market is down is the time to buy and sell when up, guess what the market is down. If you sell in 4 to 5 years and get out what the average is now you are still making 40g's seems smart to me, even if you sell for 20, you break even, you lived free and the way you want for the last 5 years -taxes of course. In my opinion in 4 to 5 years the market will reflect realistic home values and if you decide to sell you are going to make a mint.

Rocket Power
03-13-2009, 09:30 PM
$15k
There's a reason it's that cheap even for a crappy area.
I used to live around 64th and Hampton and that's as close to there as I'd want to be.
If it was vacant the copper pipes may be all gone too along with wire, when prices were high people were breaking into houses and stealing that stuff

team beater
03-13-2009, 09:31 PM
ps "biggest investment in your life" the average person buys 3 to 4 homes in there life time, also again 15k is cheaper than a car

Yooformula
03-13-2009, 09:34 PM
ps at THIS point in his life it would be the biggest investment of his life. then when he gets his next home that one might be the biggest one.

of course there are the morons that bought a house super cheap thinking it would go up in value not realizing the AREA and surrounding properties will not allow it to go up. That over inflated real estate market we saw for years I dont think will be back, more like a realistic market will come around. Buying in a dump regardless of price will still be in a dump. Sure you can do what you want but what happens when you want to sell it? As a family guy I wouldnt do it but maybe for a single guy with a shit car and nothing to worry about the tax breaks alone might be worth it. I am all for getting out of rentals but not to walk into a pile that needs a ton of work has potentially crappy neighbors and oh yeah, WONT sell when you want out unless you dump it.

TheRX7Project
03-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm not planning on using it as an investment, just want to stop renting.

I didn't think about that with the pipes and wiring being gone. IDK I guess I just have to see how I feel about it and how the house is upon further inspection.

I wasn't asking for so much advice as I was asking if anyone has/does live around there, and how it actually is to live in that area. Because you can hear one thing from people who DON'T live there (see the Gary, IN bashing threads) but hear a totally other story from the people who deal with it day in and day out.

SBC-Fox
03-13-2009, 09:58 PM
lived same area for 3 years and grew up just down the road by 76th and good hope ide still have to argue with people that say its so bad when ide say its just certian spots its not compton lmao

team beater
03-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm not planning on using it as an investment, just want to stop renting.

I didn't think about that with the pipes and wiring being gone. IDK I guess I just have to see how I feel about it and how the house is upon further inspection.

I wasn't asking for so much advice as I was asking if anyone has/does live around there, and how it actually is to live in that area. Because you can hear one thing from people who DON'T live there (see the Gary, IN bashing threads) but hear a totally other story from the people who deal with it day in and day out.

If i were single and looking, i would look in to it just my opinion

claimsman
03-13-2009, 11:09 PM
it fairly close to a police department that should say enough

claimsman
03-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Yoo is totally right, the economy now keep looking you find cheap anywhere

wrath
03-14-2009, 12:03 AM
There is such a huge housing surplus right now that places aren't going to get rehabbed/you aren't going to see gentrification. It's not going to happen. Unless we have a *severe* market correction, house prices are going to be stagnant for at least five years. I don't care what anyone here says... the price of the average house is beyond what the average family can afford. A $15,000 house is going to be worth no more than that unless the neighborhood changes.

If you have $15k in the bank, you can survive/co-habitat in the neighborhood, and you can secure everything you own inside the house... I say go for it. Even if you can't sell it for more than you paid for it the *only* thing you have to pay are taxes. So all that money that used to go to rent can essentially go in the bank for your next house.

Hell, if you have more money than that, maybe start snagging up several houses in a neighborhood. You could gentrify it yourself. Or let all the crack addicts burn them all down and next thing you know you'll have the only house on an entire city block so you'll have a giant yard. :rolf

There are some houses in Waukesha County under $100k now.

On another note, anyone else notice that there have been houses in Milwaukee County selling for under a grand? I think I saw one last week sell for $1.

HRSEPLA
03-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Just be careful, there is always a reason something is 'too good to be true' in cars, AND ecspecially in houses... People who buy houses for a living have heard about and/or seen every property before you usually get to it and there are reasons they are not sold.
Buying the wrong house now can hinder you from your next house purchase, you don't want any dead weight keeping you from the one you want next.

P.S. If you are going to check out a neighborhood, make sure you go at the right times and year otherwise it might not give you a good 'pulse' of what your surroundings are.

Good luck, and now is the time to buy, keep looking!:thumbsup

badvenom
03-14-2009, 09:08 AM
This is a stupid fn thread. U should ask someone who lives near there {55 carmen } not people who have driven past there . Live where your money will allow you to live

turbogarrett
03-14-2009, 10:22 AM
If all the mechanicals of the house are good to go and you are comfortable living there, go for it.

If you decide to "upgrade" in a few years, you may be able to rent the house out for 6-700 and see some positive cash flow.

WhatsADSM
03-14-2009, 10:45 AM
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. That is the FIRST thing you should think about when buying real estate

In terms of that location and house IMO I wouldn't even think about it. Not to mention, I can only imagine what an inspector would come up with in a $15k house. I'd bet it is borderline livable. A house, no matter what isn't something that you should just jump into. It is a very big responsibility, and a decision that really should not be executed solely based on cost/"yes it has a garage"

I don't want to divulge too much info in this thread, but IMO in your situation I wouldn't do it. My personal opinion is if you are serious about buying a house do it right, and I wouldn't do it with so much risk:
Continue renting and just put away every penny possible into an account that you can use for a down payment. In the mean time start talking to banks to get an idea of what they can do for you in terms of financing. Again, I know your situation and it is definitely complicated, something you will want to speak with a (few) bank(s) about. Start saving, get all your ducks in a row with the financing portion, and then start looking for what you want. I don't really agree with everything wrath says, however I do agree with the fact that the housing market did need a strong correction (which it's doing right now), and there is a VERY large surplus of homes out there... So I wouldn't rush into anything. Like I said start saving, get all your ducks in a row, and then watch the market like a hawk. In a market like this a first time home buyer is in a great position and you will eventually be able to find something that fits your situation almost perfectly.

You got my number, give me a call... I'd be more than happy to help.

wikked
03-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I lived on 61st & Hampton until I was 21, and even back then Westlawn was a known gangsta paradise. Cops used to live in the units just to attempt to keep the peace.

We finally moved after the drug house opened up shop across the street, but had too many close calls with gun carrying thugz long before that.
Our block was considered "decent" compared to that area at the time...

The price might seem inviting, but that's because no one wants to live there.

Beagle
03-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I work on silver spring and on monday i saw a dodge caravan hit the pole on 60th a silver spring it was laying there with no doors on it funny as hell.

TheRX7Project
03-14-2009, 11:21 AM
This is a stupid fn thread. U should ask someone who lives near there {55 carmen } not people who have driven past there . Live where your money will allow you to live

If you read my OP, that's what I was asking for.

Anyway, I'm going to wait. After looking at my finances, I can afford a little more house than I originally thought anyway- and a lot more house than this one. I'm going to wait for the right house at the right price in the right area.

Al
03-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Don't listen to any real estate agent who tells you the house is located in an "up and coming" neighborhood. What they are really saying is "it cannot get much worse."

TheRX7Project
03-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh no, I haven't even talked to a real estate agent yet. I was just browsing online at houses for sale and came across said house.

Reverend Cooper
03-14-2009, 01:35 PM
really,the projects are right next door. have fun

jon_we4
03-16-2009, 04:24 PM
I grew up around 60th and Good Hope. I had friends scattered between my place and like 45th and Villard. One friend was right on 59th or 58th and Silver Spring. The house was a glorified shack.

You aren't going to die or get mugged every day. It's not that terrible.

I would think more about the house itself and if it has any major, nearly un-fixable problems. Owning a home in a "decent" area isn't fun. Shit breaks. Think about how bad it can get if someone doesn't maintain it. Plus it would be incredibly hard to sell in any economy.

For the price, I'd tear down the house and build a super crazy metal garage. Few bays for cars and a lift, and a loft to live in. Fence and barbwire around it (within the law). They make some crazy steel garage doors that I can not imagine are easy to break into. The worst they could do is spray paint it up, which could be taken care of easily.

Then again, if you were willing to drive - I'm sure you could get a larger lot of land for less money as you get further from the city.

LIL EVO
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Can't have barb wire at a residential property. Can't have any higher than 6' fence either and it can't even be "security fence"

TheRX7Project
03-16-2009, 04:52 PM
What about electrifying it?

LIL EVO
03-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Highly doubt it. Lawsuit city.

You're usually stuck with a 6 foot high fence in the back and sides of the house and 3 foot max in the front

TheRX7Project
03-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Land mines?

Holeshot
03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Shit I would put razor ribbon around the dam house. What cop is gonna come to your door in that neighborhood anyway.